Warm up question (1 Viewer)

Nothing better than a warmup with a couple of good throttle hits! :D I always enjoy the guys that think they're bad-asses walk right up by the front beside me only to run away like little girls once they get a little nitro in their noses. :p

One of the main reasons I wanted a fuel car was the warmups! 10 years ago everyone whacked the throttle! The pit area during warmups were as exciting as the race. We will always do it...... hell this season its the best thing we have done....haha. Our performance hasn't been very good but our warmups are Bad Ass! !! We are working on the performance now...... come by and hang out for the warmup when we're at an event,see you soon! Scott Palmer

......while you're at it, throw in some dry hops and you'll rule the grandstands.... :D

It's really a tug of war between the constant evolution of making the cars as fast and consistent as possible, and the "show". Many of the things we love, such as dry hops, no longer make sense due to today's clutches. Modern tune-ups produce no flames at idle, but huge fire at the hit. The list goes on. FC bodies that look like street cars aren't good for 320+mph. An extreme example would be smoking the tires the length of the track, while racing. Visually awesome, but, certainly not the quickest way to get down there. Hard to have it both ways.

Spencer Massey knows this, or did at one time, and gave an extra whack for good measure during this high-quality video. Crank 'er up, boys and girls. :)

Listen to that big ol' Hemi idle - man, that thing was flat pounding the ground, nearly knocking the car off the jackstands at every hit.

Spencer Massey Snake Racing Warmup - YouTube

the best used to be Al Hoffman, Tommy Anderson used to do 3 Bumps! One time I saw Header blast lift a Pit table 3' off the ground in their Pit!

I miss them as well. Dry hops, dry launches, throttle whacks....seems they're taking all the fun out with the pointy end of the tire gauge, doesn't it?

I would usually get my fill of pit scenes from Thursdays to Saturdays, and leave Sundays for the crowds (unless there was a real tough turn-around to draw me down from the stands) so some of the most memorable memories I have is standing at the top of the stands, looking out over the pits, and hearing the different teams warm up before first round. Awnings billowing up with each BOMP! BOMP! of the throttle, like they were issuing challenges to each-other....real gunfighter stuff.

Hey, if it means I am more likely to see a hooked-up run on all 8, I am all for wimpy warm-ups, but it seems every year, there's more to miss, and more to reminisce about the "good 'ole days"

Nothing better than a warmup with a couple of good throttle hits! :D I always enjoy the guys that think they're bad-asses walk right up by the front beside me only to run away like little girls once they get a little nitro in their noses. :p

Better yet.. how about the "Macho" guys who walk up front and put on the "Gas Mask" & think they are the cats meaow....

I saw one gut with a mask, and ear plugs.. :confused: what the hell is the point of getting up close if your gonna wear a gas mask... ???

Throughout all the years I've gone to national events, the best warmup I've seen was Hillary Will a few years ago at Columbus when she was on the Kalitta team. It had just rained and the awning was puddled with water, unbeknownst to her crew. When she hit the throttle, it blew water all over the her crew and the crowd. Then she hit it again. When she got out of the cockpit, she was laughing her @ss off. Gotta tell you though, that little gal really laid into throttle when she whacked it. :D

It has also taken the fun away from taking someone new to the track. Nuthin better than watching them experience their first warm up if you dont pre warn them whats coming.

I too cannot understand these fans that bring masks, I get every last wiff of nitro I can at every race although I did wear one when I was part of the crew.

Earplugs are a must though. I am 40 and am down to about 30% of my hearing and I am sure quite a few of you are the same. Wish I had of worn them for the last 25 years.

Earplugs are a must though. I am 40 and am down to about 30% of my hearing and I am sure quite a few of you are the same. Wish I had of worn them for the last 25 years.

Times have changed. Used to be that musicians used on stage monitors, blaring music back up at them. Now they wear in-ear monitors (like the radio earplugs drivers use). That way they can hear themselves without having to get blasted by a wall of sound. But, for those that made the switch late in life, you'll hear them talk about the tinnitus they have.

I wear earplugs at the track as hard hearing later in life runs in the family. I value my hearing.

Gas masks -- Want to wear one? That's fine by me. Want to get a huge dose of nitro in all its glory? That's fine, too. To each their own.

Throughout all the years I've gone to national events, the best warmup I've seen was Hillary Will a few years ago at Columbus when she was on the Kalitta team.
The absolute worst dose of nitro I've ever gotten was from Tim Wilkerson at the World Series @ Cordova when he was driving the JCIT car. I've stood behind a lot of nitro cars but that the the worst/best dose of nitro by far!

Last edited:
Have to agree with just about all of you...what...WHAT...OH, thought someone was talking !!!.....Anyway, I still think one of the best sounds in any form of racing is when a fuel car goes from a relative smooth idle to all of a sudden that harsh BAM..BAM..BAM of NITRO !!!.....That changeover has gotten me for decades !!!.....Still love the sound of a NITRO motor !!!.....what..WHAT..oh 'cuse me...............

The absolute worst does of nitro I've ever gotten was from Tim Wilkerson at the World Series @ Cordova when he was driving the JCIT car. I've stood behind a lot of nitro cars but that the the worst/best dose of nitro by far!

it's been posted before (like a few others) but worth repeating :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZS8lDoKg5M
can remember a few yellow clouds pouring out from kalitta canopy too back
in the day when connie and scott ran the TF & FC outta' the same trailer

Last edited:
Better yet.. how about the "Macho" guys who walk up front and put on the "Gas Mask" & think they are the cats meaow....

I saw one gut with a mask, and ear plugs.. :confused: what the hell is the point of getting up close if your gonna wear a gas mask... ???

Youre kidding right? A mask enables one to be and stay as close as possible during a warmup. Pref one that includes throttle wacks. Yeah,go ahead and inhale all that nitro tough guy,ill be front row enjoying a full out assault on my body and sense (minus smell).

It would seem the 'macho' guys are the ones with no mask?:confused:

The absolute worst does of nitro I've ever gotten was from Tim Wilkerson at the World Series @ Cordova when he was driving the JCIT car. I've stood behind a lot of nitro cars but that the the worst/best dose of nitro by far!
That brings back some memories, that was the first nitro team that I worked on.

I miss the Beer Cars!! Dixon whacked it a couple of times and K. Bernstein whacked it "3" times. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back