Why do you care how much the teams spend?? (1 Viewer)

In the Chgo Trib this morning was a quote from Bernie E of Formula1 saying they MUST pare the cost significantly in the next two years to SURVIVE.
If they are concerned about surviving, what do you think "common" people like NHRA teams are feeling.
Lee
Nitroclovers

I was trying to stay out of this but I know a guy who used to be a head mechanic at a toyota dealership and he used to hear heaps of cool interesting info about what toyota is doing behind the scenes and he told me oneday that toyota's yearly formula 1 budget is 2 billion dollars and they will keep paying it no matter what until they win formula 1. When you compare 2 billion dollars to what I have heard it costs to run nitro drag racing which apparently is around 3-4million a year , there not much comparisan . Whats nascars yearly costs 12 million? or indy car ?

Not saying costs aren't a problem just stating a comparison

I was trying to stay out of this but I know a guy who used to be a head mechanic at a toyota dealership and he used to hear heaps of cool interesting info about what toyota is doing behind the scenes and he told me oneday that toyota's yearly formula 1 budget is 2 billion dollars and they will keep paying it no matter what until they win formula 1.

According to Autosport, the entire F1 grid spent 2.6 Billion dollars in '06. Toyota was the highest annual budget at $400 million per year, followed by Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes at $300 million. Toyota's F1 budget is all out of Toyota Europe's budget (just as NASCAR is out of Toyota USA budget). I am sure that Toyota has internal websites and company newsletters, but I doubt that a mechanic in the USA is getting the inside scoop on a cloak and dagger European sport such as F1 ... especially with that amount of money at stake.

man i got bashed for telling the truth bout e knoll going to jail.. and that was REAL. this newbie is an idiot. this is onw time im on the wagon bash bash bash away at this fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::mad:

travo.
ps good luck to all the division two racers at the bricket finals in atlanta this weekend. everyone have fun and BE SAFE!!!!!!;)

man i got bashed for telling the truth bout e knoll going to jail.. and that was REAL. this newbie is an idiot. this is onw time im on the wagon bash bash bash away at this fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused::mad:

travo.
ps good luck to all the division two racers at the bricket finals in atlanta this weekend. everyone have fun and BE SAFE!!!!!!;)

Nice!! Gotta love Nitromater. And to think I paid a dollar to join this site!! I am an idiot. :eek:

Nice!! Gotta love Nitromater. And to think I paid a dollar to join this site!! I am an idiot. :eek:

Now that is a logical post.... (just kiddin Michael)

Here is why I care how much the teams spend on running these cars:

- As an Aspiring Top Fuel driver, like my friend Erica Ortiz, we are in a position to where we have to find OUTSIDE FUNDING from Corp Sponsors, to accomplish our GOAL, (not a dream) of racing Top Fuel or Funny Car professionally. So, the Budget to run a Top Fuel or Funny Car is very important to us. It gives us a baseline when we are spending HUNDREDS OF HOURS preparing and submitting sponsorship proposals. When the costs increase, we have to increase the amount we submit. If we are not getting contracts signed at $3.0 Million, do you think we are going to get them signed @ $3.5? We are not the only ones trying to do this either. How about all but maybe 2 pro NHRA teams? Looking for more sponsorship $'s.

- Do you like Gary Densham, Tim Wilkerson, Clay Millican, and other smaller budget pro racers?? if so, say good bye to these teams if Costs don't decrease soon...

- As a FAN, I like to know that my "ENTERTAINMENT DOLLAR" is being well spent, which for me is better (side by side) racing. The decrease in costs mean, possibly more entries, and tighter more compeditive fields.

Do I care about What a Movie cost... NO
Do I care about what a pro athlete makes.... NO
Do I care about the cost of the sport in which I'd like to make a career....YES...

I hope this is logical enough for you. :cool:

Michael - I hope you have enjoyed motorsports, because the costs of racing and the economy are going to force huge changes.
1.GM shares dropped 31% today and Ford dropped 22%. These companies are not going to survive without yet another bailout - which IMO, the public will not stand for, spelling the end of corporate support for all forms of motorsports.
2. Max Moseley is holding meetings with F1 principals, stating that the series will not make it through 2010 without massive cost cutting. Canadian Grand Prix sponsors have already pulled out for 2009.
3. A reliable source tell me that only 24 Sprint Cup NASCAR teams have signed full year sponsorships for 2009. In addition, there were 50.000 empty seats at last week's Talledega race.

So . . . enjoy the new era, without many of the teams that a lot of maters care about - Jim

As long as someone else has already hi-jacked this thread...where is Franklin and his propster?

It is going to be pretty interesting to see what transpires for all of motorsports in the next couple of years..even more the entire world economy. It would be interesting so see where we would be now if energy and food prices hadn't skyrocketed and the Fed didn't raise the interest rates a while ago in response to the aforementioned price increases. Yet thats a totally different discussion.

The problem with 'cost control' rules is that no matter what rules are in affect teams will spend as much as they can on R&D. Eccelstone could require all F1 teams to use a 283 SBC with a quadra-jet and a powerglide next year to 'control' costs. I bet Toyota and the top teams would spend as much as they can to optimize the combination. Drag racing is in the same situation. JFR and DSR spend alot of money. They enjoy scales of economy spreading out the expense over several teams. One car teams are either forced to spend the same amount of money on a blower dyno for their one car as DSR and JFR spend for several or get hand me down parts.

Its going to be a tough deal to in the next couple of years to keep car count and spectator numbers up to support motorsports.

Michael - I hope you have enjoyed motorsports, because the costs of racing and the economy are going to force huge changes.
1.GM shares dropped 31% today and Ford dropped 22%. These companies are not going to survive without yet another bailout - which IMO, the public will not stand for, spelling the end of corporate support for all forms of motorsports.
2. Max Moseley is holding meetings with F1 principals, stating that the series will not make it through 2010 without massive cost cutting. Canadian Grand Prix sponsors have already pulled out for 2009.
3. A reliable source tell me that only 24 Sprint Cup NASCAR teams have signed full year sponsorships for 2009. In addition, there were 50.000 empty seats at last week's Talledega race.

So . . . enjoy the new era, without many of the teams that a lot of maters care about - Jim

Last edited:
Ok, let me help clear some things up since my original post.

I obviously got everyone worked up over my comments and I believe they were taken wrong. My point of my first post was to ask why people care what it costs. As a fan, I cannot control the costs of drag racing. It is was it is. JFR and DSR are gonna spend millions upon millions on R&D to race. As a fan I cannot control that. Is it gonna hurt the little guys...you bet. Doesn't mean I want to see Densham and Wilkerson go by the way side, but as a fan, it's outta my hands.

I think that people took my "why do you care" comment as "I don't give a squirt of piss if Densham and the little guys get run out of business." That is not how I wanted it interpreted. I would hate to see the low budget guys get run out of business, but as a fan, I cannot control that. John Force and any other big budget team aren't gonna think twice about crushing the competetion or forcing them out.

As for all the drivers who responded: Hell yes you should care what it costs to play the game. It's your livelyhood. But my first post was about why FANS care. I know the drivers care and they should in a big big way.

I'm just saying as a FAN that the only thing I can really do is stay tuned, watch ESPN, buy merchandise, and go to the races, which I gladly do every year. And I don't mind paying for a higher priced ticket is that helps the sport. But as a FAN that is all I can do. I am certainly not going to lose sleep over the fact that it costs a crap load of money to play this game. That is why I am in the stands and not in the pits because I cannot barely buy a piston or two.

Ok, let me help clear some things up since my original post.

I obviously got everyone worked up over my comments and I believe they were taken wrong. My point of my first post was to ask why people care what it costs. As a fan, I cannot control the costs of drag racing. It is was it is. JFR and DSR are gonna spend millions upon millions on R&D to race. As a fan I cannot control that. Is it gonna hurt the little guys...you bet. Doesn't mean I want to see Densham and Wilkerson go by the way side, but as a fan, it's outta my hands.

I think that people took my "why do you care" comment as "I don't give a squirt of piss if Densham and the little guys get run out of business." That is not how I wanted it interpreted. I would hate to see the low budget guys get run out of business, but as a fan, I cannot control that. John Force and any other big budget team aren't gonna think twice about crushing the competetion or forcing them out.

As for all the drivers who responded: Hell yes you should care what it costs to play the game. It's your livelyhood. But my first post was about why FANS care. I know the drivers care and they should in a big big way.

I'm just saying as a FAN that the only thing I can really do is stay tuned, watch ESPN, buy merchandise, and go to the races, which I gladly do every year. And I don't mind paying for a higher priced ticket is that helps the sport. But as a FAN that is all I can do. I am certainly not going to lose sleep over the fact that it costs a crap load of money to play this game. That is why I am in the stands and not in the pits because I cannot barely buy a piston or two.

Michael, the unfortunate thing about posting on a forum and TYPING your question, response, etc. is that it obviously doesn't capture the tone of voice, facial expression, etc, by the poster. I took your question at face value and didn't find it to be of the whining variety. You're just asking a straightforward question. I share Chris Cook's sentiments on this issue. Perhaps simply by removing the "why" from the question, you might not have elicited such a negative response.

He took a negative beating in this post cause the majority of the posters here like to jump on anyone that goes against the grain.

As for the gas prices, Boby hit the nail on the head about prices going up and then dropping half that, which people seem to let happen time and again. When will gas be back below $2 like 06?

As for the what it cost to race to a fan...I would bet that if any FAN went up to John force and asked him what he spent to race, he would most likely tell you to get bent, because it is none of our business(FANS). Therefore if it is none of my business, why in the hell should I care that he is wasting as much money as he does to race. Noone ever said Nitro racing was cheap to do.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back