Tony Shumachers next sponsor......... (1 Viewer)

Let’s not start bashing anyone. Racing is a business and sometimes you have to make hard decisions that affect a lot of people. I am sure it wasn’t an easy decision to make. Everyone here would make the same decision if the funds were not available. So put yourself in there shoes and have some compassion for the people who lost there jobs.

Wow. Tony Schumacher is one driver I never expected to have trouble getting sponsored.
If the team was let go, that doesn't sound like a sponsorship was even close to being finalized. You don't fire an entire team if you think there is even half a chance something will break soon.
I hate to hear that for everybody concerned. The timing couldn't be worse. Here it is Monday before the opening race. I would think all other teams have their personnel needs filled at this point.

QUOTE="Shannon Timm, post: 384786, member: 2, nickname: DixonFan"]Let’s not start bashing anyone. Racing is a business and sometimes you have to make hard decisions that affect a lot of people. I am sure it wasn’t an easy decision to make. Everyone here would make the same decision if the funds were not available. So put yourself in there shoes and have some compassion for the people who lost there jobs.[/QUOTE]
Wonder how that works,can they get unemployment? Or is this considered a seasonal job??

To bad they couldnt run a few and hope a sponsor would show up??
Only thing I can think of is that Don felt that the market for sponsors is so barren that it wasn't worth self-sponsoring for a few races with the hopes of something coming through. I do feel bad for the crew given we are four days from the start of the season. Not a good sign for NHRA when the two top dogs in fuel, JFR and DSR are both down a car. Not to mention the losses of full time Pro Stock racers although, at least for Pomona, the little guys have come through for PS.

Only thing I can think of is that Don felt that the market for sponsors is so barren that it wasn't worth self-sponsoring for a few races with the hopes of something coming through. I do feel bad for the crew given we are four days from the start of the season. Not a good sign for NHRA when the two top dogs in fuel, JFR and DSR are both down a car. Not to mention the losses of full time Pro Stock racers although, at least for Pomona, the little guys have come through for PS.
I hear ya. He is a successful businessman, im sure he knows what he is doing.

This sucks it has to be depressing for all. It reminds me of when my fav Johnny Benson won the truck championship and didn't have a ride the next year. Money ruins everything.

tshoe.PNG

BUMMER..... I DONT UNDERSTAND ALL THE COMPLEXITIES THAT GO INTO A SPONSORSHIP ....BUT I WOULD THINK SPONSORS WOULD BE THROWING MONEY AT THEM....STUPID ME...

In the old days the sponsorship would get you mentions in magazine articles....then live appearences at shows.....then TV......then online.......now all that plus instant info on social media

Today's sponsors should consider this "bang for the buck" when compared to how little they actually got back then.

One caveat....back in the 60's drag racing was big time.....now we fight for our place among all the new forms of motorsports

gone are the days of "The Gathering of the Eagles." that was the T/F cars that showed up thursdays at pomona for the first runs of the year. your butt got sore from sitting in the grandstands there was so many of them. i feel very special that i was there. for some 35 years. i live in oregon and i quit going to pomona years ago. what for? the 2nd largest NHRA event cant draw 16 T/F cars. can someone please tell me the last time we had 25 or more T/F cars at pomona? ......that was the days of "The Gathering of the Eagles" ...50 or more T/F cars at pomona in the days of old. what would this generation think of seeing that? arlie langlo with his zip code car should have entered. he would have got in leaving oil all the way down the track with this years T/F field. A/FD should be allowed to enter in T/F when less then 20 T/F cars show up at national events. that will get the attention of the slackers. T/F cars that cant out qualify a A/FD get sent home. that would eliminate 16 cars showing up as they cant make one pass and qualify with one 10 second half pass run, on someone elses set of new tires they can run for free. a top notch A/FD will give any slackers plenty of time to attend church on sunday!!! same with AA/FC. less then 20 cars show up, the consistency of alcohol funny cars would send some fuel floppers home saturday night. failed to qualify. you get 4 runs to get in. some teams do not run all 4 when 16 or 17 cars show up. they have no incentive to do so. the consistency of someone like joey severance will pressure the slackers to post a serious qualifying effort. if only 16 cars show up in AA/FC. the consistency of a good alcohol flopper will make at least one fail to qualify. and what excitement we would have on sunday. a alcohol car EARNS its way into first round of AA/FC!! add lady luck and it will make it a couple-few rounds!!! safe bet there would be some alcohol cars that would enter AA/FC with 17 or less cars in it. a first round win in AA/FC with a TA/FC would be like winning a wally for that team.

Last edited:
Sorry (and surprised) to see this get to this point. If Courtney did not leave Brittany would have also had sponsorship issues with Monster leaving. Wouldn't Mike Neff be under contract to DSR?

Alright already with the way it used to be shit......back in 1412 you had to use fuel to go fast with technology now a days there is alcohol cars running 270 pro mods running 260 there is people running 230 on freaking motorcycles..... yes if you want to run for championship cost a ton of dough it cost a lot to do any of it if fuel cars were the only way to go as fast as say alcohol or pro mod guess what there would still be 35 at most races cause racers are some of the smartest dumb people I know

I am not a DSR fan at all especially the Don. Regardless of my feelings Tony is a great champion and competitor and is needed in TF and NHRA. With that said I find it interesting that dad is willing to drop his son/car from his team when he has the vast resources - Schumacher Electric. He has used the company in the past but not willing to back his son. I don't know, maybe there is issue there.
Even though I am not a fan I hope to see him back in a car soon.
We know hard it is to get a sponsorship just have to look at how long Alan Johnson has not been able to put together his own team. JFR is having problems also. Seems Kallita is the only large team without sponsor problems but Connie is willing to put up his own money,same for Jim Head.

the super bowl ads this year cost 5.1 million for a 30 seconds
for a full racing season in top fuel which includes 24 races
plenty of exposure for ur brand and the chance to be the world champ
with a team that is already proven to be a contender and ready to go
imo shouldnt be more then 5.1 million (better ask Shoe about that )
how could that not be a win win for a brand that can afford to advertise
at the super bowl ? one less commercial =one full year to race hard
for the championship with ur name all over everything !! better make some calls lol

Kills me how some like to decide how others should spend their money. Yes Don has put his own company on some of his cars in the past, but there are a million factors that go into the financial aspect of these teams, and it’s their business. It’s not the end of the world, Tony lost a long running anchor partner. He’ll be back.

for the championship with ur name all over everything !! better make some calls lol
Actually the 5.1 million is just for the air time. You have to add production costs on top of that,and with some of those ads it probably doubles or triples the cost.

You do realize that even though the 2019 Super Bowl was the least watched Super Bowl in a decade, it still drew over 100 million viewers. Just take a minute to compare that to how many attendees and viewers there are for NHRA drag racing in an entire year......it's not even a drop in the bucket!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back