Where do you think drag racing is going for 2021? (1 Viewer)

And the final decision to run the500 without fans was made by Roger Penske. They had the OK to have 88,000 at the track for the race.

Straight from the source.

Alan

Indy Fans.jpg

Someone mentioned going back to the way racing usta be. Am thinking of when a Divisional had T/F & F/C & Pro Stock. Well, instead of having National events, why not Divisional w/ smaller fields? Like 8 car T/F, F/C P/S T/AD, TA/FC, etc etc. Q on Thur & Fri & race on Sat w/ nitro elims at nite. Just throwing this out, but I well remember we had great crowds at shows like these across the country. OK, to stir the pot. I hate buying anything from China. Hate that nitro comes from there. Would there be an equivilent fuel that could be used instead of nitro? Or, no nitro, just alky, but maybe put an additive in the alky so that flames would show up at night. I know alky makes flames, but ya can't see it at night. Alky would be cheaper to run, say only 2 mill per year instead of 3.... Just my 2.5 cents....
Nitro is the soul of pro Drag Racing,mess with that it is over

2021 is going to be rough. Covid won’t be manageable until about mid year. Between this fall and the end of winter, we’ll be in recession if not depression. Businesses will be gone or extremely hurting. The end of the government prop up is coming soon and there’s not enough economic confidence for businesses to expand, rehire etc. I hope I’m wrong but I think next year will be another transition year trying to figure out how racing can work. And when all of us boomers are gone, there’s little younger backfill. Other than that, everything is great.

that is a great statement put out by nhra. indiana and hendricks county has allowed two nhra events thus far; that is two motorsports events that anyone in cdc/govt can dissect for protocol.
a hell of a lot better than having run NO event/s. nhra, just keep doing what you're doing; so far, so good. at some point, we will not be told to live in cages any longer, and the gov't will have
to look at how to hold spectator events again. maybe nhra will be a model they will look at. ....... nhra mite even look at having all fans and racers in attendance register upon entry.
name/address/ph #, so that it can be documented for future pandemic statistics who was there.

Last edited:
As for IMS and the Indy 500, I don't think Penske wanted to mess with all the Covid restrictions, just a headache he doesn't need when the series will make plenty of money from sponsors and advertising, at least for this one race. My 2 cents.

How can IRP be allowed to run at 50% capacity while 15 minutes away, the biggest auto race in the world is not allowed ANY spectators? Am I missing something?

The Speedway is in Marion County which includes the city of Indianapolis, while IRP is in Hendricks County which looks to be mostly rural. I'm sure Marion County's covid statistics were worse due to Indianapolis.

From the articles that I read the speedway was allowed to have 88K spectators. Penske made the executive decision to run the race without fans.

Hopefully it will keep going strong so we get to watch some more of the young guns honing their skills and doing some good hard racing. Right now Justin Ashely is turning on win lights with his amazing reaction times... and hopefully tomorrow Bobby Bode can finish his license runs and we can see him out here very soon in his dads car. He did a really nice job making a couple short hits on Mon after Indy2 and they are planning 3 passes tomorrow.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back