Why do we need to overcharge for food at the races? (1 Viewer)

you have a choice... bring your own food and drink. I do not only because of price but because the food sucks

At least at Joliet, they have not allowed you to bring any type of food in for years. I have been there around a diabetic two different years, they couldn't even bring anything. The VIP parking on the pit side could be well worth the extra charge to save on food and drink. We will probably go that route next year.
We were at a concert 2 weeks ago where a regular size beer was $14. Insane.

Similar to the last post, I would bypass buying drinks by bringing a bottle (or several in the summer heat) of water. Now they got the water patrol at the gates, you cant bring it in... The loophole is I think they let you bring an empty bottle in so you can fill it at the water fountain (in the case of BIR, the one single water fountain at the bathroom).

I just deal with it and eat a big dinner, and hit the water fountain up lots. The high prices just hurt them because I would get stuff from them if it was reasonable. Whether its by choice or they have to jack the prices up due to the cost for the vendor spot, they could maybe do better if the stuff was cheaper.

BTW, they used to give away cartons of Winstons back in the day, have never seen them give out free poweraid... have seen them give out full throttle.. but i honestly hate the stuff and wouldnt drink it if I was dying of thirst on a crazy hot day (which again usually the case)

At least at Joliet, they have not allowed you to bring any type of food in for years. I have been there around a diabetic two different years, they couldn't even bring anything. The VIP parking on the pit side could be well worth the extra charge to save on food and drink. We will probably go that route next year.
We were at a concert 2 weeks ago where a regular size beer was $14. Insane.

WHOA! That's really tough.

I don't think the prices at Englishtown are "that" excessive, maybe, because there is the CHOICE to bring your own. We almost always pack bread, sandwich fixins, chips, and soda and water. Might spring for ice cream or local stuff late in the day.
In contrast:
My son-in-law has season tix for the Giants and "for security reasons" (HAH!) they haven't allowed any carry-in for years. Good enough reason NOT to attend any game IMHO - Now he's looking at a big "Seat License" fee for the privilege of purchasing worse seats in the new stadium. (THAT really frosts me!)

There is a point where the price/value relationship (and the fact that one doesn't like being an abused sucker) doesn't make sense. We aren't there yet(at least, at Englishtown). I hope the NHRA doesn't spend a lot of time 'figgering how to suck more money out of the fan or racer without returning additional value. (Until the economic environment improves and the car count improves, don't try to kill the golden goose.)

Similar to the last post, I would bypass buying drinks by bringing a bottle (or several in the summer heat) of water. Now they got the water patrol at the gates, you cant bring it in... The loophole is I think they let you bring an empty bottle in so you can fill it at the water fountain (in the case of BIR, the one single water fountain at the bathroom).

I just deal with it and eat a big dinner, and hit the water fountain up lots. The high prices just hurt them because I would get stuff from them if it was reasonable. Whether its by choice or they have to jack the prices up due to the cost for the vendor spot, they could maybe do better if the stuff was cheaper.

BTW, they used to give away cartons of Winstons back in the day, have never seen them give out free poweraid... have seen them give out full throttle.. but i honestly hate the stuff and wouldnt drink it if I was dying of thirst on a crazy hot day (which again usually the case)

I remember getting free Powerade at the conclusion of an event at Reading a couple years ago.

IMS treats folks this way now because they HAVE TO. It wasn't this way 15 years ago when the 500 mattered. They now have no fans ... so there is value there if you choose to go.

Those badges for pit access have been around since 1938. They have no fans...really? They have run off their share of fans...just like the NHRA and NASCAR but they will have opportunity to recover as long as they don't shorten races and impliment stupid points systems.

The charging because you're just there part is not true in most cases. Most of the times it's vendors that come in and they have to pay the track a vendor fee. I know in the South Central Division it's $500 or 25% of what you make at most of the tracks, and then most of the tracks don't own the concession stands. They have somebody else to come in and run it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back