Yates Calling it Quits (1 Viewer)

Jim Yates is a class act. There's no question about that. He has a high degree of integrity, and at the same time, is a fierce competitor on the track. His Pro Stock racing record speaks for itself: two World Championships, 25 race wins, 58 final rounds, 418 round wins, and 740 rounds of competition. This weekend at Houston will be Jim's 408th race. I hope that it isn't his last, but unless a "sponsorship miracle" happens, it will be.

While Jim has signifcant accomplishments on track, what I'll remember most about his years of racing as part of the Pontiac Pro Stock contingent were his contributions off track:

1. His eagerness to visit the kids at Riley Hospital in Indy, Columbus Children's Hospital, and Shands Hospital in Gainesville for some 10 years. He always volunteered months in advance of each visit, and typically was accompanied by his wife Toni.

2. His four trips to visit our troops in Germany & Kuwait in November of 2005-2008 as part of the GM Racing/USO tour group. When our original plan for flight arrangements in 2005 was derailed, Jim was the one who got a contact with the USO that allowed us to go on the trip. Like everyone on these trips, Jim was tireless, and always had a smile & a handshake for our troops. While at Landstuhl Hospital in Germany one year, he was asked by a wounded Marine to autograph his Purple Heart presentation box. Jim did so, and was rewarded with a smile from a fallen hero.

3. His countless autograph sessions on behalf of Pontiac, including one 14-hour long taping of TV commercials for Pontiac at the Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. He never turned down any request made by Pontiac in all of the years that he drove a Pro Stocker.

For those of you attending the upcoming Houston race, please make a point to go by his pit area and visit with Jim & Toni, and thank them for all that they've done for the last 19 years. I know that they will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thanks.

Fred H. Simmonds
Drag Racing Marketing Manager
General Motors
1997-2008

To bad his NHRA blog doesn't have a email address on it. It would be nice to sent a message of support and thanks. Jim is a hard working racer and I will miss him from the lineup.:(

I can't agree more with all the other posters. As a fan I've had numerous interactions with Jim over the years and he has always been upbeat and pleasant, regardless of how the weekend was going. He also was extremely supportive of RFC, always attending the chapel services on Sunday and glad to be there. (Who will sit in the first row now?) Hope Jim can come back when the economy gets better-he is one of the class guys of NHRA.

I loved watching that Pontiac mow down the field./QUOTE]

I don't doubt you had a blast that weekend, Johnny, but I have my doubts about this particular statement! LMAO!!! :eek:

Sean D

Sean...my second love are Pontiacs! My first new muscle car was a '78 T/A 6.6 Trans Am that I ordered from Jerry Bickel's employer at the time...Troy Motors in Troy, MO. With Jerry's help we put Eldorado (Cadillac) metering rods in the carb, a curve kit in the distributor, Hooker headers, 4.10 gears and a Borg Warner Super T-10 transmission. That car would run circles around my '70 440 Magnum R/T Charger (untouched 18,000 mile survivor car). The Trans Am was also quicker than my '69 lift off hood 440 6-Pack Super Bee. I love Mopars, but the quickest street car I've ever had was a Pontiac!

Jerry has been a friend of mine, and our family, since 1974. It was a pleasure watching him tune Yates to all those victories. It was a little tough watching Jim put the Dodges on their trailers, but I'm loyal to Jerry and enjoyed every single minute of it.

I have fond memories of Jim and Toni also. Many years ago when Jim was running with the Joe Gibbs organization with the McDonalds car, I was at Topeka running Super Gas, and we were in our usual "other side of the world" road course pit areas, and after first round we were beginning the long process of loading up after losing second round. While we were involved in this process, Jim and Toni walked up and began visiting. As Jim was a former SG racer, he was truly interested in my lowly sportsman operation. The lawn chairs were still unpacked, so they sat down and visited with us for almost an hour. I still have the pictures we took of Jim and Toni standing by my call. It was really something to see Pro racers taking time to wander out into the far reaches of the Topeka sportsman pits to visit with the racers and "return to their roots" as they put it. Jim and Toni, if you happen to see this, your kindness and time are still remembered and will be for a long time to come!

Rich, if your question was directed to me the answer is no. If my memory serves me correctly, Pro Stck was going to follow our session. He walked up to take a look at the right lane while I was taking a look at it, too. We were the next pair to fire as we waited for Safety Safari to clean up a mess at the finish line. That's when he offered up an opinion and advice that applies to Pro Stock as well as TA/FC.

Thanks Randy...

It's really to bad that pro drag racing has to be an all or nothing game. I understand why but it's too bad none the less. Let's hope they don't stay away to long.

I can't agree more with all the other posters. As a fan I've had numerous interactions with Jim over the years and he has always been upbeat and pleasant, regardless of how the weekend was going. He also was extremely supportive of RFC, always attending the chapel services on Sunday and glad to be there. (Who will sit in the first row now?) Hope Jim can come back when the economy gets better-he is one of the class guys of NHRA.
Brian:

I don't know when I will be racing at another race, that will depend on if and when we find some funding. However, I do know that I will be attending the Sonoma National event to be present at a board meeting for RFC. Toni and I have kidded about bringing the rig out, parking on the road course and racing Super Gas for old times sake. LOL It does look relaxing to us but I am sure that the guys that race it every week beg to differ! What is the saying? The grass always looks greener...Thanks so much for your kind words. Jim

Sorry to hear you have pull the plug Jim,

It is a shame now a days the talented people who "deserve" to be out there can't because of money. Back when we raced, I feel we did pretty well and we raced with no money, however a financial break would have been all it took to put us over the top. Racing has become so expensive in the last 10 years it has pushed a lot of good racers out the door.

I guess this is a sign of the times as much as we don't want to accept it.

I hope you can find some help and get back out there, the sport needs great ambassadors like you and your family Jim. If you are ever in the Chicago area, stop in and I will buy you a pizza...Wayne's Pizza, Arlington Heights, IL.

Good Luck,

Tony Gillig

#7 right now at Houston. With a little luck Jim could come out a winner. Let's hope and this may delay the retirement.

I'm hoping that these aren't Jim's "final" stats, but if so, here's a snapshot of his 19 year Pro Stock career:

2 Pro Stock Championships
408 races
25 wins
58 final rounds
420 round wins
743 total rounds
career best ET: 6.568
career best top speed: 209.85 (run this past weekend @ Houston)

Those are very impressive stats for any racer in any NHRA category!

Jim & Toni: thanks for all of your contributions to NHRA Championship Drag Racing for the last 19 years. You've both been wonderful ambassadors of the sport!

Fred Simmonds

Fred, thank you for the support you've given this sport over the years. I would love to see Jim and Toni find some non-automotive related funding that would put them back in the mix soon. They have been such an asset to this sport over the years it would be very hard to say good by permanently.

#7 right now at Houston. With a little luck Jim could come out a winner. Let's hope and this may delay the retirement.

Jack;
I never said that I was retiring, I am now going to use the time I was spending going to the races to look for the funding to be more competitive. I spent all day yesterday in meetings and on the phone trying to secure the funding to go to Vegas. I have finally admitted defeat and am now focused on finding funding for Atlanta. Wish me luck. I will be driving back to Virginia starting in about an hour and will check back tomorrow.
Jim

I never said that I was retiring, I am now going to use the time I was spending going to the races to look for the funding to be more competitive. I spent all day yesterday in meetings and on the phone trying to secure the funding to go to Vegas. I have finally admitted defeat and am now focused on finding funding for Atlanta. Wish me luck. I will be driving back to Virginia starting in about an hour and will check back tomorrow.
Jim

That's great news Jim! We hope to see you back in Atlanta.

I am glad you stepped in here and dropped a note. You have so many fans and all of us are hopeful you find something. Best of luck and hope to see you later in the year at the races I will be attending.

Keep after it, Jim. The NHRA fans are behind you 100%. It would be a shame to lose such a classy individual and team/family from the tour. Best of luck on your sponsor hunt, and hope to see you back on track shortly.

Jim,
You gotta keep up with your blogs. Everyone enjoys the behind the scenes and family activities that you and Toni let us in on. Hopefully you will be back soon...."how cool is that?"

i can clearly remember 2006 in c-bus when yates and grump rocked the field.

good luck jim!

Jack;
Jim

Go Get Um. Jim!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you can find a great sponsor, You deserve it.

Jack;
Jim

Glad to here your not retiring. At least with the countdown missing a couple races won't hurt too bad if you get funding soon. You've got the driving ability to get it done. Good Luck!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back