Lee Beard Retires (1 Viewer)

55 career wins with 12 different drivers. Crazy! He'll be back with a 13th, I bet

*Congratulations to legendary NHRA Top Fuel crew Chief/Tuner **Lee Beard** on the word of his retirement. My mentors Jim "The Lizard" Herbert & Chris Raynor always spoke highly of lee as they worked together while Lee worked for Gary Ormsby. Lee loves fishing-so when he says 'gone fishing' he means it-great career Lee :):)

Last edited:
Curious to see what the press release says. I have a feeling Lee will be back some day if the right situation comes along.

Funny how after Torrence didn't qualify, Beard retired.
Maybe, your fired you can't fire me. I just retired?

I'll have a cold one with My old friend and toast his career...........Then we will cackel the dragster.

Now don't forget Lee owned and drove for years before He became the prolific tuner He has been known as the past few decades.

Did you know He drove the Green Elephant Vega F/C for Jim Green.

We hung out way back in the late 70's match race era before it all became a TV show as well.

Only 2 races left in the season, even though these aren't the results they wanted it still seems odd to walk away now.

He'll be back.

Maybe Beard will be back as an owner, with his son (can't remember his name or age) as a driver. Start in A/Fuel, take their time and move up to Pro when ready.

Did Lee Beard, ever have as long a tenure with a team as he did with Gary Ormsby. I hope he has a great retirement.

.02 guess is both parties saw an opportunity to contend for a title, including the expense of a second car
and it just hasn't gone their way.....i can understand the breakup, what a tough (and expensive) game to play.
in final @ indy, then all 1st rnd. losses + dnq @ reading....tough deal.
assuming bender still in mix for last two races?....with one car? or two?

Last edited:
Is that 2 or 3 crew chiefs for Steve Torrance this year...shades of Morgan Lucas a few years ago. My guess is Torrance is a bit imature and spoiled and Beard just got tired of his scat. Probably a mutual decision brought on by the fear Beard might beat the crap out of Steve Torrance.

I don't think Lee would be beating up anyone over there... Steve is a black belt, I see it more either Steve or Billy in his face with Lee backing in a corner saying "don't you f!*@ing touch me, don't you f!*@ing touch me..." Remember the Force confrontation? :)

-Mark

I don't think Lee would be beating up anyone over there... Steve is a black belt, I see it more either Steve or Billy in his face with Lee backing in a corner saying "don't you f!*@ing touch me, don't you f!*@ing touch me..." Remember the Force confrontation? :)

-Mark

Your probably right but a torque wrench applied properly to the side of a human skull speaks loudly. Actually I'm not a fan of either but you have to respect what Beard had accomplished in his career.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back