Reaching the Younger fans?? (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Over the past week or two on another thread the subject of younger fans and how to get them came up. I maintain that younger driver's such as Ashley, J.R. Todd, Dave Connelly, Steve Torrence and others have brought younger fans into the fold. And I think Driving Force has done that as well, however a lot of people dissagree with me, saying that our fanbase continues to age. But I also think your average 18-24 year old doesn't relate to the 45-60 year old drivers they see out there racing every week either. And if Younger drivers doesn't expand the Youth base, I don't think anything can. I wanna hear what others think on how to get the Younger fans out to the track, I don't see NHRA lowering prices anytime soon, and I think that's the first place to start IMO.

Over the past week or two on another thread the subject of younger fans and how to get them came up. I maintain that younger driver's such as Ashley, J.R. Todd, Dave Connelly, Steve Torrence and others have brought younger fans into the fold. And I think Driving Force has done that as well, however a lot of people dissagree with me, saying that our fanbase continues to age. But I also think your average 18-24 year old doesn't relate to the 45-60 year old drivers they see out there racing every week either. And if Younger drivers doesn't expand the Youth base, I don't think anything can. I wanna hear what others think on how to get the Younger fans out to the track, I don't see NHRA lowering prices anytime soon, and I think that's the first place to start IMO.

Joe, I definitely agree with you on the ticket price issue. Most tracks offer a reduced price for 12 and under, but they could take a page from most teams in Major League Baseball and offer a half price student ticket. Maybe not necessarily an entire event, but a day of qualifying would be a good start.

I can only speak from my experience. When I take my kids to a drag race I'll let them bring a friend and I pay their entry fee and lunch. This allows my kids a chance to have friends their own age with them, and it allows me some time alone as well as some time with them. It doesn't have to be a high priced National event either. The CHHR isn't expensive and usually is a superb show. I figure that about 90% of the kids we've introduced to the sport are still fans. If you can't afford $23 plus lunch maybe introduce them to grudge night at a local track on a Wednesday night. If they have never been to a drag race a 9.90 car will probably get them to come back, and bring a friend, etc.

Drag racing still owns the 18-34 year old market. The problem is that many of them do not have the discretionary income to spend. They can race their Honda Civic or their '79 Ford 1/2 ton without spending any money on it unlike racing at the local dirt track.

Our local track [ Texas Raceway ] is 12 and under free anytime and along with the premo Jr Dragster program is a big boon to getting kids started as well as interested .

I often bring grandkids and even their friends because its importaint we keep introducing the young ones to our sport to ensure it lives on as long as we do.

I spend a ton on drinks and food because have you ever known a little kid not to be hungry like every 45 minutes.

A local Pro Mod racer's wife [ Thanks Celeste ] stopped the turnaround program and put the four I was herding through the pits into the beautiful Blown Keith Black Hemi 1970 Cuda nicknamed the Hellfish one at a time .

I was so shocked I forgot to take pictures.
Now wouldn't that have been something to have a record of !

Last trip to the races with a gang I did take pictures and in one my grandson leaned on a beautiful 63 corvette Top Sportsman car just as I snapped the picture.
Lord I about had a heart attack , that had to be a $ 20,000 dollar paint job.
Wrangling 7 and 8 year olds is a real job and the parents have my sympathies.
The kids have fun though and I always remember going to the nationals when I was a kid and I also remember a Young Dick Harrell who took time to show me his 63 Chevy Super Stock in his garage.
Yep kids are the future and they are impressionable.

Last edited:
I don't see why young people cant relate to the older drivers out there now , I am 20 and all my heroes are either older racers or retired racers for example , The mongoose , the snake , garlits , jungle jim , kenny bernstein, dale armstrong , ed the ace , big jim dunn ,austin coil , richard tharp raymond beadle. To many to list , I tend to get along better with adults then I do with people my own age so that could be why .

Last edited:
I wrote a short letter that appeared in National Dragster a few years ago regarding this issue. Unfortunately, I have not seen anything happen. I think 1 of 2 things needs to happen. 1) Children 15 & under get in free at national events. After all, how are they going to get there if they cannot drive? 2) Students 19 & under receive half off of admission.

The only other suggestion I have is that we fans and racers do our part at getting kids interested in the sport in our own creative ways. I am a substitute teacher right now and whenever I am teaching math, I try to create problems dealing with drag racing. The kids love these real life examples and it is great to teach them a little bit about racing. However, unless we can get them to a national event, I don't think we can make much of a difference. And to the track operators in areas where there are no national events, they need to do their part by providing free spectator admission to students.

I've been taking my 2 sons to the races since they were pretty much old enough to walk. The oldest one races with me now too. The younger one who's now 12, his favorite drivers are both over 40. The oldest one, we'll..his favorite now is 25 I think, only because she's "HOT" as he says. One of my youngest favorite is actually a Mater, the other is John Force. I will say this, the younger drivers could learn a thing or two from John Force and "Rapid" Randy Baker when it comes to the treatment of their fans. There's a reason are his favorites. It comes down to making the younger fans feel welcome, and letting them know you're glad they are there. Take a little time with the younger fans, they'll never forget it and will always be fans.

OK, throw the sponsors in. When Monster came on board, my (then 12 3/4 years old) son became a Kenny Bernstein fan! Um, Ron and Gary don't take it personally....Dean still thinks y'all are BAMF's! His words, not mine. ;)

Dean's not the typical demographic though. He's been going to Nat'l. events since he was 2 1/2. I believe he will keep going.....and find the money no matter his age. OH! And Mom's always there just to help out a bit if need be. :D

Motorsports_Awareness_FINAL.jpg

The Motorsports Parts Manufacturers Council, part of the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA), launched a new campaign this month to increase attendance at motorsports events and public awareness of the aftermarket industry. The program is titled "Take a Friend to a Race" and includes a series of ads and promotional pieces that urge enthusiasts to invite and introduce friends, relatives and neighbors who have never attended a motorsports event to do so.

To help you "Take a Friend to a Race", Drag Racing Online has connected with our friends at Auto Club Dragway in Fontana, CA, to offer a special three-day spectator ticket for their NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Series event on Sept. 12–14 for FREE! The categories competing at this event consist of A/Fuel, AA/Gas Supercharged, Junior Fuel A & B, Nostalgia Eliminator 1, 2 & 3, A/Gas, B/Gas, C/Gas and D/Gas classes, and the Hot Rod class. All classes will be earning points for Hot Rod Heritage Series Championships to be decided at the California Hot Rod Reunion at Famoso in October.

It’s easy to get tickets...all you need to do is send an email with your name and address and Drag Racing Online will send you a pair of FREE three-day spectator passes to this Hot Rod Heritage Series event held at Southern California’s best kept secret, Auto Club Dragway at AAA Speedway in Fontana.

Send your email with the word “Tickets” in the subject line to [email protected] and we’ll get a pair of three-day spectator passes out to you by snail mail. Remember to bring a friend who has never been to a drag race along with you!

As has been discussed here way too much, no amount of television coverage can equal the real thing... DRAG RACING IN PERSON!

Tickets are courtesy of Auto Club Dragway at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

Last edited:
That's freakin' awesome! Thanks for sharing Darr!

Yes, Joe...I like free tickets. Even ADRL! :)

I don't see why young people cant relate to the older drivers out there now , I am 20 and all my heroes are either older racers or retired racers for example , The mongoose , the snake , garlits , jungle jim , kenny bernstein, dale armstrong , ed the ace , big jim dunn ,austin coil , richard tharp raymond beadle. To many to list , I tend to get along better with adults then I do with people my own age so that could be why .

Same here. I'm 26 but my favorite drivers (with the exception of Hillary and Ashley) are all the older ones. One of my favorite drivers is Jim Head.

Same here. I'm 26 but my favorite drivers (with the exception of Hillary and Ashley) are all the older ones. One of my favorite drivers is Jim Head.

Then you must have watched the short-lived "Driving Head" TV show when you were a kid!

TV is the "only way" new drag racing fans can be reached today... :rolleyes: Right?

The last survey I looked at, done by NHRA, had no numbers for the under 16 age group. Why, they won't fill out the survey sheets nor will they clean there room, wash the cars, pick up there clothes, etc.

For the under 25 crowd who grew up in this sport, yeah I can understand them having the Older hero's in this sport. But some kid 18-24 who's never been to a Major drag race, or even a local bracket show. What do you think is going through they're head when they see all these driver's they're Dad's age? The idea that unless WE fans bring kids to the races is the only way this sport can survive? Give me a break........:confused:

If it wasnt for John Force, we'd have a whole lot less fans today than we do. I am ready for a younger version of him and Jungle Jim to reappear any day, we sure need them.

FWIW: I wonder if anyone knows the dempgraphics for "PINKS".

The show seems to be a commercial success- they're selling ads and production costs are probably low - they've even spawned some spin-offs.

It can't be just us old fogies!

That said, I wonder how many people who watch the show and have never been to a Drag Race - especially a national event?

I still believe - in my heart-of-hearts - "if you bring 'em -they'll become FANS!" Some, maybe more hardcore than others.

FWIW: I wonder if anyone knows the dempgraphics for "PINKS".

The show seems to be a commercial success- they're selling ads and production costs are probably low - they've even spawned some spin-offs.

It can't be just us old fogies!

That said, I wonder how many people who watch the show and have never been to a Drag Race - especially a national event?

I still believe - in my heart-of-hearts - "if you bring 'em -they'll become FANS!" Some, maybe more hardcore than others.

Jim your right Pinks does get good ratings, but I just don't understand why it's "The Fans" responsibility to promote this sport! What's NHRA's role in all of this? Didn't they plop down a substantial amount of Cash to some agency to market this sport? I guess it's not doing squat if that's the case..

Last edited:
when i was young the ads for the races had all the names;
garlits, muldowney, prudhomme, beadle, beck, the greek, kalitta,
mccewen, etc........these guys/gal were the BIG NAMES.
today i would argue the nhra has john force.
likewise with nascar they maybe have gordon, stewart & earnhardt.

focus on the drivers; they need to be larger than life.
(rivalries, aka vandergriffs article on compplus.com)
(driver's names down side of cars, aka don garlits on 1320.com)

i think the fans will follow.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back