warm ups weak these days? (1 Viewer)

Here's a pic of a Kalitta warmup, from Lisa Edmonson's 2008 Gators pics
270118803_mDeHg-M.jpg

Thats a cool picture , from the interviews i have read and the videos I have seen it seems to be commen knowledge that the Kalitta's have allways burnt more nitro then anybody .

that is a really cool pic.
imagine how odd that photo looks to someone with no knowledge
of drag racing

maybe the smokers that bother you were non-smokers before they came
to their first drag race, but were enticed to smoke by the then series
sponsor winston? ;)
all kidding aside, i'm a smoker and i actually agree with you.
i think it's time for more no smoking laws at stadium seating
style events

I'll trade a chain smoker for a DUMB A$$ DRUNK in the stands any day. I don't understand why people pay lots of $$$ for a ticket then get so drunk that they fall down. For those people please stay home.

PS I also don't smoke.

Shawn, that is really the best pits photo I've ever seen. How did you time it? Did you get it on the first shot? The Kalitta's really have that warmup figured out, they pull it out from underneath the canopy and let everyone get as close as they can. What a way to get the fans onboard!

Shawn, that is really the best pits photo I've ever seen. How did you time it? Did you get it on the first shot? The Kalitta's really have that warmup figured out, they pull it out from underneath the canopy and let everyone get as close as they can. What a way to get the fans onboard!

I didn't take the picture. Lisa Edmonson did, she deserves the credit, I'm just good at copying and pasting. Great sequence of the warm up here NitroStitch : photos : Gatornationals 2008 - Monday Testing- powered by SmugMug

[I don`t really mean to be rude like you. But I would suggest you vent in your own company.QUOTE=Nick Dobda;204791]These are observations. Nitromethane and methanol exhaust is noxious. This is why your eyes water and lungs burn, it't not meant to be inhaled. These engines are loud... not using ear protection will cause ear damage.

My appologies to those who fit the stereotype and are not unreasonable - there is a majority of cool humans that have the above qualities I mentioned before that are reasonable people. Maybe it was just coincidence that the only people I've seen at the ropes with their ears uncovered inhaling nitro fumes looked like that.

If they're warming up you will find me holding my ears, and if I'm enveloped in a nitro cloud, I will move to fresh air. You wont find me with tinnitus or nitric acid in my lungs when I'm older though.

Observations... Ok your right, it wasnt the point of my post to judge people, I really am sorry for that.. but there are some people that do bug me at events. Those people who stand during a run are one of them. Those people who smoke cigarettes non stop during an event in the middle of the crowd are the other. I assume that the guy who stands at the ropes during a warmup with no ear protection inhaling nitro fumes is probably the same guy lacking the good judgement to realize that there are other people at the event who didn't come to the race to watch his back or get smoked out. I was just venting, sorry to all who were offended.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly we don't have many nitro cars down here in new zealand . But on the topic of people not wearing ear or nose protection all depends on an individuals ability to handle what ever that is . Some people just can't physically for whatever reason handle fumes and some can , just like some people can handle the noise and some cant . I don't deny the damage that can be caused though , I may be 20 but my lungs are shot anyway so that doesnt bother me , but I can deffinitly say my hearing has deffinitly been effected , though I blame that on standing too close to blown grand prix hydroplanes .

Last edited:
Actually on the topic of noise damage , here in wanganui new zealand , every year they have a boat race on the local river . I allways go and watch and when the big grand prix hydro's run their motors in the pits I didn't need air protection it didn't overly bother me . But there was a little boat with a carbed small block chev in it with just some headers and for some odd reason I had to block my ears if I was near that boat , I don't why I guess maybe just the frequency or something was having an effect on my ears .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back