This isn't a TA/FC message board, but what do you guys think of this? Am I an IDIOT? (1 Viewer)

Randy

Nitro Member
Since I quit and sold everything I posted this on Insidetopalcohol.com:

5.50's TA/FC data for sale

Now that I have quit and sold everything I'm not sure what to do with all the information I have so I'll try something no one else has ever done, because many of you are smart enough to figure it out from there. And getting there is half the battle...

We ran multiple 5.50's in various conditions in my TA/FC. Our most recent win was the 2012 Winternationals where we ran 5.52 and 5.53 in eliminations in over 2,100 feet corrected altitude which translates into 5.40's in 1,000' air. Runs that were basically equal to the quickest runs posted by Tony Bartone and Jay Payne that weekend, and we won the race.

I will copy four of our best 5.50's runs including these two runs straight off my Racepak computer program on a CD and send it to you. I'll also include my run log sheets for each run. You will have our flow meter readings, CC's per turn, clutch settings, (counterweight and static), engine/driveshaft, gear ratios, what the fuel system timers were doing, what was going on with ignition timing, cylinder temps, blower boost, etc., etc. Some over the phone consultation is available, too. These runs were done using BAE 6 heads.

It's not going to be cheap, but neither is racing 2-3-4-5 years trying to find out what it takes to run this fast. And we did it without hurting parts.

$2,500 includes your own CD, run log sheets, phone explainations and questions answered. Just remember, some of the miracle tuners charge more than that for one weekend, don't let you know what they are doing and you didn't run 5.50's. You're capable of doing it yourself with a little guidance.

You can email me at [email protected] or call 818-632-5549

A lot of hard work and money went into developing this tune-up because no one was giving it away. My (former) crew thinks I'm nuts for doing it. I don't ever see me coming back so why not?!!!

What do you think?:D

Last edited:
Re: This isn't a TA/FC message board, but what do you guys think of this? Am I an IDI

You are providing a service, Randy. Services require compensation. Pretty simple and a no brainer especially if you never intend to race again. Just my .02...............

Re: This isn't a TA/FC message board, but what do you guys think of this? Am I an IDI

might make more long term money if you wrote a book about racing TA/FC and included some of the secrets to running those numbers

I'd buy one :D

Has nothing to do with the tune up but yes:D:D:eek::p

[QUOTE=Randy Goodwin;317003

A lot of hard work and money went into developing this tune-up because no one was giving it away. My (former) crew thinks I'm nuts for doing it. I don't ever see me coming back so why not?!!!

What do you think?:D

Time to build a N/FC and come run with all your old friends!

Pardon my idiotness ... But what does whether or not you ever race again have to do with anything? If you are willing to sell your tuneup, that is your prerogative. You know you could come back and race against and get beat by your old tuneup ... And if it is information that could help out another team or teams ... Who cares? To me it is not much different than your old crew chief taking your log book to another team (whether or not you are still racing) other than you have the potential to get a few bucks out of it. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. :D

Also, I would be interested in the factors that led you to pack it in, if you are open to discussing that here. If not, I understand.

EDIT: $2500 seems cheap to me now that I think about it, particularly if some is running a similar combo to yours.

Last edited:

We run Top Dragster and I've melted WAY more than $2500 in pistons and parts in a VERY short time getting my nitrous tune-up fast and not hurting parts. Everyone has the "you should run this and that" advice without all the other data and experience with a particular combo to back it up. When I was just getting started with nitrous stuff I would have gladly paid $2500 to have someone provide all that data and get me close with a little advice. I would think alcohol guys would chomping at the bit for your service.

Why would your former crew chief think you were crazy if it helped you sell your Operation?

Pardon my idiotness ... But what does whether or not you ever race again have to do with anything? If you are willing to sell your tuneup, that is your prerogative.

That's pretty much what I thought about it, Chris. Doesn't really matter, regardless of your intention of returning.

Sean D

The only thing I would be worried about, is the guy that has an issue not related to the tune up. I know you would have a list of disclaimers, but.......

Let's say there is bad maintenance/prep/assembly, or just plain old bad luck, and they kick the rods or knock the blower off on the first pass. They will be all over the place pointing their finger at you even if the information they have is spot on.

Just my .02 :D

Randy, sorry to hear you are getting out. You are a smart guy...I bet you could get a pretty penny being a consultant for a lot of different teams.

Good luck going foward....

The only thing I would be worried about, is the guy that has an issue not related to the tune up. I know you would have a list of disclaimers, but.......

Let's say there is bad maintenance/prep/assembly, or just plain old bad luck, and they kick the rods or knock the blower off on the first pass. They will be all over the place pointing their finger at you even if the information they have is spot on.

Just my .02 :D

WOW! Lots of great comments, except I'm not sure what Nancy was trying to say!

To answer some questions...

I've been racing since 1971 and I've been very fortunate in getting a lot of help in racing all these years. I started TA/FC when I got my license in 1990 on a very small budget and continued to race on a small budget.

I had some goals in doing this and winning the Winternationals was the big one. Over the years we won division races, the division 7 championship (1999), and what I would call a "B" national event like when we won the Las Vegas nationals a few years ago, but Pomona was #1 for me. Like Ken Veney told Todd, I would rather win the Winternationals than Indy because that was the first event I ever attended.

To answer Joe's question, I made all the decisions with the support of my team. We didn't have a "crew chief," so if it screwed up I could only blame the guy in the mirror.:D Guys like Brad Anderson, Les Davenport, Fred Mandoline and Norm Grimes were much appreciated mentors early on. Doing the decisions ourselves was helpfull in that if you lost your way, at least you knew where you came from because YOU put it there. And YOU yourself should be able to fix it.

To answer Paul's question, there are no disclaimers. What you get is a full on look at what these low 5.50's runs look like on your computer. You can overlay the runs on your computer to see how the numbers compare with your best runs to see where improvements need to be made. You will know what we were doing at each point on the run and why we might be quicker than you (or vis-versa) in certain areas. No more guessing.

If car prep is an issue, then that racer needs more than data. I am offering data to the guys who are smart, have reasonably good equipment and just need guidance. This info could move someone the right direction and beyond as it would expand their thinking in every area, because I can guarantee you the information they will see will surprise them.

I think of how many times you walk into a competitor's pit area and how quickly the computer screen gets switched off. Especially if that person runs faster than you. Imagine not only getting a look at the screen, but owning the data and log sheets!

To answer Chris's question, I never wanted to have to race against my own tune up. It's hard enough to win a race with all the good cars out there. I thought about that when I saw Vincent Nobile beat Allen Johnson in the second round at Seattle. Allen (and dad Roy) got beat by their own tune up.

Bill makes a great point. And we did the same thing (melting pistons) early on. One mistake and ka-boom! And ka-booms in TA/FC are typically a minimum $10,000 bill.

JR...thanks.

Randy

Last edited:

Randy, if you do get some takers, I would love to hear about it and their progress if any was obtained. If I had a blown alky car right now I'd give you a call...lol

You're a class act, Randy. Sorry to hear you're leaving racing.

Sounds reasonable to me. It's $1500 for a pro mod nitrous motorcycle tuneup

Randy, in today's racing world, I think that is a very good deal. The last year I raced TAFC (1981) was for another owner who had a Tim Richards KB. Other racers were beginning to buy his combo for both TAD and TAFC. That included buying a engine and or parts to get the tune up. Brad was starting to outsource his sets ups too that year. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the combo/ tune-up purchase grew progressively since then. When I raced my own stuff (1978-80), Jerry Gwynn was a huge help to me, even though we raced against him (and later Darrell). Lucky for me its was free. $2500 in todays alky budget is better than the $10,000 plus mistake.

Randy, if you do get some takers, I would love to hear about it and their progress if any was obtained. If I had a blown alky car right now I'd give you a call...lol

Hi JR:

Those who purchased will remain anonymous unless they want to spill the beans. I'll respect their privacy. You don't have to have an alky FC to buy it!

Dave: Good points...and I think I remember???!!! Post up some pics!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back