Yates Calling it Quits (1 Viewer)

Super Mod

Nitro Member
Anyone hear what prompted Jim Yates to announce he is retiring after the Houston race? Sponsorship problems perhaps?

Never met Jim or family, but after following him and his families exploits on NHRA's drivers blog there can't be anyone who can say he is not a class act. NHRA pro Stock will be the loser when he is not competing. Great team, great family, great man. We'll miss you Jim,Toni and kids!

Racing is what the Yates family does. Without sufficient funding it's virtually impossible to chase this deal at the professional level and they have done miracles over the years. As I understand, a good portion of his income is derived from commercial real estate investments that have paid quite regularly over the years but the economy being what it is, I would suspect he's been effected as many of us in the business have. It's a shame to lose yet another one of the hard workers who have done it themselves like Jim, Jamie, Toni and company have over the years.

Jim checks in here from time to time so I'll say "Thank you for all you've done for our sport over the years and the legacy you've already left. That being said, I fully expect to see you back out once funding has been secured and I'll wish you the best with the properties. You will be sorely missed."
Sincerely,
Your tall friends from Phoenix

Jim Yates probably doesn't remember it, but he came to me and gave me some advice on the starting line during first round at the Phoenix national event in 1999 when they used to run Top Alcohol that helped us run low et of eliminations and reach the final only to lose to Frank Manzo on a hole shot.

He's a very smart guy and I'm sure he isn't taking this decision lightly.

I met Jim at an autograph session quite a few years ago when we had jr dragsters on display. He was so nice, polite and had a great sense of humor. He signed one of his McD's t-shirts for me and I still have it in my closet. His handwriting was so neat, and I will never forget talking with him that entire evening. I always cheer for him, but the past years he hasn't done very well. As someone else already said here, PS will be losing a very class act. If this is true, I hope it is temporary and that he will be back again with his genuine charm and grace. What a bummer.

Ive always watched,hung around there pits,seem like real nice bunch! Gonna miss the Yates family.

Sad to hear that they`re hanging it up, but if anybody reads their blog then it`s not surprising. My wife and I had a long conversation with Jim, Toni and Melissa a couple years ago in Vegas and they were as nice as could be. Hopefully Melissa stays on at Wiley-X and that she`ll still be at some of the races...she`s a sweetie!;)

I saw a Wiley-X sticker on Line and Anderson's car at Gainesville... That is not as important as the positive influence and professionalism the Yates family brought to Pro Stock. I remember talking to Jim and Toni at a test session at Speedworld in Arizona a few years back. They were very kind, which was cool.

Jim and Toni - I hope you have a great time on your boat and enjoy the "downtime". Hopefully we will see you back again when the time is right. Best of luck.

Just wondered if it was a Wiley X or a horsepower problem that pushed him to this point. I have a autographed picture of the hamburger car from a PRI show. Maybe his best looking ride.

Yep, he's one of the good guys. Sorry to see him go. I wonder if there's a possibility if he'd ever work with/for someone else in a non-driver capacity?
Or, the proverbial question to him, Hillary, Whit, Scelzi, Sampey, Grubnic, Fuller and the rest - would you come back if the "marketplace" improves over time? I would think so.

He signed a McDonalds Pontiac diecast for me at Action Performance, which I am very proud of.

jim is trully a great guy and so freindly to the fans at the track. defianltly a bummer that jim might be hanging it up. i hope he finds funding soon.

Yates ran top alcohol at one time?

Yes, I'm afraid this trend will continue through out the year. The problem is there just are not any companies willing to commit big dollars and it doesn't effect just drag racing. AT&T dropped a golf tourney just because they were afraid of being singled out as corporate jet setters.

Will the last driver at Pomona please turn out the lights?

Last edited:
I remember when Jim had Bob Ingels and at the 2001 E-Town Race I got a hero card signed by Jim and Jamie, and Ingels as well, I think maybe even Toni signed it, Because my pops knew Ingels

Yates ran top alcohol at one time?

Rich, if your question was directed to me the answer is no. If my memory serves me correctly, Pro Stck was going to follow our session. He walked up to take a look at the right lane while I was taking a look at it, too. We were the next pair to fire as we waited for Safety Safari to clean up a mess at the finish line. That's when he offered up an opinion and advice that applies to Pro Stock as well as TA/FC.

Last edited:
Before the Winternationals, I had read that Wiley X would be onboard for only 4 races before the sponsorship would be gone. I had hoped that Jim would be able to come up with something before then, but it looks like it's not going to happen. If this is truly Jim's final race, I would like to say thanks for the memories, for being one of the classiest drivers out there, and give him congratulations for winning 2 Pro Stock Championships. Farewell Jim, it's been a great run!

NHRAMike

We were guests of Co-Crew Chief Jerry Bickel at the '97 Topeka race. We nearly lived in Jim's pit all weekend and had a blast. Jim wound up winning that race. I was in the official winner's circle pic, standing with him and Jerry...and the car with a big #1 on the window. I also have his autographed winner's circle Winston hat.

I loved watching that Pontiac mow down the field.

My first memories of Jim were from his early days driving a Ford Pro Stocker and seeing him at Jerry Bickels shop in Troy, MO.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back