Tony Shumachers next sponsor......... (1 Viewer)

It’s a shame that the winningest top fuel driver ever and arguably the 2nd most recognizable name in drag racing is struggling to find a sponsor.

Iffen I remember correctly, Exide was his first major sponsor, and they bowed out at the end of the season, even though he'd won the championship.

Iffen I remember correctly, Exide was his first major sponsor, and they bowed out at the end of the season, even though he'd won the championship.

Ironic you should mention that. Here's what Tony had to say about the subject. Exide got into further financial trouble in 2000. Tony finished the season with the Army starting at Indy and Melanie Troxel ran the rest of the races for Exide. Exide also left Rousch Racing and Jeff Burton in September and they put their 2001 sponsor Citgo on the car. Exide filed for bankruptcy in 2002 after losing their lawsuit for fraud in early 2001.

AND HERE I THOUGHT EXIDE WAS UNDER THE SCHUMACHER ELECTRIC COMPANY....STUPID ME...IT FOR SURE STINKS FOR TONY TO HAVE TO STRUGGLE TO GET A SPONSOR...YOU THINK PEOPLE WOULD BE BEATING DOWN THE DOOR TO SPONSOR HIM...GOOD GUY....HIM AND HIS DAD...

Most deals seem to be 3 year programs. So for Tony to get almost 20 with the Army was awesome. And while finding sponsors has NEVER been easy, it’s even harder today. The budget required to race at the pro level is out of control, and the whole advertising model has changed dramatically. So, it takes a lot more work and creativity to put these deals together.

Most deals seem to be 3 year programs. So for Tony to get almost 20 with the Army was awesome. And while finding sponsors has NEVER been easy, it’s even harder today. The budget required to race at the pro level is out of control, and the whole advertising model has changed dramatically. So, it takes a lot more work and creativity to put these deals together.

This is true. But I think drag racing is still a bargin, compared to NASCAR and Indy Car. Not even gonna mention Formula One.

This is true. But I think drag racing is still a bargin, compared to NASCAR and Indy Car. Not even gonna mention Formula One.
Oh I totally agree! But, the work is in selling it, like anything else. And F1? Lewis Hamilton could buy the entire NHRA off a couple seasons worth of salary. But that form of racing is a whole different world, an entirely different financial model that I don’t know enough about to explain. I do enjoy watching it.

i'll take a shot in the dark.....Fluke

I still have my FLUKE crew shirt from the RYDIN DECAL days... LOL

Why is everyone saying that Tony is struggling to find a sponsor? He lost Army after decades with them, and has found a new sponsor before the season has started. He won't miss a race because of a lack of sponsorship.

People that struggle to find a sponsor eventually park their rides.

I had to look it up. I never knew Fluke sponsored a car. We use a bunch of their stuff at my job. That would be cool to see them back.

I had to look it up. I never knew Fluke sponsored a car. We use a bunch of their stuff at my job. That would be cool to see them back.

Fluke makes good stuff. A little pricey (especially their copper and fiber cable testers), but you get what you pay for

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back