What happens when a crew chief leaves? (1 Viewer)

ZWeinstein

Nitro Member
One thing I have always wondered when a crew chief leaves a team whether it is a mutual decision or if one is "shown the door" what happens to all of the data whether it is computer info, tuning data, logbooks etc. Who owns the proprietary data, the team or the tuner?

Also when a new crew chief shows up for work do they generally use everything the team currently uses, mainly parts and pieces wise, or do they come in and load the shelves so to speak with parts and pieces they are comfortable with?

I can give you the definitive answer to that question.

It depends.

Who made the decision? Was it mutual? When was it made? Are there bad feelings? What did the contract state? Who is leaving? Who is coming in? What's the team inventory? What's the team's budget?

Every example is different.

Alan

One thing I have always wondered when a crew chief leaves a team whether it is a mutual decision or if one is "shown the door" what happens to all of the data whether it is computer info, tuning data, logbooks etc. Who owns the proprietary data, the team or the tuner?

Also when a new crew chief shows up for work do they generally use everything the team currently uses, mainly parts and pieces wise, or do they come in and load the shelves so to speak with parts and pieces they are comfortable with?
Very good questions id like to know as well. To add another question or two,if the team has a very late night at the raves does the crew chief have to stay as well? Does the cc have to share hotel rokms like the rest of the crew? Or do they get their on suite? Lol

Very good questions id like to know as well. To add another question or two,if the team has a very late night at the raves does the crew chief have to stay as well? Does the cc have to share hotel rokms like the rest of the crew? Or do they get their on suite? Lol
Refer to Alan's post above: Pretty much depends on the situation. Every team is different, so you'll see many different scenarios.

I would say that the really great crew chiefs get whatever they want!😁

Most of the big team crew chiefs fly into the races on a commercial flight and pick up a rental car and stay in a room of their own unless your name is Alan Johnson, Connie Kalitta, or Jim Head and then you fly in on your own plane. Most of the big team crew chiefs arrive at the track on Thursday. The hauler drivers and the crew that are in the support vehicles usually arrive at the track on Tues or Wed depending on the race and when they are allowed to park. NHRA has to get there and measure out and mark the pit spots before the pro teams can park. If the teams are not going back to the shop before the next race, then some of them will service the car on Mon and then load up the hauler and then head out early Tuesday morning and then park the hauler in stacking and go check into the hotel. Then on Wed they might rent a boat or go do something else fun for the day and then park and setup on Thursday morning. You might be surprised at how fast the big teams can set up their pit and unload and have the car up on the jack stands. "Disclaimer" some of those routines could have changed since the last time I was at a track 2 years ago.:)

Last edited:

Related, and maybe easier-to-answer question: Does everyone employed by the team owner have to sign a nondisclosure agreement (NDA)?

In the past there have been lawsuits filed over ownership of the data. When AJ left Salinas, Salinas kept the run data. Thats not to say AJ has it also. Years ago when AJ took over Shumacher TF car he immediately put his parts on it as is his practice wherever he goes. In the middle of a season like in the case of Kloeber/Jim O I would think any changes to parts would be minor right away. Rahn Tobler was famous for using his own barrel valve on any car he tuned. It really depends on the situation.

In the past there have been lawsuits filed over ownership of the data. When AJ left Salinas, Salinas kept the run data. Thats not to say AJ has it also. Years ago when AJ took over Shumacher TF car he immediately put his parts on it as is his practice wherever he goes. In the middle of a season like in the case of Kloeber/Jim O I would think any changes to parts would be minor right away. Rahn Tobler was famous for using his own barrel valve on any car he tuned. It really depends on the situation.
Im sure salinas just didnt get to keep it$$$$$$

AJ used to be such a dominant tuner, and now others have caught up in the last decade. Is that because he's been with so many teams that his "speed secrets" aren't secrets anymore?

AJ used to be such a dominant tuner, and now others have caught up in the last decade. Is that because he's been with so many teams that his "speed secrets" aren't secrets anymore?
I just think with limitations on new development, it's harder to gain any kind of big edge over the competition.

I just think with limitations on new development, it's harder to gain any kind of big edge over the competition.
And many are using AJP parts. Might be his parts had a lot to do in making the advantage in performance.

I can give you the definitive answer to that question.

It depends.

Who made the decision? Was it mutual? When was it made? Are there bad feelings? What did the contract state? Who is leaving? Who is coming in? What's the team inventory? What's the team's budget?

Every example is different.

Alan
don't forget...who owns the tune-up notes

Trying to figure out who owns the Rights to Intellectual property is not always easy, and then defending yourself is court costs a great deal of money and time.
All of this takes place before trying to figure out how you were damaged, and then what the costs of the monetary damages will be.

Jim Hill

Trying to figure out who owns the Rights to Intellectual property is not always easy, and then defending yourself is court costs a great deal of money and time.
All of this takes place before trying to figure out how you were damaged, and then what the costs of the monetary damages will be.

Jim Hill
That’s a great point too. Even if you gave, say 5 different cars and 5 different accomplished, experienced crew chiefs/crews the identical top-tier parts and pieces - would each of the 5 cars perform exactly the same? Likely not. Once human factors come in, and the go faster mentality - the equations start getting mucked up.

Syskey or password protect the computer where the information is stored if you, as the crew chief, are concerned.

Many years ago a team was purchased along with the crew chief. A few races in the new owners showed the crew chief the door. All his notes and data were kept by the new team owner who claimed they paid for everything including the crew chief's briefcase. The crew chief wasn't amused, and I was told lawsuits followed. I never heard the final outcome.

As the old saying goes, the pits are small. If you screw someone out of something in drag racing, no matter what it was, the word gets out. You have a reputation, and it's ultimately up to you what that reputation is. If a crew chief gets shown the door (which happens a lot) and it's later found out the parting wasn't too friendly to one side or the other, this will be known in no time. Finding a new crew chief or finding a new team to work for may be more difficult. You make your own bed, and everyone now days knows it.

It's best just to shake hands on both sides, don't screw anyone, smile, not take it personally, and move on.

Last edited:
Syskey or password protect the computer where the information is stored if you, as the crew chief, are concerned.

Many years ago a team was purchased along with the crew chief. A few races in the new owners showed the crew chief the door. All his notes and data were kept by the new team owner who claimed they paid for everything including the crew chief's briefcase. The crew chief wasn't amused, and I was told lawsuits followed. I never heard the final outcome.

As the old saying goes, the pits are small. If you screw someone out of something in drag racing, no matter what it was, the word gets out. You have a reputation, and it's ultimately up to you what that reputation is. If a crew chief gets shown the door (which happens a lot) and it's later found out the parting wasn't too friendly to one side or the other, this will be known in no time. Finding a new crew chief or finding a new team to work for may be more difficult. You make your own bed, and everyone now days knows it.

It's best just to shake hands on both sides, don't screw anyone, smile, not take it personally, and move on.
I guess drag racing is like marriage, you need a prenuptial agreement now.

That’s a great point too. Even if you gave, say 5 different cars and 5 different accomplished, experienced crew chiefs/crews the identical top-tier parts and pieces - would each of the 5 cars perform exactly the same? Likely not. Once human factors come in, and the go faster mentality - the equations start getting mucked up.
You could give 1 crew chief 5 cars that are exactly the same and they still probably won't perform the same. Every chassis has its own characteristics.

oh I remember that one. I believe it was in TF...there are many other examples of the same issue across many classes. Best reason for contractual language to spell it out.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back