The Shoe Speaks (1 Viewer)

Lynn is right. I guarantee you some of those that throw Tim under the bus bc of Don's press release, will change their minds if the total truth comes out.
How is Lynn right? How is there going to be total truth coming out? Did Don go in their pits on Friday and Saturday and change the tune up they were running?

It's pretty simple when you break it down. The team didn't get the job done. If you don't get your job done, and your boss comes in and says to you that you need to work the weekend to get it done right, you have to make one of two choices, period.

Todd Smith should be a great addition to that team.

Last edited:
I am sure there is a lot to it, more than we will ever know.

But I'm also sure that whatever Don committed to financially to bring Tim and Kim out of retirement was no small amount. I have no idea how much, but I would guess 6 figures a year several times over for the two of them. Tim & Kim are obviously in a financial position to retire, so I can't see them both coming out for $80K or $90K a year....

So Tim & Kim make a commitment to DSR, Ron Capps, Napa and the team to be the crew chief(s). No small commitment on their part considering the dollars involved and the national stage in which they operate.

Likewise, DSR makes a commitment to them to provide the paycheck and all the resources to compete for a championship. I imagine DSR spent considerable time and money bringing them onboard. Meetings with multiple sponsors, contracts, schedules, uniforms, changing parts and pieces over to Tim's way--you name it. A lot of work, a lot of money.

Whatever took place, Tim & Kim didn't like it so they left. In the middle of the season. We've all made commitments we wished we wouldn't have, but you gut it out and keep your word because that's the right thing to do. Did Tim & Kim get wronged somehow that made the situation unbearable? Possibly, but we haven't heard that at this point.

If Don said "test Monday" and they didn't like it, tough. If there were conflicting personalities, that is a crew chief's job--to get the sum of the parts to mesh and produce. Did Don say something that offended them? Possibly. Is that reason to walk out on their deal? Personally, I don't think so. IF production was the point of contention, dig down and get to work. IF testing Monday was the only issue, stay and test. But don't walk out.

I don't think any DSR team lacks for parts or funding or resources, so I don't think that is it.

Seems like Don is more than open with his rightful demand for his teams to produce. Produce or you will be replaced. He always says that they owe it to the sponsors. But Don said he was shocked, so I don't think it was an ongoing thing more than the normal course of business.

If, as someone else stated, they were ready to go back into retirement, why would you make such a huge commitment in the first place? It's not like it was their first rodeo. Don't you think it had to be more than that that spurred them to leave?

For having such a strong opinion about the situation, I admittedly don't know much about it other than what Don said. Typical keyboard crewchief, eh? :D

I also admit as a business owner I have a keen appreciation for how much time and money goes into recruiting and then losing an employee, while the employee is free to breeze in at no expense to them and then split at no expense to them when their panties get in a bunch. They get paid for their time, whether productive or not, and are free to leave on their whim. I'm OK with that system because the business owner enjoys the spoils of profit (hopefully!), but I was taught to honor my commitments whether they tasted good or not.

I wonder if Don did something to not honor his commitment to them? Or was it feelings hurt? Could it really all be over working a Monday? I think at that level you go beyond feelings and working your day off and do your job the best you can.

Rant over! :D What I lack in post count over 5 years, I'm making up for in sheer volume! ;)

When you look at the performance of the team, it wasn't that bad. I mean they had made big gains since Tim and Kim came in.

Ron and Rahn will do just fine.

How is Lynn right? How is there going to be total truth coming out? Did Don go in their pits on Friday and Saturday and change the tune up they were running?

It's pretty simple when you break it down. The team didn't get the job done. If you don't get your job done, and your boss comes in and says to you that you need to work the weekend to get it done right, you have to make one of two choices, period.

Todd Smith should be a great addition to that team.

And they chose one of those options.............so be it, it was there choice, Don made the changes needed, everyone is happy, end of story. So I don't get your comment of "how can I be right"? I just made a comment that there are 2 sides to the story and I don't think that is a wrong statement? :confused:

And they chose one of those options.............so be it, it was there choice, Don made the changes needed, everyone is happy, end of story. So I don't get your comment of "how can I be right"? I just made a comment that there are 2 sides to the story and I don't think that is a wrong statement? :confused:
Lynn, that was directed at Justin's comment that the truth will come out.
Lynn is right. I guarantee you some of those that throw Tim under the bus bc of Don's press release, will change their minds if the total truth comes out.

The truth is out, you are correct at what you stated above. they chose one of the options and moved on in life. Nuff said.

From what I've read and RC being my fav driver in all of motorsports, I think that all parties are best suited by what shook out!

The Comp Plus article reads "the teams 2nd 2012 DNQ."
Refresh my memory on the first one?

Ever forward!

The Comp Plus article reads "the teams 2nd 2012 DNQ."
Refresh my memory on the first one?

I am with you Steve ... he has not only qualified for the 3 prior races to Las Vegas, he has won at least 1 round in each race, with a best of the semis in Pomona. This DNQ at Vegas was an aberration for sure based on early season results, which would seem to give credence to the Don's story that he wasn't looking to replace them ...

I am with you Steve ... he has not only qualified for the 3 prior races to Las Vegas, he has won at least 1 round in each race, with a best of the semis in Pomona. This DNQ at Vegas was an aberration for sure based on early season results, which would seem to give credence to the Don's story that he wasn't looking to replace them ...

They DNQ'd at Phoenix last fall, so this was the 2nd DNQ on Tim's watch.

A crew chief that wants to win doesn't need to be told by the boss "stay and test on Monday"
Someone that wants to win says "Hey boss, can we stay and test? I need to get a handle on this car"

Just something else to think about. I have no reason to doubt Don or what he said.

However, if you had just spent 4-days and tried your best to make the car go down a national event prepped track, and it did the same thing in about the same spot on every run according to team members and the media. What exactly are you going to test?

It is pretty obvious something is either wrong with a part or parts on the car, or there is a clutch problem, be it assembly or otherwise. But without taking it all apart and looking every single thing over there is nothing to be gained by doing the same thing on Monday that you had just tried doing on Sunday. JMO

Best of luck to all involved,

Rapid

Just something else to think about. I have no reason to doubt Don or what he said.

However, if you had just spent 4-days and tried your best to make the car go down a national event prepped track, and it did the same thing in about the same spot on every run according to team members and the media. What exactly are you going to test?

It is pretty obvious something is either wrong with a part or parts on the car, or there is a clutch problem, be it assembly or otherwise. But without taking it all apart and looking every single thing over there is nothing to be gained by doing the same thing on Monday that you had just tried doing on Sunday. JMO

Rapid

Good point.

Rapid

Likes this post

You are right, there are 2 sides of the story and there is the truth. Don is the only one speaking, so what do you have to contradict what he is saying. This isn't the first time Tim has packed up shop and left a team. He was probably frustrated and had it. Tim's quote is "I am going to enjoy retirement" and he has no further comment. If that is the way Tim and Don want to leave it so be it. Let Tim enjoy retirement, just like Austin Coil is enjoying life away from the sport, they both have earned it.

Didnt he just up and quit Amato's team after losing 1st round one race?

Rapid

Why dont you ask the crew chiefs? Wouldn't they be able to answer that? When your testing you don't have to worry about a 75 min. Turnaround, you can look over data, check parts, try different stuff! I bet Alan Johnson or Austin Coil could answer that, they test more than anybody!

Why dont you ask the crew chiefs? Wouldn't they be able to answer that? When your testing you don't have to worry about a 75 min. Turnaround, you can look over data, check parts, try different stuff! I bet Alan Johnson or Austin Coil could answer that, they test more than anybody!

Joe, remember the NHRA has set limits as to how many days each team can test these days.

Rapid

If it were a clutch problem, couldn't they test a different set of clutches to determine if that is the problem? That's what testing is all about, trying different things that may or may not work.

I just can't imagine anyone ordering the General what to do, his credentials speak for themselves. If he felt testing was in order they would be the first ones there on Monday morning. You hire a crew chief to make those decisions and trust their judgement endorsing that with a contractual commitment. I commend Tim for standing his ground and choosing to return to Florida Retirement rather than be neutered by emotional decisions.

Didnt he just up and quit Amato's team after losing 1st round one race?

I don't remember the exact circumstances the led to Tim quitting, but yes he did walk out on Joe right in the middle of a championship battle. I believe it was between Indy and Reading when Tim quit. Joe was able to use resources from Herbert I believe to ride out the year and win the title. Someone with a better memory than me will clarify if I am off.

If it were a clutch problem, couldn't they test a different set of clutches to determine if that is the problem? That's what testing is all about, trying different things that may or may not work.

Nick,

I am sure they have any number of clutches to put in the car, just as I am sure they swapped out the complete unit during the weekend trying to fix the problem. It could have been that Tim had already decided it was something that couldn't be fixed at the track and wanted the car gone over back in the shop for a more in-depth inspection. Trying what may or may not work is a pretty expensive deal on these cars.

My suggestion was that Tim had already decided something was making the clutch act that way, whether it was the timers, a fuel system problem leaning out the engine causing the tire spin. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a clutch issue.

I don't have the talent to run a nhra nitro funnycar, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have solved a bad weekend at the track by thinking it over on the way home. It usually comes down to somebody saying, "You know what you should have done." ;) :D:D:D

Rapid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back