Jim Yates & his sponsorship predicament.... (1 Viewer)

DragFan2

Nitro Member
Hey Maters, the story on NHRA.COM about Jim Yates having to park it after 6 races this year if he doesn't find a new primary sponsor really bums me out. He and his family, and in this case it is REALLY a family deal, are role models for NHRA and if anyone should be helped to get a new Primary sponsor, it is Yates Family Racing. I mean come on, Jim cut his expenses to the bone in order to stay on tour last year. He drove his own transporter, and had his son Jamie and wife Toni as well as his daughters and their boyfriends helping out as crew members, all for his love of the sport! The story on NHRA.COM today stated he spent half a million $$$ out of his own pocket to stay out there, and can't do that again.

NHRA, are you listening??? Losing people like Jim Yates due to sponsorship issues is unacceptable. Why aren't there marketing teams within NHRA working to promote this sport better and find sponsors for hard working individuals like Jim Yates, and Mark Pawuk too? It ain't all about John and Ashley Force and he can't save drag racing if there aren't enough competitors that can afford to race. I know the media machine is cranking up this year, but it better not be just to promote Ashley Force. The Force love-fest this past weekend was almost obscene, to the detriment of all the other teams out there busting their butts and not getting decent air time.

Rant over....

Watcha'll think?

Jim Yates is one of my favorite drivers. He's a class act, a phenomenal man that drag racing NEEDS.

I hope he finds sponsorship.

By the way, Kurt, great post.

Great post Kurt!

My wife and I were guests of the Yates' at the fall Topeka race in '97. My friend Jerry Bickel was the co-crew chief on the McDonalds Pontiac then, and was a gracious host as well. We hung out in their pits all weekend, went to dinner with them, and had our pictures taken with them in the Winners Circle! I still have the autographed picture on my wall, and the autographed event winners hat. It was a weekend we'll never forget.

I wish Jim & Toni well. They really are a class act.

Agreed. Great post Kurt.

He is a championship level driver and has trained his son to be an excellent crew chief. He truly loves racing and doing it with his family. When he sold his business I think he made plenty of money. However, he can't keep spending it all on racing. He will need the money for his family's future.

I hate it and it sucks!

I really hope he finds something fast!!!

Jim is also one of my favorites.. goes back to the NHRA being here in Rockingham with the Winston Invitational.... Any man who wil sit and talk to you for an hour for no aparent reason .. when he is basicly at work is alright by me....

This realy sucks... i know they gave him issues over the Wiley X deal last year... but i think its time for the NHRA to rethink allowing sponsors that compete with NHRA title and official sponsors... raceing is exspensive and its hard to come up with companies that are willing to pay the bills... limiting who they can use or aproach limits the car counts eventualy....

Billy

You guys all make some great points. From a genuine "good guy" standpoint, it doesn't appear to get much better than the family effort of the Yates'.

I totally agree with the point about NHRA's need to review their policy (whether it's real or perceived) about allowing competing companies to come in and advertise with our heros. No matter what level anyone sponsors a team, they'll never be able to override the series title rights sponsorship of PowerAde. Like was said, it's very apparent that these types of deals just don't grow on trees, so whoever is willing to step up financially to bring a new team to the sport or maintain an exisiting one, should be welcomed with open arms.

I will, however, respectfully disagree with part of your post, Kurt. Even though I agree with most everyone else about the whole Ashley Force deal being overdone, I still think NHRA has done a pretty good job keeping the sport heading where it needs to go as a whole. The shows are good, the teams are good and the viewership numbers appear to be moving in the right direction. Plus, as much as I feel for teams like the Yates', I don't think it should be the sanctioning body's job to promote/sell sponsorship deals for individual teams. Even though it's just a sportsman effort, I've done my own deals since day-one and wouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me, and I think that's the structure that needs to be in place.

Good points, though. Just my opinion.

Sean D

great guy and team. I hope something big comes their way and fast.

I too think Jim is a great guy and I hope he finds some sponsorship to stay out there.

Kurt,

I agree that Jim and Toni are great people and hope to see them out there for a long time. But don't blame NHRA, Jim was put in this position by an unfortunate set of circumstances. If you recall, he put together a deal with Duce Stealy (sp?) to do a two car deal and (I believe) that they had some sponsorship in place. Then Duce got cut and bailed on Jim at the last minute. It’s a classic case of thinking that you had everything in place, and then finding out at the last minute that you don’t, and now the time that you would have spent looking for backing is gone.

Alan

I will, however, respectfully disagree with part of your post, Kurt. Even though I agree with most everyone else about the whole Ashley Force deal being overdone, I still think NHRA has done a pretty good job keeping the sport heading where it needs to go as a whole. The shows are good, the teams are good and the viewership numbers appear to be moving in the right direction. Plus, as much as I feel for teams like the Yates', I don't think it should be the sanctioning body's job to promote/sell sponsorship deals for individual teams. Even though it's just a sportsman effort, I've done my own deals since day-one and wouldn't expect anyone else to do it for me, and I think that's the structure that needs to be in place.

Good points, though. Just my opinion.

Sean D

Sean,

Jim is still out there beating the bushes I guarantee you. He knows it's up to him to find that sponsor, whoever it is. The Duce Staley "vapor" deal that Yates publicized late last year seemed too good to be true, and I've seen a number of sports figures say they wanted to be involved in Drag Racing and then back out. Drag Racing is a fast way to burn through alot of money, no matter what class, but especially in the Pro's. Jim Yates can't or won't blow through another half million again just for fun, so he is making a business decision to get out if the sponsorship is not there. Even if he was winning races, the winning payouts from NHRA are pretty laughable in comparison to other Professional auto racing leagues (not including IHRA which is not far behind NHRA). You can't make a go of it with race winnings, but it sure can help with some expenses, but the payouts need to increase more. IMHO.

Sean, I agree we are starting to see NHRA get some more ink than in the past, but I think it is primarily due to the women, Melanie Troxel last year and this year it will be Ashley Force. If that attracts some more sponsorship, great, but from what I can see, Melanie needs Evan Knoll to stay out there, so as competent, intelligent, attractive, and marketable as she is, where are the major sponsors lining up to keep her in a Nitro car? Erica Enders looks to be in trouble already as the rumour I saw that David Nickens will only be helping them for a few more races might sideline them if they can't get competetive in their Dodge. What might that be about other than lack of funds? No primary sponsor possibly? That whole deal with Revive Energy drinks really was a whitewash, no matter what Greg Enders stated. If what he said was true, then why is it okay for Monster Energy drinks to sponsor Kenny Bernstein, and now Rockstar Energy drinks for Jerry Toliver. Do these two guys have bad ethics? The story on Rockstar (and I'm sure Monster) was that NHRA would not allow any cans of the energy drink to be on the grounds in Pomona, and certainly no sales of it at any races. And tell me how many tracks actually sell PowerAde products?

Ok, rant over once again. I'll address my beefs to NHRA now since they are the only people that need to hear what true fans REALLY think.

In recent years the good folks at Bandimere Speedway have worked with us so that we could bring in our sponsors and host a day at the races for them. Bandimere Speedway did this in a way that did not cause any difficulties for the other competitors who were there that day. In fact, some of our friends have taken the idea and run with it.
Of course, the Bandimere family has supported its racing community in many ways throughout the years. The Bandimeres are racers. They also know how to deal with sponsors - the longest running event sponsorship is the MoPar sponsorship of the Mile High Nationals.
We have talented marketing people in all aspects of this sport. I'd like to see the NHRA take advantage of the marketing expertise of participants and fans alike.
I'd like to see them encourage sponsorship appreciation activities at local tracks.
I'd like them to encourage companies to leverage their involvement by adding lower cost Sportsman teams to reinforce their marketing presence.
I'd like to see them encourage ESPN to showcase teams who are making the effort, but have not yet risen to the ranks of super stars. TV coverage of NASCAR events often shows backmarkers and also-rans. In fact, one of the best media buys available is the wrecked stock car with the marketer's name emblazoned on the hood! Some heap from the back of the pack can get plenty of televised exposure for a sponsor just by being wrecked in the right place at the right time. Since we have a "qualify or go home" policy, some effort to support the struggling teams on-air makes long term sense.
I'd like to see them . . . .
Cheers,
Ed

The deeper you dig in to NHRA's deals, the more double-standards you'll find. It's the definition of the 'good ole boys club', and these deals certainly prove that. Monster and Rock Star are OK, but Revive isn't? Come on.....

i really would hate to see yates on the side lines, in fact i was looking towards the day when Jim and jamie would both be racing together similar to what they did a few years ago. i was rather curious when yates mention late last season he had a deal with Duce staley, since i thought staley was towards the end of his NFL career and how was he gonna bankroll a two car pro stock team with no NFL salary ???

jf

Staley HAS an NFL salary!!! Yes, he was cut by the Steelers, but picked up by the Saints. Since the Saints won their division, they played in the playoffs and made it to within one game of the Super Bowl...which means Staley also earned a HEFTY playoff check from the NFL, as well as additional pay from the Saints.

He's not hurting for income (he made nearly $400,000 this year)...he's just hurting the Yates effort...

You know, I went to one of the Sport Compact races a few years ago, and the one thing that stood out is how well they promote their series by promoting THEIR RACERS. They make those guys & gals into little "super stars" and help them secure sponsors. In the end, it benefits the whole series. I couldn't believe some of the levels of corporate backing that those racers had, in classes that I as an outsider regarded no more than a sportsman level class.

John.. i was wondering a bit about Revive myself....lol....

Steve.. the deal with Menard is... a Menards Company thing... if you watch Paul run this year the hood decal changes every race... kind of a you give us a better price on your product and we will advertise it on our Cup car... Menards (Daddy) is paying the bills anyway.. so why not help the stores costs....

Billy

I think Blood, Sweat & Tears said it best:

"...And the strong get stronger...
...And the weak shall fade...
...Empty sponsor pockets, don't make the P/S grade...
...Oooh, Summit may have, and Schumacher may have...
...But God Bless Jim Yates, he's on his own....
...He's on his own....":(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back