Where do they get there start? (1 Viewer)

Thats so true , Virgil . This thread has been great considering I have had an anoying lack of motivation . I need to surround myself with can do people and not can't do . I have felt like I am lacking suportive people not finacial but mental . Thanks everybody .

My step son attended his first drag race at Brainerd with his mother and I back in 2001 at age 11. He was the typical pit rat, running around,getting hero cards signed, and hanging out and talking to various racers and crew members. He became pretty good friends with Shawn and Blake Gann, by offering to help out with anything. At age 16 and 17 he spent the summers on the road with the Gann's pro stock motorcycle team as basically an intern. After he graduated high school he went to Wyotech for high performance cars, and after graduation was offered a fulltime position with the Gann's RumBum pro stock motorcycle team.He is now with them full time, and will be working at the shop prepping the bikes for the season next year, as well as serving as a fulltime crew member. His ultimate dream is to eventually find his way to driving, and his preference is Top Fuel...his current inspiration towards that goal is Antron Brown...and to think it all started out with him just running around getting autographs.
All I can say is to follow the advice you read here, and follow your dream. Best of luck.

Also

Don't be afraid to work for your local speed shop, parts supplier, machine shop or even the race track itself. Surrounding yourself with people that have more experience than yourself and listening to them is just part of the answer. There are lots of avenues to be involved in drag racing.
Don't limit your options to just drag racing either, many (Pedredon Bros, Capps, Maynard Yingst, Bazemore etc) have started in other forms of racing even though drag racing was their goal and passion. ANY racing is better than NO racing....

TK

William your best bet is to get on Pitcrews, and work your way up towards the class you find the best! If you show spunk and a desire to drive that could be opened up to you down the road!

Well I think you've gotten plenty of good advice here so far. It can be frustrating to see other young people have an easier entry into the sport, whether because of having a family with extra money or a family already involved in racing. But, obviously there are plenty of examples of people who have found a way without those advantages. The motivation has to come from within. If you really want it, you'll make it happen. As far as seat time goes, you may want to consider Kart racing, while simultaneously making contacts within drag racing circles as much as possible. You could land a gig helping out on a team, and get some driving time in a Kart when you're able. Kart racing is still probably the best bang for the buck in all of motorsports, and I'm sure you know that most Indycar and F1 driver learn and continue to practice by driving Karts. And they can be absolute rockets!

Thanks everybody this thread has been great really gotten me out of my motivationless rut . Thanks everybody .

Dude, time to steal moms car and get to the track. Change your name and have some fun.
One word of advise is have some spare motor mounts just in case. Don't ask how I know. :D

William, look up my buddy Dave Green at American Parts in New Zealand and maybe he can give you a few pointers and guide you in the right direction. Dave knows lots of folks in your country involved in motorsports. PM me and I can provide a contact #. Best of luck to you in your endeavors.

William, don't be discouraged about being in a rut, everyone goes through them.

If I can offer some more advice, always remind yourself that you've got to be doing something to advance yourself to the altimate goal.

Sometimes in life the path from Point A to Point B is not always a straightline. Most racers are not full time racers, but have made their living doing something else and the racing is a byproduct of their success. You don't have to be a automotive whiz to be a competitor, but you got to be smart enough to know your limitations and who to go for answers. This place is a good start.

One last bit, I have friends who goals are to be proffessional golfers even though they're in their 40's. Dosn't seem likely that they'll make it like Tiger Woods, but there's always the Senior's tour.

Your heading into your summer months, can you get a job doing anything and save your money up for a trip to California for the March Meet? If theres one race worth coming to the states for, it would be the March Meet.

Best wishes for success.

I completely Understand, William.
I grew up at the track. I have always, always wanted to race since I was 3 yrs old, that is when I met Shirley Muldowney at the US Nationals. I am now 25. I've had my ups and major, major downs. I even moved away from the sport, to Hawaii, and returned to nothing. Now, I am on mainland and starting all over. I am going to Frank Halwley in January. I do not have the money to own my own car at this point since my family has retired from the sport. Nothing has ever been handed to me, ever. My family is selfish, they worked for everything they've got so they are going to race them and not let the next person have it easy. I am set out to do it on my own now and have the pride of saying "daddy didn't hand this to me". lol. He gave me about everything else that I ever wanted but my own drag car.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back