Bernstein warm ups (2 Viewers)

bottom end

Nitro Member
We were pitted next to them this weekend and got to watch a few of their warm ups, and damn do they whack the throttle hard...twice.

It's very entertaining to watch the crowd of people simultaniously flinch every time :D

Even with three guys hanging on the back of the car it still looks like it's going to jump off the Pro Jacks when they whack it, that's wicked.

Sometimes I wish we would include seating the clutch as a part of our warm up...

We were pitted next to them this weekend and got to watch a few of their warm ups, and damn do they whack the throttle hard...twice.

It's very entertaining to watch the crowd of people simultaniously flinch every time :D

Even with three guys hanging on the back of the car it still looks like it's going to jump off the Pro Jacks when they whack it, that's wicked.

Sometimes I wish we would include seating the clutch as a part of our warm up...

I wish you guys would too Mike.

That's Donnie Bender and Todd Smith for ya. You'll like this video Mike...

Spencer Massey - US Smokeless Top Fuel reving in pits - YouTube

Got to love the three whacks and the flames standing above the wing. :)

Pause at 2:25 ;)

Even with three guys hanging on the back of the car it still looks like it's going to jump off the Pro Jacks when they whack it

Back in 06 at the finals in Pomona I was watching JR Todd do his warm up. When he whacked it the car came off the jacks, luckily nothing bad happened.

P1010209.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't the jacks connected to the chassis/frame rails now to prevent that from happening?

Every time I ever took someone new to an event, I always made sure they were close by when someone whacked the throttle during warm ups. It is the ultimate way to add nitro to someone's bloodsteam. Literally and figuratively! Where's the boned up smilie when you need it? :D

Our pro-jacks have a cradle the front of the car sits on, and the back is pinned.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The back sits in a cradle and a pin goes across the top of the frame rail, right? And the front tires coming off the jacks, as bad as it could be, normally wouldn't be as bad as the rear tires coming off the jacks.

Aren't the jacks connected to the chassis/frame rails now to prevent that from happening?

Our rear jack is pinned to the chassis but the front is just resting in perches.

A while back Wayne Dupuy was working with us, and he would seat it.
I remember once it came off the front perches but didn't fall off thankfully.
The rear jack moved about 4-5 inches over too.

Not sure how the dragsters do it but I would imagine they're pinned in back as well.

Mike , Why don't you guys seat the clutch ? Is it a money thing , ? Does it wear on parts more ? I know different C/Cheifs have different methods, but
why not seat the clutch ? And how much heat does it actually add , buy the time you get through sea of people, sit through a couple of oil downs, isnt it cooled off anyway ?

Mike , Why don't you guys seat the clutch ? Is it a money thing , ? Does it wear on parts more ? I know different C/Cheifs have different methods, but
why not seat the clutch ? And how much heat does it actually add , buy the time you get through sea of people, sit through a couple of oil downs, isnt it cooled off anyway ?

It's not a money thing, just a crew chief thing.
The clutch is set up to a specific clearance in the pit, and then wear is caluculated either by seating or by the burnout. One way or another, it's just a preferance.

You beat me too it Eug!
I can't believe that I beat you at anything.:eek: I wish you could have stayed until the finals Mike. We were standing on the starting line next to Tony Stewart. Now how cool is that?:cool: That was also cool when you brought the producer of "pass time" over to the trailer. I hope you have fun on the show next week. But I don't know how you are going to guess all the numbers while looking at Paige Simpson. We are going to take the hauler back to Chicago Wed night, and fly to California Thurs. Cya buddy:)

Last edited:
I've been told another reason why a lot of the teams like the Kalitta's stopped with the whacking of the throttle, is it takes around two less runs off the crank. Like Mike said, it is a preference thing. One of my friends sometimes will whack it, other times they won't. I mean, you don't have to do it, but personally I think it should be mandatory ;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back