Vandergriff Shuts Down Team and Retires (1 Viewer)

You have to do what you have to do, but this is a huge blow to the NHRA IMO. And it goes beyond losing 2 full-time cars (which is huge) but losing Bob hurts, we need more guys like him in the sport. I always admired his ability to bring in new partners. I wish him and everyone involved the best.

Very bad news for the sport. Looks like we're in for a lot of short fields in Top Fuel this year.

tough decision to make and even tougher for all the employees affected......perhaps the teams or at least a team will not be sidelined permanently. i can think of a few scenarios.

Not sure of the deal but Leah came with a sponsor, I would think she would be able to take that to another team and continue. Dave may be in a harder spot.

You do what you have to I guess, but the immediate closings always bother me as wrong. Hopefully employees were aware of this coming so that they could be planning ahead.

Doesn't Dixon have his own stuff? Maybe he could pull Leah in for a few races. I think the Quaker State deal was only for five races if I recall correctly.

I think this whole deal is VERY strange. After 20 years in racing, it's time to quit to spend more family time? Racing is very demanding and takes a lot of time from our families, that's for sure. BUT the timing of this
is very suspicious. With the death of Josh Comstock,isn't is possible that the company management doesn't have the interest in spending millions on drag racing? Maybe the death of Rob's good friend Josh Comstock
really did bother him enough to want to quit, I don't know. But what a shame for all the people that are suddenly left high and dry without a job because suddenly the team owner wants to spend more time with his family?
I think what really happened is the company cut off the funding because it's pretty damn inconsiderate to all those people on the team and the two drivers to can them right in the midst of the season!

That's not funny.E="Mike Tillery, post: 354291, member: 9031"]Doesn't Dixon have his own stuff? Maybe he could pull Leah in for a few races. I think the Quaker State deal was only for five races if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]
Thats
Doesn't Dixon have his own stuff? Maybe he could pull Leah in for a few races. I think the Quaker State deal was only for five races if I recall correctly.
Assuming you're joking... That's not funny.

I think this whole deal is VERY strange. After 20 years in racing, it's time to quit to spend more family time? Racing is very demanding and takes a lot of time from our families, that's for sure. BUT the timing of this
is very suspicious. With the death of Josh Comstock,isn't is possible that the company management doesn't have the interest in spending millions on drag racing? Maybe the death of Rob's good friend Josh Comstock
really did bother him enough to want to quit, I don't know. But what a shame for all the people that are suddenly left high and dry without a job because suddenly the team owner wants to spend more time with his family?
I think what really happened is the company cut off the funding because it's pretty damn inconsiderate to all those people on the team and the two drivers to can them right in the midst of the season!
You mean these press releases arent accurate?

I think a very large reason for his retiring is C&J Energy. Comstock was the man behind C&J's sponsorship, he loved drag racing. With his unfortunate death there was no reason for the continued sponsorship. The downturn in the oil business has drastically reduced C&J's income and they are on the verge of having large losses this year and that was probably the reason the sponsorship was reduced to one car and very possibly ending the sponsorship entirely. The oil industry support companies are working on a day to day schedule so a immediate stop of sponsoring his car would not be surprising. It is unfortunate for all the people working for BVR and they probably had no idea of this happening and now their lives have changed over nite. Hope they are able to find work with other teams.
Even though Vandergrift could run the car out of his own pocket it sounds like he is smart enough to realize that is not profitable.

Simple. Funds dried up.
Maybe it was a mutual agreement where C&J asked to be released from the contract and Vandergriff obliged, and used the retirement to save face (kind of like when an employee leaves to "pursue other opportunities"). Hope the drivers and employees find employment soon.

Maybe it was a mutual agreement where C&J asked to be released from the contract and Vandergriff obliged, and used the retirement to save face (kind of like when an employee leaves to "pursue other opportunities"). Hope the drivers and employees find employment soon.

Yup; that's what I said.

Yup; that's what I said.

Yeah I had more typed in there and then removed it. To sum, it's kind of shocking the precarious position some team owners are in that they would take a contract on a race-by-race basis (as in having to shut down an operation immediately). Hopefully if Leah's contract is with QS it offers her some protection.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back