Why do you care how much the teams spend?? (1 Viewer)

I care for a couple reasons.

1. The astronomical cost of running a race car these days, fuel or otherwise, is limiting the number of people who are willing or able to compete on a regular basis. Like I said, it's not just the fuel cars - ask a comp guy what he's spending on an annual basis. So, if it limits the number of people who are willing or able to compete, it ultimately hurts the show I'm paying my hard earned money to see. The example of seeing 22 Funny Cars competing for 16 starting positions is a good one - regardless of how many cars per team. The more cars, the more competition, the better product for the fans.

2. If the cost of racing continues to sky rocket, so will the cost of the tickets I purchase to see an event. That has a direct impact on me, the fan - so yes, I care.

This is why I care. You may disagree, and you're entitled to do that but I believe I answered your questions directly.

What he said. And as a fan of this sport and a person who actively participates in it, I dont see how you cant be concerned about the cost.

2. If the cost of racing continues to sky rocket, so will the cost of the tickets I purchase to see an event. That has a direct impact on me, the fan - so yes, I care.

Gordon hit the nail on the head for me. I care because it directly affects the amount of money I will have spend to enjoy this great sport.

I disagree with earlier posters that reducing the number of cars per team to 2 will create more cars trying to qualify. If there were cars to fill the void, they would already be trying to fill the void, especially in top fuel where short fields have happened a few times this year.

If NHRA mandated 2 cars per team, JFR would reduce to John and Ashley. What would happen to Neff and Hight? They would get parked that's what. What cars would magically appear to fill the void those 2 cars would leave? Same with DSR. What 2 cars would appear to fill the void left by the other 2 DSR cars that got parked?

PS I do care what some movies cost to make ... Pearl Harbor was a 200 million dollar poop sandwich. I could have done better.

Last edited:
Thanks Gordon for an answer without disgust. I am not trying to start a pissing contest with everone as Gary would suggest. I am just curious why others care so much about the cost. Me I don't. I'll gladly pay more for an entry ticket to watch them race. So let's get back to a debate rather than ruffled feathers because we disagree.

When you watch a movie, are you concerned how much Jerry Bruckheimer spent on it?

Movies bring in millions, and that money is then kicked back to the studio, the actors, etc. Drag Racing doesn't bring in millions back to the team owners. They spend, they don't nearly recoup.

When you watch a football game, do you spend the entire game concerned about how much the team owner spends?

ALSO make money as a direct result of the game. The NHRA isn't giving heaploads of money back to teams to pay their bills. THAT is the difference.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the only source of income for NHRA teams their winnings, sponsor $$, and merchandise sales (which NHRA regulates)?

With rising costs, and no kickback, yes its very troublesome that teams are dropping off due to expenses. And because I love my drag racing, as a fan, I AM concerned.

When you watch a movie, are you concerned how much Jerry Bruckheimer spent on it? When you watch a football game, do you spend the entire game concerned about how much the team owner spends? Those of you who watch golf, do you get concerned for Nike since they pay Tiger Woods a ton of money??

I cannot understand this whole logic of all the fans suddenly concerned that it costs X amount of dollars to run these cars. It costs what it costs. And let me tell you something...if JFR isn't willing to spend the extra amounts of cash to go a 1/10th faster, DSR will. And if DSR won't, Snake racing will and so on and so on. The market determines what it costs. Not 1000' or 1320' or concerned fans.

So, I have to ask, why do you really care what it costs?

Blast away. :D

To answer paragraph 1... If Jerry doesn't make money on several movies or TV projects in a row, he won't find backing for his next project. Most of the stuff that hits the Theater is k-rap anyway... we buy DVD's of movies we want to see... I haven't PAID to see a movie at the theater in five years, and I go at least twice a month.

As far as pro sports... NFL, MLB, NBA, PGA... don't watch them, don't care...

As far as the Cost of Drag Racing, this has been a topic of discussion for the 40 odd years I've been around the sport... personally, if there were a couple of N/FC shows within a couple of hours drive, I'd go see them instead of one national event a year... and the spring divisional at VMP is more enjoyable in a lot of ways than the race this weekend... and I'm just as concerned at the cost of running an alky flopper as I am a 'Big Show' nitro car.

d'kid

Cost of a movie for two with popcorn and Drinks...35.00

Cost of Tiger Woods TW sp8 shoes...240.00 (comparable Nike Air Zoom Elite 159.00)

Decent seats at Dodger Stadium 80.00 bucks + 10.00 Hot Dogs and 6.00 Coke.

Remember Unlimited Hydros...

Formula 1 is in significant cost cutting mode...(this is a clue)

Cost translates to the consumer. Bruckheimer doesn't pay, The Yankees don't pay, Nike doesn't pay, they spend OUR money. We pay, to enjoy these things. How much we can afford is a conspicuous dilemma.

Einstein had a theory...Relativity.

Ah, thanks Doug!

Yeah, Kevin. I use that website from time to time. It's not always THAT reliable though by the time you get there.

In the Chgo Trib this morning was a quote from Bernie E of Formula1 saying they MUST pare the cost significantly in the next two years to SURVIVE.
If they are concerned about surviving, what do you think "common" people like NHRA teams are feeling.
Lee
Nitroclovers

Gas here is under $2.90! BUT.......I'm not going to jump on the cheap gas bandwagon till it gets under $2.00 a gallon like it was Thanksgiving '06

I don't drink coffee. I am just curious why drag racing fans are so concerned about the cost. Is that OK? Am I able to ask such a question without suggesting that I am a whiner? Most on this site band together rather tightly on most subjects. Especially when they collectively disagree with one person, that person being me with this thread. Does that make either side wrong? No, it's just a debate. I like a good debate. However, in this case it is seen as whining.....why?

My response was not to offend or belittle in any way. (I don't drink coffee either.) I didn't reference you as a whiner. I was suggesting that on Internet sites such as this whiners can and do show up on every thread to provide their opposing opinions.

As has been stated, the cost of racing directly effects us all - participants and fans alike. Without sponsorships, this sport would not even come close to existing. There is no way our entry fees could support this addiction but with a smart business plan bringing in the Castrol, Ford, Brand Source, AAA, Nordic Boats, Old Spice, Mac Tools, Sanyo, Jet Hot, etc. etc. etc. someone with a love for our sport can become a very rich man!

Our family based team has two funny cars and two dragsters that aren't cheap yet we haven't accepted our first penny of sponsorship assistance nor do we plan to. Everybody has to do things their own way, in my opinion. I never plan to tour with the NHRA so it works for us on our puny scale. It is nonetheless a very expensive sport in many ways. I know this to be fact!!!

gas is $2.92 a gallon here in Houston .. just sayin' ;)
This statement is a perfect victory for the oil companies-not aimed to point a finger at you, Doug. That's all they wanted to hear the consumers say. It works every go-around when they raise prices through the roof and then bring them 1/2 way back to the point we are saying "hey, did you see gas is down to only $3.00 a gallon today!" I'll bet their sides split from all the laughter!

In the Chgo Trib this morning was a quote from Bernie E of Formula1 saying they MUST pare the cost significantly in the next two years to SURVIVE.
If they are concerned about surviving, what do you think "common" people like NHRA teams are feeling.
Lee
Nitroclovers

I have been watching F1 since I was 8 years old (1982). EVERY year there is a refrain from either the team owners or the people running the sport to make the sport cheaper. It has not happened yet, nor do I expect it to. You think engine development and aerodynamic development are expensive ... wait until the KERS hybrid system comes online next year. Ferrari has already said they expect SOFTWARE development for the KERS to equal or surpass engine development costs within 5 years. That doesn't cover the development costs of the actual KERS system itself.

F1 costs directly affect me as a fan, as no promoter in the United States can put on the race and turn a profit, so we won't do it. That is why there is no US Grand Prix. If you look at the GP calendar, almost all GPs are publically financed (France, Belgium, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia) as tourism generators or privately financed as a personal party for the uber-rich (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi). Last I heard, going rate to sanction an F1 race is $15 million dollars US.

Compared to every other "major" motor sport, drag racing is cheap. They should be concerned and they should do everything they can do to keep it that way. It will benefit the teams, and ultimately, us as fans.

Unfortunately, cost of operation has become the number one determining factor regualting our racing efforts as of late. It dictates not only how often and where we race but how hard as well. There was a time not that long ago that I could tow my 7-second dragster to a Saturday night bracket race, enter two classes, burn a bunch of methanol, eat some track food, fill up the coolers with GATORADE and beer, have fun racing, and feed the crew on the way home without spending an extreme amount of cash. And, that was before we had a viable track 10-minutes from home...we were towing 70+ miles one way to Texas Motorplex, Redline Raceway, and Texas Raceway. Occasionally we'd also go to a multiple-day event like an IHRA or NHRA divisional or one of the bracket finals events. Without a motorhome or living quarter trailer we'd get a motel room.

Based on our 2003 expenses, to duplicate that kind of racing activity today, we'd be spending approximately 38% more in just fixed costs like fuel, methanol, food, lodging, and consumables for the dragster. Have I mentioned that in mot cases entry and crew fees have increased while purses have remained the same...or dropped in some series??? 38% increased costs caused us to rethink what we were doing and we're just a sportsman operation.

So instead of continuing to attempt to survive at that level of cost vs. return, we sold the dragster that was capable of racing every weekend in favor for an altered that we can run 10 or so times a year. Why? More fun to drive, quicker/faster, heads-up options (where none exist for a traditional Top Dragster), merchandise sales opportunities, and so on.

So what if a professional team is facing the same increase in fix operations? They might not run all the events. They will start to sit out qualifying sessions. They might only run the car hard enough to qualify then hope to get a round or two on Sunday. Who suffers in that climate? The fan. The sponsor. The track operator. And to some extent, the racer due to the missed opportunities. So while the cost factor doesn't show up on a time slip, scoreboard, or ladder, it drastically effects the quality-and quantity-of what the ticket buyers see, feel, hear, taste, and smell.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back