Where do they get there start? (1 Viewer)

Mooseman

Nitro Member
Before I start i want to say this isnt a negative thread or anything like that . Its more a way that I may learn something that may help me get into drag racing . I am 21 and I dream of going drag racing . I myself though am not in a financial position to race in any class right now . I just see alot of young people racing some younger then me I see this in many forms of motorsport and I wind up thinking wow these people are my age or younger and are out doing this stuff how do they do it where did they get their start? . I personally am the only one in my family with any desire to race none of my parents or family are involved in racing or can afford to race . As someone who really wants to race I figured these other young people obviously did something right to get where they are where did they start?

William, I have noticed your posting on this site for quite sometime now and I can see your passion for the sport. In my opinion what you need to do is go to the race track and meet someone who races and see if you can hang out and help them. You really do not need any money to do that. once you start being around people who race you can work yourself into many areas. Now you need to understand that you will not be driving anything down the race track, but once you are in the mix you get to network and work with like minded individuals. Remember that you will learn much more by listening, rather than talking. Work hard, ask questions, follow instructions and one day you will have an opportunity to do what you really want to do. This really works for racing or anything you want to accomplish in life. I wish you were closer to where I am i would be pleased to have you come out and hang out at the shop or race track. Your posts show me that you are thoughtful and have a great passion for the sport. So good luck in finding a place to start your journey.

I have seen a lot of kids come up through JR Dragsters and/or go-kart racing. Many times the family is already into racing so they follow along.

The word is to be a Gopher... wash parts, drain the puke can, be willing to do the gunt work. Simply ask, "what can I do to help?"

Spend as much time at the track as you can. Hopefully, some one that races lives close to you.

If not, you've got to be willing to put it on the line. Racing comes in all flavors. Not everyone starts with a fuel car, heck, ET bracket race your street car, get it right, learn the basics there.

The answer to your question really is simple, come hell or high water, do it... don't dream about it, be willing to live in a boarding house if you must, living on mac and cheese, PBJ's, instant coffee, and fish-n-chips....

Or find a rich girlfriend...

d'kid

Yeah alot of people say to just do it which is great if you have money . I notced alot of people come up through carts and jr dragsters which is another great thing its a great way for the young people to race once again if you have money . I may not come from the most financially secure background but you look at the price and money that goes into those things and its like wow how do normal people afford those , My parents were more worried about paying the bills every month. Im not trying to sound negative or anything . Im just looking at things I want to do my dreams and my ambitions and goals and trying to figure out how im going to do this .

Or find a rich girlfriend...

d'kid

I'll take TWO, Karl.... :D

Some good advice coming your way William... Like Chris McGee said in your previous thread, you live in a country with a wealth of sucessful auto racing history.... Get out there and see if you can get your hands dirty as a gopher/ parts washer/ oil tub drainer, and most remember the most important part-

LISTEN.

All this is true William! I am only 23 been doing this since i was 10! Started as a fan worked my way in with a team and have since worked with a pro stock team for a few races and helped with my dad run numerous cars! I after all the years finally got a chance to race this season! I only ran about half the season but it was a blast and it was all i have done over the years paying me back! My suggestion is like everyone else just start getting your hands dirty and asking if anyone needs help you will more than likely start as a intern as most do but it helps in the long run! Also another thing that will help is gettin liscened! My suggestion is save your money and go to frank hawleys that also helps if a situation comes up and someone is looking for a driver! That is actually how i met my sponsor and as he was there liscensing as well! But thats my 2 cents man if you are at any race that d7 runs look me up i will be out there!

Clint

I live in New Zealand no racing schools down here , racers have to learn by the seat of their pants down here .

If you drive a car - ANY CAR - you can Drag Race.

Why not try Bracket Racing? ANYTHING to get some seat time.

If you have good reactions - you'll have fun and if not, maybe you can wrench, promote or otherwise be involved.

Thanks everybody , I know exactly what you are all saying . I don't want to sound jelous or resentfull . I just see these young people out racing some even in alchy and nitro classes and I just think "How did they get there who is paying their bills you know" For me its allways been "If I want something it comes out of my pocket" Which is fine by me since I never ask anything of anybody . But I also look at guys like John Force look at him he came from nothing theres no better rags to risches story then him.

Thanks everybody , I know exactly what you are all saying . I don't want to sound jelous or resentfull . I just see these young people out racing some even in alchy and nitro classes and I just think "How did they get there who is paying their bills you know" For me its allways been "If I want something it comes out of my pocket" Which is fine by me since I never ask anything of anybody . But I also look at guys like John Force look at him he came from nothing theres no better rags to risches story then him.

If you look back far enough William, you'll find everybody ultimately started from the bottom. Even the wealthy had to get that of which they have, and if they inherited it, there's a probability within 2-3 generations before them that had to build it from the dirt up...

My best advise is to go hang out at the strip every chance you get, offer to help everyone, you'll get a job. Heck, even get a job at the track.

Spencer Massey's dad got him into Jr. dragsters, but I really don't think that he (Ray) could have afforded to build his son a Top Fuel car. Spencer got where he's at through his own desires and passions. He really wanted it and did whatever it took to get there.

But you have to know this William, it takes ALOT of hard work to make it in Drag Racing, nothing comes for free. When I was in my mid twenties I moved to Austin and was a Drag Racing freak, I wanted to go Drag Racing so bad. I met Larry Reep (Grim Reeper) and volunteered to do anything and everything on his Alcohol Funny Car Team. Larry didn't have sponsors, etc., but we had alot of fun, we won our share of rounds, and I got to see the sport from the inside out. Trust me, it takes ALOT of work, everyone out there does it with passion and for the love of the sport, not for the money. Does that make any sense?

Yip that amkes total sense , and blieve me I dont care about the money either ihave no desire to be rich I just want to do the things I want to do . I know what you mean about guys starting in jr dragsters , well I dont know what thats like my parents were never in a position to afford that . I have no doubt in the world that anyone out there racing didnt work really hard . I will find some way to race somehow .

By the way, what time is it over there, shouldn't you be in work, or at school, or working the farm, or something???:D

And don't take it the wrong way if your offers to help are politely declined.
There is alot at stake and owners or crew chiefs try to minimize mistakes by having only trained/experienced team members.

Obviously your heart is in the right place so keep at it.
Someday when you're famous we'll dig this post back up and say "SEE?!" :D :cool:

William, I have seen your posts on this very subject for a couple of years now on different boards. You keep asking how, you get good answers, but you have not done anything to accomplish your goals.

For anyone to accomplish anything in life, the first thing you must do is change your dreams into goals. You do this by writing them down. You become committed if they are written. Next on the agenda is to form a game plan. You list the steps you feel it will take to accomplish your goals, and how you are going to accomplish each step. Make a time line for each step. I use one, three and six months, one year and five years in my planning. I keep track of how I am proceeding and make adjustments based on my progress. Maybe more is getting done, maybe less. Either way you must make adjustments to your plan.

For your stated dreams, I would do the following:
1. Go to events where racers are; i.e. race events, displays, team facilities, etc.
A. Talk to as many as you can.
1). Write notes after your talks for later reference. These notes would include, but not be limited to;
a. They seem to like me.
b. They are doing what I want to do.
c. Reasonable proximity to where I live.
d. I fit in with the group. Similar likes and dislikes, lifestyle, etc.
e. The opportunities to learn what I want to learn.
2. Pick up to five groups that you would most like to be involved with.
A. Rate them one through five.
1) Go to the first on your list and see if arrangements can be made to be a part of their team.
2) If rejected, go to the next, and the next and the next.
3. If rejected by all, make another list and do it all over again. Keep trying.
4. Learn by observation, listening to instructions, and doing a job quickly and correctly. Never complain or feel you are too good for any task. Ask questions only at appropriate times. Too many questions means you are too lazy to learn on your own and you depend on others to remember for you.
5. Make an updated plan.

You need to add the hows and time line as I am not familiar with your ultimate goals, surroundings or availability to race teams. And lack of money to get started is only an excuse, not a reason for lack of starting or accomplishment of your goals. It only means you have to include acquiring money as part of your game plan.

I practice what I preach every year. After much thought and discussions with my wife and family, two months ago I came to a decision to change my lifestyle and profession. I made the exact type of game plan for me and it is progressing quite nicely.

Good luck and hopefully success for you.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back