tune-up data (1 Viewer)

Bobby

Nitro Member
since there's so much controversy over who owns run logs data etc , i start wondering: with all this data recorded over the years, wouldn't it be possible one day to actually have enough accumulated over the years to sell it as a program - plug and play. who needs a crew chief anymore.
if they go back and say well this is what we did last time under these conditions lets do it again . it should work right.

is this possible? how much of tuning is experience and intuition, and how much is just crunching old numbers?

How much have the cars changed in that time period? Set back blower, new tires, chassis heat treating, any number of things. Just not sure how relavent that old data would be? I dunno. Just asking.

How much have the cars changed in that time period? Set back blower, new tires, chassis heat treating, any number of things. Just not sure how relavent that old data would be? I dunno. Just asking.

I thought that might be a response I would get. I 'd love to read some more ideas on this.

I used to hear that there were a lot of different approaches to running a particular number. I do remember that just before Dick Lahaie had his dominance as a paid tuner, there was something written that indicated he was doing testing with more torque (which had me guessing longer stroke). I do wonder if the tuneups have gravitated to being closer together nowadays.

You have to wonder if a consistent winner usually has a better tuneup, or is just doing a better job of applying the tuneup via better judging/guessing of what the track will take, LOL. I'm still skeptical that you're going to walk the track, kick it with your shoes, and really know that much after four or six pairs of cars go down it.

Last edited:
Not all fuel cars do not run the same parts. There are a lot of diff combo..so the tune up will be diff. chassic are diff. everyone asumes that these cars are the same .not true. when allen johnson went to the army car. spend xxxx money to put what combo of parts on the car that he wanted. all crew chlefs have what they know will work with what parts. I help work part time on a fuel car and have seen them try tune ups that work on other car. and did not work on ours.

The crew chief's job is being over simplifyed here. He has to take data from current runs at an event and make minute changes as the engine is rebuilt after qualifying or between rounds that cannot be changed once the car is reassembled. Compression ratio, jetting at the hat, the manifold and in the heads are just a start.
IF he gets this right, adjustments can be made to timing, clutch engagement and fuel curve until moments before a run.
There are only so many people who can do this, keep the crew and driver motivated and answer to team owner. Somebody is going to lose a highly rated (and paid) person to KB's new FC team and possibly to the new Matco/Powers TF. Add in possible concerns about who owns a tuneup, the possiblity of older crew chiefs retiring and this is gonna be VERY interesting!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back