1/8.....1/4......Ever see a Half Mile Pro Mod? (1 Viewer)

watched that. dude got top speed award. said once he got up to speed it was smooth as silk. just getting going was difficult.

Looked like an ice rink, even the stock appearing Mustang that he spotted couldn't hook up. But that Vette is Badass, love the '63s.

The title of this thread was click bait for me. Didn't know you were talking about an airport runway. On a dragstrip, a half mile run would put the finish line near the sand trap. That sure would make things interesting! 😂

The title of this thread was click bait for me. Didn't know you were talking about an airport runway. On a dragstrip, a half mile run would put the finish line near the sand trap. That sure would make things interesting! 😂
I thought the title would draw in more views....I fixed it hopefully!
I love anything automotive being used where it's not usually expected. All he did was add a 3.00 rear gear to it and won the event.
Next, I want to see a Top Fueler (Scott Palmer....are you listening?) change their gearing and try this....the top speed for a half mile event is around 259mph from a Lamborghini Gallardo.
Come to think of it, Scott has that Studebaker Nitro Pro Mod......it's got the aero of a Bonneville car and he doesn't have to worry about hooking up right away................🤔

I thought the title would draw in more views....I fixed it hopefully!
I love anything automotive being used where it's not usually expected. All he did was add a 3.00 rear gear to it and won the event.
Next, I want to see a Top Fueler (Scott Palmer....are you listening?) change their gearing and try this....the top speed for a half mile event is around 259mph from a Lamborghini Gallardo.
Come to think of it, Scott has that Studebaker Nitro Pro Mod......it's got the aero of a Bonneville car and he doesn't have to worry about hooking up right away................🤔
I think the Goodyear slicks would be the limiting factor at trying to make a 1/2 mile run in a top fuel car. Pretty sure I have read that 330 mph is pushing the envelope on the speeds
the Goodyears are designed to tolerate.

I've seen some Pro Mods run a half-mile in an eighth-mile, does that count?
That for sure should count assuming you are talking about Pro Mod racer's typical "right, left plus up and down" passes.
Then there's Jeff Jones crazy forward and backward pass at Ennis, TX this year.
Also can't forget the Brandon Pesz and Dustin Nesloney's "Half Mile of Mayhem" race at Gainesville this year.

I'm wondering, will we ever see 1/4 mile racing again, in the future. Besides the NHRA (God Bless them), 1/8 mile racing seems to be the norm. I pray the NHRA never adopts 1/8th mile racing. I don't think they will because despite 1/8th mile being the Tracks/driver preferred format, you can hear crickets chirping in the stands after each run :cool:

I'm wondering, will we ever see 1/4 mile racing again, in the future. Besides the NHRA (God Bless them), 1/8 mile racing seems to be the norm. I pray the NHRA never adopts 1/8th mile racing. I don't think they will because despite 1/8th mile being the Tracks/driver preferred format, you can hear crickets chirping in the stands after each run :cool:
You haven't been to a Duck race or a lot of the packed stand races at other East coast 1/8th mile races yet? They surprised me too. Many of the 1/4 mile tracks are now packing their tracks with big 1/8th mile events. No, they don't have Gator National capacity stands. But its still standing room only at many of their events. And that's IF you get in before the Fire Dept. stops ticket sales.

One time after driving 3 hours to a Duck race at SGMP, we just made it in before the Fire Marshal and cops stopped entry. Watched the race from a grassy slope past the end of the big bleachers as there wasn't a seat left and it was 3+ deep on the fence. Crazy crowded.

No, 1/8th mile it not my favorite but I have come to enjoy it a lot. Crazy quick passes where 700' of track is often used in an 660' race. 1/8th Mile racing is my 45 year old son and his friends favorite and they could care less about the NHRA Gators even though I took him for about 8 years in a row when he was 15-23.

Me, I'm just glad he isn't at comic book and super hero conventions. He's glad I don't polka dance. Racings Racing!

I see quarter mile racing all day long at the NHRA events.

It just happens without two of the competing classes.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back