Why do you care how much the teams spend?? (1 Viewer)

737pilot

Nitro Member
With the change to 1000', fans all of a sudden are worried how much its costing the teams to race? I have to ask, since when do fans care how much it costs John Force to race?? When you watch a movie, are you concerned how much Jerry Bruckheimer spent on it? When you watch a football game, do you spend the entire game concerned about how much the team owner spends? Those of you who watch golf, do you get concerned for Nike since they pay Tiger Woods a ton of money??

I cannot understand this whole logic of all the fans suddenly concerned that it costs X amount of dollars to run these cars. It costs what it costs. And let me tell you something...if JFR isn't willing to spend the extra amounts of cash to go a 1/10th faster, DSR will. And if DSR won't, Snake racing will and so on and so on. The market determines what it costs. Not 1000' or 1320' or concerned fans.

So, I have to ask, why do you really care what it costs? Me, I don't.

Blast away. :D

Whaaa???
erst110.gif

I care because I'd prefer to watch 22 cars trying to qualify for 16 spots rather than 6 trying to qualify for 8 positions. If its not affordable NO ONE WILL DO IT or at least no many. If you want to go to a vacant drag strip and watch bird have at it. Me I'd prefer to see fuel racing. And oh by the way the cost filters all the way down to the slowest class.

Exactly what John said. Plus who wants to go to the track and see one team win all of the races. Force has done it in the past, Ken Black has done it in the past, Tony Shoe is doing it right now. Money being no object. I know that a big part of the success of these people is that they've all had the best crew chiefs in their classes, but they also out spend everyone else to keep these people.

Hi all, To anyone not concerned about how much it cost to run a fuel car , that's easy to say if your not the one spending it. I spent $100,000 on pistons, rods, blowers etc. to go to one race last year. I was not a fan of 1000' at first, but I would rather see that than have to spend more money to change the engine combination again. Also as a driver I would rather drive a hot rod to 1000' than a governed sled to 1320'. Just my opinion. Rit

Actually people on here have been concerned about the cost for quite some time now.

Over the past couple of years we have seen more sponsors leaving than usual, sponsors that do come seem to bring less money both on the car level as well as national title rights. Seeing short fields in Top fuel at a few races and many more where it was only a 16 car field give insight to the bigger problem.

If money can't be brought in, and in todays economy that is no easy task, then steps need to be taken to help lessen to cost of racing. As it is this year 1 race was added to the schedule long after most sponsor budgets were agreed upon. It appears to be an added benefit of 1000' racing that it does help team save money as they do not go through parts as bad as they did before.

Its not a new conversation here, the rest of the pack is just catching up. Who knew the mater was so far ahead of our time:D

I care because I'd prefer to watch 22 cars trying to qualify for 16 spots rather than 6 trying to qualify for 8 positions. If its not affordable NO ONE WILL DO IT or at least no many. If you want to go to a vacant drag strip and watch bird have at it. Me I'd prefer to see fuel racing. And oh by the way the cost filters all the way down to the slowest class.

Only allow multi car teams to 2 cars. That would solve the amount of cars qualifying. However, it would still cost what it costs.

And no one has answered any of my other questions in my first post.

Hi all, To anyone not concerned about how much it cost to run a fuel car , that's easy to say if your not the one spending it. I spent $100,000 on pistons, rods, blowers etc. to go to one race last year. I was not a fan of 1000' at first, but I would rather see that than have to spend more money to change the engine combination again. Also as a driver I would rather drive a hot rod to 1000' than a governed sled to 1320'. Just my opinion. Rit

Well, there are people on here who would gladly tell you how to spend your money rather than save or stretch it.

They care more about the show they see than what it takes to get that show. I bet half of them don't realize how much it costs to procure a sponsor with legal fees, finders fees etc. How much stuff has to be constantly modified or upgraded, recertified, etc for new combinations.

With the change to 1000', fans all of a sudden are worried how much its costing the teams to race? I have to ask, since when do fans care how much it costs John Force to race?? When you watch a movie, are you concerned how much Jerry Bruckheimer spent on it? When you watch a football game, do you spend the entire game concerned about how much the team owner spends? Those of you who watch golf, do you get concerned for Nike since they pay Tiger Woods a ton of money??

I cannot understand this whole logic of all the fans suddenly concerned that it costs X amount of dollars to run these cars. It costs what it costs. And let me tell you something...if JFR isn't willing to spend the extra amounts of cash to go a 1/10th faster, DSR will. And if DSR won't, Snake racing will and so on and so on. The market determines what it costs. Not 1000' or 1320' or concerned fans.

My only suggestion would be switching to Decaf.

You may have not noticed but Internet message boards bring out whining about anything and everything. Find something everybody agrees on and whiners come out of the woodwork to disagree. There are some who post for the singular reason to disagree. Everything I post is followed by a few on here in an effort just to dispute what I have said. It's an Internet way of life.

Yes, there are folks screaming in New York about the Yankees not winning every year based solely upon the team's salary and so on and on.
Michael, there will be whining on any topic you post and this one is no different.

Rit's post should give you a clear view into the cost of racing. Most wouldn't spend $100K out of pocket to run just one race?

????????????? Your logic escapes me

Ok, let's try it this way. You want to see 22 cars try for a 16 car field. In essence, you want to see 8 cars spend money on a weekend and not make the field so that you can see MORE cars at the race for a weekend. Yet you say you are concerned for the cost to these teams. :confused: That logic escapes me.

Also, you say you don't want to see one team control most of the race i.e. JFR or DSR. These guys toghether control 50% of the FC ladder on any given weekend. So I say, only allow these guys to run 2 cars per team, thus freeing up 25% more of the ladder for other teams.

However, it cost X amount of dollars to run a car for the weekend. So regardless of how many teams are trying for a 16 car field, it still costs the same PER car to run for a weekend. Sure DSR and JFR spent less because they only ran 2 cars, however, the teams that filled these voids spent the money necessary to run a FC.

What real Drag Racing Fan enjoys seeing a car engine or body on fire or blown up? The lower the cost the more independent racers are out there. If the costs were much lower we would see Del and Chuck Worsham out there in 09'. Money drives this sport no matter the class.

I completely agree with you Michael. If everyone wanted to keep costs down, they should have started that mentality in the 80's and 90's. Trying to reduce the cst it takes now, it will never happen. This is just like gas prices nowadays. Once the price goes up, dont expect it to fall back where it once was. Every one of the teams currently racing knew before getting involved what it cost to race these machines. It comes down to the simple philosophy that if you dont want to spend the millions it takes, dont. Its the teams choice. Like Michael said, if JFR dont do it DSR will.

My only suggestion would be switching to Decaf.

You may have not noticed but Internet message boards bring out whining about anything and everything. Find something everybody agrees on and whiners come out of the woodwork to disagree. There are some who post for the singular reason to disagree. Everything I post is followed by a few on here in an effort just to dispute what I have said. It's an Internet way of life.

Yes, there are folks screaming in New York about the Yankees not winning every year based solely upon the team's salary and so on and on.
Michael, there will be whining on any topic you post and this one is no different.

Rit's post should give you a clear view into the cost of racing. Most wouldn't spend $100K out of pocket to run just one race?

I don't drink coffee. I am just curious why drag racing fans are so concerned about the cost. Is that OK? Am I able to ask such a question without suggesting that I am a whiner? Most on this site band together rather tightly on most subjects. Especially when they collectively disagree with one person, that person being me with this thread. Does that make either side wrong? No, it's just a debate. I like a good debate. However, in this case it is seen as whining.....why?

Obviously you have talked to ALL of the fans, at every race, to come up with this conclusion. And you have talked to Force, Shoe and Snake and they personally told you that they don't care how much is costs to race. If you haven't, then you need to crawl back under the rock you came from and be quiet.

The fact that you don't care how much it costs indicates that you are not a real fan!!!!!

Last edited:
Obviously you have talked to ALL of the fans, at every race, to come up with this conclusion. And you have talked to Force, Shoe and Snake and they personally told you that they don't care how much is costs to race. If you haven't, then you need to crawl back under the rock you came from and be quiet.

The fact that you don't care how much it costs indicates that you are not a real fan!!!!!

Feel better? Did you do some pushups right before you posted to pump yourself up a little?

Okay, this is a joke, right? You started this thread just to piss people off, didn't you?

As an answer to your question, no I didn't do any push-ups, I popped the top on a cold one!!!! Anything else you want to say to try and get under my skin, because it aint working.

I care for a couple reasons.

1. The astronomical cost of running a race car these days, fuel or otherwise, is limiting the number of people who are willing or able to compete on a regular basis. Like I said, it's not just the fuel cars - ask a comp guy what he's spending on an annual basis. So, if it limits the number of people who are willing or able to compete, it ultimately hurts the show I'm paying my hard earned money to see. The example of seeing 22 Funny Cars competing for 16 starting positions is a good one - regardless of how many cars per team. The more cars, the more competition, the better product for the fans.

2. If the cost of racing continues to sky rocket, so will the cost of the tickets I purchase to see an event. That has a direct impact on me, the fan - so yes, I care.

This is why I care. You may disagree, and you're entitled to do that but I believe I answered your questions directly.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back