Thoughts on Nostalgia FCs (1 Viewer)

The NFC deal is cool, and the rules are printed for everyone to see. Some people have the tune-up to run 5.80's and others only muster 6.30's.

Is it affordable? Depends on what you consider affordable. If you have a tough time burning $100.00 like they were free, this is not for you. I went thru a 55 gallon drum of Nitro at the MM, and I have nothing to show for it in 3 runs. I just tossed 800 bucks in the ground. How about 12 gallons of 70w Oil, that aint cheep!

If you cringe at spending thousands of dollars that you know will be used up in the course of a few days, with no useful life afterwards, this is not for you.

Racing at any level is not cheep. You live within your means, and do what you can to survive in your class.

We don't do it for the $, we do it for fun.....

Justin

The NFC deal is cool, and the rules are printed for everyone to see. Some people have the tune-up to run 5.80's and others only muster 6.30's.

Is it affordable? Depends on what you consider affordable. If you have a tough time burning $100.00 like they were free, this is not for you. I went thru a 55 gallon drum of Nitro at the MM, and I have nothing to show for it in 3 runs. I just tossed 800 bucks in the ground. How about 12 gallons of 70w Oil, that aint cheep!

If you cringe at spending thousands of dollars that you know will be used up in the course of a few days, with no useful life afterwards, this is not for you.

Racing at any level is not cheep. You live within your means, and do what you can to survive in your class.

We don't do it for the $, we do it for fun.....

Justin

Justin, the time I've spent helping Brendan Murry has been a huge eye opener, especially since I've had a bit of time working on the big show cars. No doubt, it is not for anyone who thinks they will profit, but if you can get out of the track at the end of the weekend, having some fun, being with friends, burning nitro, and not losing your house over it, then it's been good.

Brendan has several sayings to describe this activity; "Top fuel racing is for people who love work and hate money",,, the other; "nitro is the fastest way to turn money into noise"

By the way, it seems that the tracks down here are finally catching on to what is going on, and have expressed an interest in bringing some down here for a show or two. I talked to one person in the front office at a local track, and suggested they contact Gibbs first, then perhaps having them call you and Troy, and the rest of you guys up there. So don't be surprised if you get a call from Florida.

I'll keep you posted on the "home board"

coyote out

Justin, nice to see you chime in, I love your car dude. Like I said before, racing of any kind is like throwing 100's into the fireplace, some people like boats, some like horses, etc. I tell my wife all the time, the minute we pack up the kids and leave the driveway, I can count on spending money. But, even for a guy like me, this deal gives my dream of hitting the loud pedal on a fuel car a lot better chance, than ever trying to go out and put together a car that could compete with the big boys. Also, like I touched on before, as much as I love alky cars, I know what it takes to do that deal seriously, and it ain't cheap. Also for no financial rewards. So all in all, I really think the Nostalgia FC deal is pretty cool, both for racers, and spectators.

Justin, the time I've spent helping Brendan Murry has been a huge eye opener, especially since I've had a bit of time working on the big show cars. No doubt, it is not for anyone who thinks they will profit, but if you can get out of the track at the end of the weekend, having some fun, being with friends, burning nitro, and not losing your house over it, then it's been good.

Brendan has several sayings to describe this activity; "Top fuel racing is for people who love work and hate money",,, the other; "nitro is the fastest way to turn money into noise"

By the way, it seems that the tracks down here are finally catching on to what is going on, and have expressed an interest in bringing some down here for a show or two. I talked to one person in the front office at a local track, and suggested they contact Gibbs first, then perhaps having them call you and Troy, and the rest of you guys up there. So don't be surprised if you get a call from Florida.

I'll keep you posted on the "home board"

coyote out

Thanks Man! We have a killer crop of Nitro FC's up here now. We have in the Mid-West Danny Miller's Plastic Fantastic, Kyle Wurtzel's Motown Shaker, My Don Schumacher's Stardust and Wonder Wagon, Greg Jacobsmeyer's All Star Dodge, John Dunn's Dunn and Gone Nova, and Troy Martin's Chi-Town Hustler.
The Nitro Funny Car AllStars group is growing!

Thanks Man! We have a killer crop of Nitro FC's up here now. We have in the Mid-West Danny Miller's Plastic Fantastic, Kyle Wurtzel's Motown Shaker, My Don Schumacher's Stardust and Wonder Wagon, Greg Jacobsmeyer's All Star Dodge, John Dunn's Dunn and Gone Nova, and Troy Martin's Chi-Town Hustler.
The Nitro Funny Car AllStars group is growing!

I figured as much,,, you guys are a closer tow to this place than those out west, and no doubt just as strong in putting on a show. We'll have to just sit back and see what the track wants to do. I did tell them that if they can secure some local business sponsorship, tow money comes first, then you can negotiate the run money.

The cool thing about the FCs is that you can take a late model chassis, and put on an old style body with a cool paint job and you've got a killer nosalgia FC.

In my opinion, the cool thing about nostalgia FC's is that you can look at the lines of the body and know what the make and model is rather than looking at the stickers that are on the current bubble cars that tell you that you are looking at a Dodge, or a Chevy or a Ford.

Not sure if I derailed the thread with my "question" of affordability. Sitting here working away on Mazdas and got to thinking another way to get the cost further down would be to build just an injected nitro car. As I said earlier, I'll be happy just doing Cacklefest types of deals, or local car shows, maybe charge X amount to sit in the drivers seat during a warm up to help pay for the fuel. I have no plans of competing on a competitive level at the track. With that being said, would it be sacrilage to build anything other than a hemi or BBC? Maybe an injected nitro big block Mopar? It shares a lot of bottom end parts with the hemi but the top end could be built much cheaper. Just thinking out loud. :D

Hey Brad, if you're only gonna cackle it, throw a blower on it! (It's easy for me to spend your money) Actually, you could probably find a used blower and hat cheaper than a injection set up for a nitro motor. I think the units on the A/FDs are not cheap. Obviously it's all about what deal you find.

Darr,

Long time no speak since Pomona... lol

Got a question and you'd know as well as anyone out there.

How much could a person build a nostalgia flop for excluding the support equipment?

There was a new one complete for sale in ND a few issues back. Seems like they were asking 115K for it turn key. No transporter or spare parts.

The crowds LOVE the N/FC's.
Trust me on that.

I had hoped the spending would remain under control, but that stopped a couple years ago.

The local team I know started putting a '79 Monza together 4 years ago.
It's coming together, but very slowly. Back then, there was still a chance of running 60%, not setting the motor on "kill", being in the show, and having fun. We were counting on that. Oh well.

How much could a person build a nostalgia flop for excluding the support equipment?

Bobby here's a good place to start a car formerly driven by Ron Capps:
Race Ads | For Sale: 69 Mach 1 Nostalgia Funny Car for saleFree Classifieds Powered By Dragracingonline.racingjunk.com

And here's a turn-key Vega that ran a 6.07 at the March Meet last weekend:
Race Ads | For Sale: NITRO NOSTALGIA FUNNY CAR BRAND NEWFree Classifieds Powered By Dragracingonline.racingjunk.com

Or how about one of the In-n-Out Burger cars:
Race Ads | For Sale: In & Out Funny CarFree Classifieds Powered By Dragracingonline.racingjunk.com

Get out your checkbook!

See ya,

Darr

I was at Fomosa the weekend before the Meet testing with Jack Beckman, as he also tested this car. We were pitted next door to this sweet Vega. This is an absolutely gorgeous machine. Not sure anyone can call a $125k car a "bargain", but it is really clean, and you know it can run the numbers.

I'll bet anyone that's knowledgeable on the subject will tell you it's not so much the cost of the car, it's the cost of racing it. It's approximately 100k a weekend to run a big show car for the season, give or take. A lot of people can foot the bill for a $100+ race car, and buy/lease support equipment. However, not so many can afford to burn through 2.5-3.0 Million per year to run it. I would say you could piece together a nice nostalgia FC for a lot less than you would think. Of course there are many variables, such as new vs. old equipment and so on. And as I mentioned, while some guys like John Powers may be able to show up with a killer transporter, it isn't necessary, while in the big show, it is.

Z'anybody know what ever happened to the sundance monza?
Last I saw it was June 2004 at Pomona GG nitro nats.

RG
Never stopped.
I'm really struggling today, I had to wear long pants to a meeting. That leaves my wearing shorts to work streak at "only" 718 days in a row. Not quite a record.
BTW, what are YOU doing reading a thread about nostalgia stuff?:p

RG
Never stopped.
I'm really struggling today, I had to wear long pants to a meeting. That leaves my wearing shorts to work streak at "only" 718 days in a row. Not quite a record.
BTW, what are YOU doing reading a thread about nostalgia stuff?:p

Coming to his senses? Always wondered what Randy could do with some nitro. Come over to the dark side Randy. We're waiting for you!:p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back