Jim Yates & his sponsorship predicament.... (1 Viewer)

great post kurt, jim is a class act and 1 hell of a nice guy. loosing him would be a huge lost for not only pro stock but the nhra in general. lets all just hope they find some sponsorship real soon!

John.. i was wondering a bit about Revive myself....lol....

Steve.. the deal with Menard is... a Menards Company thing... if you watch Paul run this year the hood decal changes every race... kind of a you give us a better price on your product and we will advertise it on our Cup car... Menards (Daddy) is paying the bills anyway.. so why not help the stores costs....

Billy
Getting the privilege to sell your automotive product in Menard's stores and better shelf location has something to do with it too.

From looking at the Brut promotions, it appears to have something to do with shelf location in certain drug stores.

Last edited:

NHRA, are you listening??? Losing people like Jim Yates due to sponsorship issues is unacceptable. Why aren't there marketing teams within NHRA working to promote this sport better and find sponsors for hard working individuals like Jim Yates, and Mark Pawuk too?
We as con$umer$ share some part in this also. We really need to step up to the plate and put our money where our mouths are. Sponsors want to see a return(on their investment).
I must admit, I don't know what wiley-x is. I'd have to do the homework and then actually go purchase whatever it may be. If there was a wiley-x commercial on the motel6-vision, as a con$umer, I might have more awareness. I know what a sea-ray is, but I don't have a need for a boat right now.
We'd have more teams if we paid the sponsors back.

I think NHRA can only do so much. They already offer to assist and make sponsor presentations and provide materials. In the end, it's really up to the racer to OVER DELIVER. Even if you do that there are no guareentees. No matter what this isn't cheap and finding enough money is not easy for anyone. You can partly blaim the 2000 lb gorilla called NASCAR.

I've got a Jim Yates story.

Few years ago, 93, 94 or so..Thunder Valley had a Wednesday night Pro Stock show. Well, such is Oklahoma, at 7:30 on my way to work, it's in the 70's, so i'm in a t-shirt. That night we go to the track and a front has come through and it's in the 50's and blowing like crazy. My old boss had business with Yates, as we built his starters at the time. I'm standing there in the doorway as Greg talks to Yates, and Yates says "Where's your coat?". Of course I tell him it wasn't cold this morning, and I'm fine. He proceeds to take his jacket off, let me use it for the evening, and said to just bring it to him at Ennis the next week. I thought that was pretty cool, and have always rooted for him. I like the fact that he seems happy when he gets out of the car for an interview.

Of course, Mike Edwards is still my favorite.

Scott
S/C, S/Pro A405

Jim Yates is top notch.
I can't help but always pull for the guy. It would be horrible if he was sidelined.

It is unfortunate that his deal fell through, but hopefully something will turn up for him.

Nice original post - you have some spot on sentiments.

DLB

I think Blood, Sweat & Tears said it best:

"...And the strong get stronger...
...And the weak shall fade...
...Empty sponsor pockets, don't make the P/S grade...
...Oooh, Summit may have, and Schumacher may have...
...But God Bless Jim Yates, he's on his own....
...He's on his own....":(

Doug, you have to be an old geezer like me to bring up a BS&T tune like that.

And how true that last verse is, he is on his own. Well, with a big help from Grumpy, which of course he pays good money for, and help financially from Sea Ray Boats and Wiley-X Eyewear. I think those sponsorships are more like friendships than primary sponsorships, but what do I know. What really was a bummer was that chase for the championship a few years back where Jim had the heart problem and missed 1 or 2 races when he was either leading the points or was in 2nd at the time. My memory is a little foggy now, and Jim may have only missed one race, but it cost him some points and he wasn't quite the same after that. I gained alot of respect for him after that, and when I read his blogs, I gain even more respect as he shows how important his family is to him.

And how true that last verse is, he is on his own.... What really was a bummer was that chase for the championship a few years back where Jim had the heart problem and missed 1 or 2 races when he was either leading the points or was in 2nd at the time....I gained alot of respect for him after that, and when I read his blogs, I gain even more respect as he shows how important his family is to him.

Glad you dig the BS&T reference, Kurt...:cool:
I too have a ton of respect for Jim Yates & hope this is solved in his favor ASAP...

I agree that losing Yates would be a loss to not only Pro Stock, but to NHRA as a whole. He really is one of the nice guys. IF everyone on this forum sent Yates a check for $10 it might not be much, but it would be more than he had, and if it enabled him to make another race or two it would all be worth it. Of course it would probably also give his banker fits.

And how true that last verse is, he is on his own. Well, with a big help from Grumpy, which of course he pays good money for, and help financially from Sea Ray Boats and Wiley-X Eyewear. I think those sponsorships are more like friendships than primary sponsorships, but what do I know. What really was a bummer was that chase for the championship a few years back where Jim had the heart problem and missed 1 or 2 races when he was either leading the points or was in 2nd at the time. My memory is a little foggy now, and Jim may have only missed one race, but it cost him some points and he wasn't quite the same after that. I gained alot of respect for him after that, and when I read his blogs, I gain even more respect as he shows how important his family is to him.

Kurt
I appreciate your kind post, but the truth is I did not miss a single race with my heart "issue" (you notice I don't call it a heart attack). At least it makes me feel better that way. I had the "issue" Saturday afternoon while racing Warren on a qualifying round. We were and remained #1 qualifier at the race (Memphis ), however instead of racing the # 16 qualifier 1st round ,I was in the hospital in Memphis awaiting a stent to be installed.Well, Warren lost first round and I actually picked up a few points on him because I out qualified him. As it turned out they installed the stent on Monday, gave me a level 4 stress test on Wednesday. Toni and I set out for Chicago on Thursday. I set the national record Saturday morning ,only to have Kurt take it away two pairs later. That 20 points would have really helped as 4 races later at Pomona ,Warren ended up beating us for the championship by about 3 rounds. I think that was one of the closest Pro Stock point championship chases in the modern era. Oh what might have been! But you know I am happy for the things we did accomplish and not angry about the ones that slipped away. Again ,thanks for the kind words ,I try not to get on here and embarrass myself with my spelling and typing ,however I definitely do read the posts.
Jim

Last edited:
How awesome is that attitude of yours Jim!
Hang in there buddy, this game of racing motivates us to pull more than rabbits out of our hat at times and I see you as a master magician! We're pulling for your landing the big one!

Kurt
I appreciate your kind post, but the truth is I did not miss a single race with my heart "issue" (you notice I don't call it a heart attack). At least it makes me feel better that way. I had the "issue" Saturday afternoon while racing Warren on a qualifying round. We were and remained #1 qualifier at the race (Memphis ), however instead of racing the # 16 qualifier 1st round ,I was in the hospital in Memphis awaiting a stent to be installed.Well, Warren lost first round and I actually picked up a few points on him because I out qualified him. As it turned out they installed the stent on Monday, gave me a level 4 stress test on Wednesday. Toni and I set out for Chicago on Thursday. I set the national record Saturday morning ,only to have Kurt take it away two pairs later. That 20 points would have really helped as 4 races later at Pomona ,Warren ended up beating us for the championship by about 3 rounds. I think that was one of the closest Pro Stock point championship chases in the modern era. Oh what might have been! But you know I am happy for the things we did accomplish and not angry about the ones that slipped away. Again ,thanks for the kind words ,I try not to get on here and embarrass myself with my spelling and typing ,however I defiantly do read the posts.
Jim

Jim, you're awesome. I've been reminded of your old days with McDonalds and Splitfire by watching the reruns of NHRA events on ESPN Classic.

You're awesome man.

Thanks for posting..and welcome to the Mater, Jim.

I've kept up with your Blog..which is awesome. You have a great family.

Good luck the rest of the year..and with obtaining a good sponsor.

Kurt
I appreciate your kind post, but the truth is I did not miss a single race with my heart "issue" (you notice I don't call it a heart attack). At least it makes me feel better that way. I had the "issue" Saturday afternoon while racing Warren on a qualifying round. We were and remained #1 qualifier at the race (Memphis ), however instead of racing the # 16 qualifier 1st round ,I was in the hospital in Memphis awaiting a stent to be installed.Well, Warren lost first round and I actually picked up a few points on him because I out qualified him. As it turned out they installed the stent on Monday, gave me a level 4 stress test on Wednesday. Toni and I set out for Chicago on Thursday. I set the national record Saturday morning ,only to have Kurt take it away two pairs later. That 20 points would have really helped as 4 races later at Pomona ,Warren ended up beating us for the championship by about 3 rounds. I think that was one of the closest Pro Stock point championship chases in the modern era. Oh what might have been! But you know I am happy for the things we did accomplish and not angry about the ones that slipped away. Again ,thanks for the kind words ,I try not to get on here and embarrass myself with my spelling and typing ,however I definitely do read the posts.
Jim

Jim,

Wow, thanks for posting and straightening me out on that race weekend! I kinda remembered you having the problem on a Saturday and not being able to race on Sunday, but forgot that you were #1 Qualifier. I guess you picked up some points that weekend after all, and especially with Warren going out 1st round as you said. I somehow thought you missed the next race too, but I obviously was wrong. :eek: Thanks for putting me and the rest straight and also for reminding us how close that Pro Stock race for the championshp was that year. Must have been the last year before GA went on his rampage.

We are pulling for you and Toni & Jamie to find that sponsor! Keep after it and glad I will be able to see you in Gainesville next month.

PS: And to all the 'Maters who said racers won't post on here, thanks for putting that one to rest. Thanks Jim, and great 1st post. You are welcome here any time. :cool:

Again ,thanks for the kind words ,I try not to get on here and embarrass myself with my spelling and typing ,however I definitely do read the posts.
Jim

Well, Jim lurking is OK too. I hope you see that you have a lot of fans here that really want to see you out there doing what you do best. Good luck and it was cool to see you post here.:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back