Prudhomme Annouces Retirement (1 Viewer)

More Hot Wheels:
Snake44.jpg

If I remember correctly, these dragsters weren't exactly amongst the Snake's favorites. Ill handling, or something like that. I saw that in a "reader's request" issue of ND.

Anybody notice that fitting hanging down in front of the slick? Think that's to drain the oil without removing body panels??

Last edited:
Actually David, there's a good story on those dragsters in the new "Rivelry" book on the Snake and Mongoose. The dragsters were designed by Hot Wheels for their new "Dragster Wheelie Set" in 1971. Both Snake and McEwen thought those slab sides were ugly as hell, but they said that the money that they were getting from Mattel was too good to turn it away. They both used their 1970 dragster chassis' and added the body work. They ran decent, but were parked after a few months for new rear engine cars.
2-Mongoose%5B1%5D.jpg

dims_qpprudhommewedgea.jpg

yellowfeather.jpg

Sorry for the condition of the photos they are old . My dad took these in I think 70-71 here in New Zealand when it was on a promotional tour for Wynns .

WynnsWinder.jpg

If I remember correctly, these dragsters weren't exactly amongst the Snake's favorites. Ill handling, or something like that. I saw that in a "reader's request" issue of ND.

Anybody notice that fitting hanging down in front of the slick? Think that's to drain the oil without removing body panels??

I'm thinking it's for water not oil. Note the pieces bolted to the front face of the heads to put water in. By dumping the water on the return road, it kept the pit dry.

Last edited:
To me it doesn't matter why Snake's retiring, just that he is.

As has been said many times throughout this thread:

1. Snake exudes 'cool' like nobody else.
2. He was one bad hombre in his hey-day.
3. He did one helluva job picking drivers once he decided to stop driving himself.
4. But most of all, he's earned everything he's ever had and I wish him nothing but happiness and relaxation in his retirement - He will be missed.

P.S. Someone said they thought Spencer was the best driver out there, and in terms of his tree savvy that may be true, but unfortunately it doesn't guarantee a ride next season. JR Todd is a damn fine shoe, and proved himself with arguably less equipment, and he's spent quite a while on the sidelines. I sincerely hope Spencer gets a ride, but there are no guarantees.

3. He did one helluva job picking drivers once he decided to stop driving himself.
4. But most of all, he's earned everything he's ever had and I wish him nothing but happiness and relaxation in his retirement - He will be missed.

P.S. Someone said they thought Spencer was the best driver out there, and in terms of his tree savvy that may be true, but unfortunately it doesn't guarantee a ride next season. JR Todd is a damn fine shoe, and proved himself with arguably less equipment, and he's spent quite a while on the sidelines. I sincerely hope Spencer gets a ride, but there are no guarantees.

You are absolutely correct on both counts regarding Spencer. He is a superb driver and any team really wanting to give themselves the best oppurtunity to win should hire him immediately. Unfortunately, that is not the way it works.....
Dave Connolly is another example of a great driver with no ride. :confused:

You are absolutely correct on both counts regarding Spencer. He is a superb driver and any team really wanting to give themselves the best oppurtunity to win should hire him immediately. Unfortunately, that is not the way it works.....

I agree, Mel, Spencer and Dave are just two extremely talented drivers without rides - if we started listing them, it could take a while. I wish 'em all luck finding something.

Great point Mel. Its kind of sad nowadays, but you are seeing more and more drivers being picked strictly based on how much $$ they can bring with them. That said, I hope Spencer can find a good ride (his ride last year will be a tough act to follow) as well as JR. Both are great drivers, and both are very nice when I talked to them at the track.

Thanks to everyone that is pulling for Spencer to get a ride for 2010.
Someone said they thought Spencer was the best driver out there.
I do think he is the best driver out there. Look at what he did in 2009. As everyone knows Spencer Massey is aand will a part of NHRA's future either way.
We will all miss the Snake.
Thanks for 2009 Snake.

Here is my one, brief story about Prudhomme as a kid growing up. It was a long time-ago, so I only remember a few details.

Growing up in the San Fernando Valley had certain perks during a special time when racers were a tight knit group who grew up together in the same neighborhood. It was the early 70's during Frank Hazar's 75th birthday party/picnic; Frank was a chassis builder under the name Race Car Specialties (RCS) that had a shop next door to my dad's. I couldn't have been more than ten years-old at the time. When it came time to play softball the teams were split up and Don was the pitcher on the other team. When I finally got my turn to bat, (back then there were like 20 players on a team) Don looked at me a decided to take a few steps closer to the plate. Others started heckling him as I took some practice swings, "I would get too close, he looks serious," they would say. Trying not to make it too hard for me, he held the ball out in front of him as if to coax me to hit the ball. Little did he know that I have always had good hand-eye coordination and as he slowly pitched the ball to me with while crouching forward, I hit it square right back at his head as hard as I could. Luckily he got his glove up before the ball nailed him in the forehead. I don't know who was more shocked, him or me, but I don't think I ever took a step towards first base. Laughs ensued.

Even though I have only spoken to Don a few times in my life, at one point he had his shop down the street from VHS's current location in Northridge, I have always admired him and followed his career closely. To me no one will ever come close to him when it comes to being what a drag racing champion should be. Don is simply the best there was and always will be.

I hope you enjoy your retirement Don, you've earned it. The drag racing world owes you a debt of gratitude for helping make it what it is today.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back