tune up variables? (1 Viewer)

Doug in the woods

Nitro Member
just how many variables are there in a fuel car tune up?
clutch timer settings, pully sizes, head gasket thickness, fuel injector sizes, ignition advance/retard.
tire pressures the same each run?
clutch spacing same each run?
amount of nitro each run = same.
reason I am asking is has anyone come up with a computer program that gives the crew chief a ballpark estimate of expected et?
yes they have computer data readouts but a computer program that one could enter all the different variables into a computer (weather conditions, pulley sizes, ignition timing etc.) and the computer computes an estimated et as per inputted variables.
one inputs what the car settings are as well as weather data and actual et the car runs.
the crew chief then changes the variables to determine expected et for the next run.
the computer takes into account the actual track conditions by considering the et entered.
If someone invented such a computer program, the the cost of racing could be lowered perhaps?
just thinking aloud

Where would the fun be in that?? ;)

Spoken like someone that remembers when teams would pull up to the lanes with fingers crossed and hopes high based on their knowledge of what makes the car go fast...

I think it would be tough to make a computer program just because of all the different tracks. Some have different bumps at certain spots etc.

clutch timer settings, pully sizes, head gasket thickness, fuel injector sizes, ignition advance/retard.
reason I am asking is has anyone come up with a computer program that gives the crew chief a ballpark estimate of expected et?
yes they have computer data readouts but a computer program that one could enter all the different variables into a computer (weather conditions, pulley sizes, ignition timing etc.) and the computer computes an estimated et as per inputted variables.
one inputs what the car settings are as well as weather data and actual et the car runs.
the crew chief then changes the variables to determine expected et for the next run.
the computer takes into account the actual track conditions by considering the et entered.
If someone invented such a computer program, the the cost of racing could be lowered perhaps?
just thinking aloud

Crew Chief Pro does a bunch of this, and I know several of the fuel teams use it. It's not doing all of it, but it sure does the weather adjustments, and in combination with RacePak data, you can get most of the way there...

VERY interesting article!! Almost goes to show you with the right numbers you can figure out anything....

Great article, that part about Glidden was awesome!

I guess the data was pretty well on the money.

I've used a few of the programs, but haven't in a long time. Desktop Dyno was decent - I never trusted the actual numbers, but took more into account what modifications would provide gains, and which ones would not.

just thinking aloud

We have a program that factors weather conditions, cylinder head CC's and nitro %. With those numbers we can come up with a head gasket number and overdrive percentage. We've been mapping what water grains we get at each race, so we can come up with a suggested amount of ignition lead.

I know some teams have chart for the amount of counter weight they want on the clutch.

One big variable you can't tune or predict...driver. :D:eek:

Jim - I think you can "tune" the driver! Stage deep or shallow, line up in the optimum spot for traction and drive it into the groove. Can most drivers do exactly what the crew chief instructs every run? Certainly not.
Obviously, there is one team that has come very close - I doubt we will ever see a partnership like this again.

Chuck Worsham once told me that what you do 5 minutes before you run accounts for 95% of its success!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back