Tony Shumachers next sponsor......... (2 Viewers)

Oh I totally agree! But, the work is in selling it, like anything else. And F1? Lewis Hamilton could buy the entire NHRA off a couple seasons worth of salary. But that form of racing is a whole different world, an entirely different financial model that I don’t know enough about to explain. I do enjoy watching it.

The Army stated publicly many times that their sponsorship of Tony Schumacher and his Top Fuel dragster provided the biggest return out of any other program as far as recruitment is concerned. Tony, Don, and the crew put more butts in recruiters' seats for the money spent than any other investment, sponsorship, advertising, etc...

That's why they stayed for 20 years. Knowing how much millenials dont drive and how much less of an interest they have in things like motorsports, I wouldn't doubt that the Army seeing a decrease in ROI or whatever you'd call it and decided it was time to move on.

The Army stated publicly many times that their sponsorship of Tony Schumacher and his Top Fuel dragster provided the biggest return out of any other program as far as recruitment is concerned. Tony, Don, and the crew put more butts in recruiters' seats for the money spent than any other investment, sponsorship, advertising, etc...

That's why they stayed for 20 years. Knowing how much millenials dont drive and how much less of an interest they have in things like motorsports, I wouldn't doubt that the Army seeing a decrease in ROI or whatever you'd call it and decided it was time to move on.
Liberal democrats killed it !!!

This is true. But I think drag racing is still a bargin, compared to NASCAR and Indy Car. Not even gonna mention Formula One.
It's a bargain because of the sport's structure. On a good weekend, a major sponsor will see MINUTES of television time with NHRA's nitro categories; substantially less for any other Pro class. Take away those minutes if the team is a Round 1/2 loser.
Now compare to NASCAR and F1 and the exposure costs/ ROI is equal to screen time for up to 15 teams, and that exposure is substantially greater than it ever could be for a single elimination sport. JFR mastered the fine art of dominating the broadcast- usually at the expense of other teams in ALL categories. And yet, at this moment, JFR is nowhere near the juggernaut it was for possessing all the brass rings.

Tony will have a name on the car, and he will be a fantastic representative of their brand. Sadly, it won't be the same level as the monster sponsor he has represented for all these years.

idea: nhra asks every professional team for the following: supply (email) a 3:2 ratio .pdf file to nhra television production. (i.e. 12"ht. x 8"w). in your .pdf you may display any or all the following.
image of driver. driver's hometown. main sponsor. image of car......each team's PR/adv't dept. would setup their own electronic file......this file would be used on every broadcast a minimum of
"X" seconds for all the 16 qualified drivers in each pro class + whatever exposure teams get as they advance in elims......example: each image gets 5 seconds as being introduced for first round.
1st round loser gets another 3 seconds as there is a quick recap of 1st round before rnd. 2, and so on. this image would also be used on sunoco vision trackside throughout a 3 day race weekend.
i have this image in my head of terry mcmillen wrestling with or holding a giant alligator with a AMALIE logo on it......no one would forget who terry is. wouldn't even have to show his dragster in the image.

what about panning the back of the trailers in the pits?.....tell the teams that back of trailer shots will be used exclusively entering and leaving commercial breaks......again. make the back of the trailer
say what you want about your team.....the production dept. can scan trailers on thurs. and friday. make small 5-10 second tv trailers that show 3-4 teams. maybe even announce the driver as the
camera pans the trailers.

martin states the obvious that 1st or 2nd rnd. losers don't stand much of a chance for tv sponsor exposure, and it's been that way forever......how about at least trying something different that would guarantee a sponsor "x" amount of seconds per broadcast, as long their driver is qualified and racing on sunday? could be just that added something that mite make a sponsor reconsider. nhra can
guarantee a certain dollar value of advertising whether said driver loses first round or wins the race.

and what about interactive television? on the broadcast for one nat. event, give away a pair or pairs of tickets to the following nat. event......not sure how to do this, but viewers could enter online with
a code shown on TV broadcast. they would only have 2 minutes or so to do this during original broadcast of race. not the reruns.......advertise this a lot. on tv broadcasts and online. put the giveaway
at different stages of the race in each broadcast. put the winners between starting line for 1st round. interview them and show them on following nat. event broadcast. listen to them all excited
about winning free tickets from watching the nhra on fox sports networks......holding mello yellos of course.

Last edited:
I have spent many hours on Fluke OTDRs and Link Runners ... VERY good stuff.

Oh, that's right, you used to do work with cellular towers, right? We've been working with 100 Gb/s Mellanox gear for one of our software defined storage clusters. I looked at cable testers for copper and fiber at that speed was blown away by 10 - 20K for such a tester. Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough.

Randy Parks in TAD, then again in TF
When Randy Parks ran that car, he told us that Fluke gave him several hundred thousand in products, no cash, and told him to keep whatever he sells them for. Kind of a smart way to get your products out there.

I was the CC for the Rydin Decal deal from 95 thru 97. The owner of Rydin did a lot of creative B to B deals to fund that team. He is a pretty smart guy. We wanted for nothing with that car.

When Randy Parks ran that car, he told us that Fluke gave him several hundred thousand in products, no cash, and told him to keep whatever he sells them for. Kind of a smart way to get your products out there.
Is this randy parks in TF ? I noticed that the car has fluke on it.

Pomona only 3 weeks out and still nothing. That can’t be good.
I thought that what this originally about. It got side tracked in to politics and testing equipment. DO we know who his sponsor is going to be in '19 and beyond ??

I thought that what this originally about. It got side tracked in to politics and testing equipment. DO we know who his sponsor is going to be in '19 and beyond ??
well chris, when there is no sponsor announcement, the thread has to be derailed just to keep it going :D ......i'm hoping that any of these FC and/or TF teams with new sponsors will announce at the
last minute, as hopefully it takes a little while to have car and trailer wrapped, and new uniforms printed

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back