The Shoe Speaks (1 Viewer)

Pete

Nitro Member
Thanks Bobby!

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/20747-schumacher-richards-refusal-led-to-resignation

I have always respected Don for his willingness to "clear the air". Over the years he has always, when the time is right, tried to explain what happened or why. He doesn't owe anyone that and he's not obligated to share information, but he is a fan of the sport as well and he used to always take the time and pop his head in here to answer questions or explain things.

I think in this case, maybe Tim was overwhelmed with the DNQ and was pouring over the data when he was approached by Don.
Tim has been a "fly in crew chief" for a lot of years, just like most of the others, but he is a very intense guy, who can be hard headed now and again. IMO he reacted to having to stay Monday...which is something he typically doesn't do.

Last edited:
I'm with Shoe on this one. You don't qualify, too much at stake to NOT test. Even if you can logically explain what went wrong on each run, get some good passes in to get things rollin' again.

With all due respect to Tim & Kim, if your plans for Monday were more important than getting things going again.....it probably IS time for a change.

I've had to explain to more than one employee that there are better opportunities out there for them and they should get started. :D

Before everyone jumps on the "Shoe" bandwagon, just remember that there are 2 sides to every story. Just because Tim hasn't spoken out yet doesn't mean he is in the wrong!!!! Some of you are just too quick to judge. :rolleyes:

Before everyone jumps on the "Shoe" bandwagon, just remember that there are 2 sides to every story. Just because Tim hasn't spoken out yet doesn't mean he is in the wrong!!!! Some of you are just too quick to judge. :rolleyes:

You are right, there are 2 sides of the story and there is the truth. Don is the only one speaking, so what do you have to contradict what he is saying. This isn't the first time Tim has packed up shop and left a team. He was probably frustrated and had it. Tim's quote is "I am going to enjoy retirement" and he has no further comment. If that is the way Tim and Don want to leave it so be it. Let Tim enjoy retirement, just like Austin Coil is enjoying life away from the sport, they both have earned it.

You're right Lynn, there are 2 sides. I hope we do, but we may never hear Tim & Kim's side.

In my opinion, Don is not a knee-jerk reaction type of guy. Resigning on Saturday after you don't qualify is a knee-jerk reaction, even if it has been brewing for a while (who knows? I don't).

I take Don at his word because I have always heard high praise about him from his employees--even former employees. He is a good businessman, but treats people fairly. I've seen his reaction under pressure and how he handles himself in tough situations. He is always measured and never a hot-head, even when he is obviously fuming. Examples include the $100,000 fine for having a barrel of non-VP nitro on NHRA premises or even the "remove the shroud" deal from the countdown last year. Either one of those would send a lot of us into a tirade. But Don handles it all very professionally. You don't get to where he is without some skill.

I'm sure there may be more to it than Don said, but bottom line: If the boss says "work Monday" you work Monday, not storm out Saturday and leave the owner, driver, crew guys and sponsor in a tough spot.

You're right Lynn, there are 2 sides. I hope we do, but we may never hear Tim & Kim's side.

In my opinion, Don is not a knee-jerk reaction type of guy. Resigning on Saturday after you don't qualify is a knee-jerk reaction, even if it has been brewing for a while (who knows? I don't).

I take Don at his word because I have always heard high praise about him from his employees--even former employees. He is a good businessman, but treats people fairly. I've seen his reaction under pressure and how he handles himself in tough situations. He is always measured and never a hot-head, even when he is obviously fuming. Examples include the $100,000 fine for having a barrel of non-VP nitro on NHRA premises or even the "remove the shroud" deal from the countdown last year. Either one of those would send a lot of us into a tirade. But Don handles it all very professionally. You don't get to where he is without some skill.

I'm sure there may be more to it than Don said, but bottom line: If the boss says "work Monday" you work Monday, not storm out Saturday and leave the owner, driver, crew guys and sponsor in a tough spot.

Is this the closest thing to the "like" button?

Actually when I go to Comp Plus it is forbidden as well. I can read the first part of the story, but then when I click "continue reading" I get the forbidden page.

For $5 I'll tell ya what it said before it went down! :D

BTW - I'm getting a lot of use out of this guy today ->:D

Edit: Didn't see Bobby's comment above before I posted...

Last edited:
There may be 2 sides to every story but when you have a boss only 1 side matters. They weren't even close to getting in the field. A best of 6.02 putting them 21st out of 22 cars. If Tim didn't want to test the car on Monday then he really didn't want to tune the car.

I think wqe exorcised the critter out of there. Should be showing fine now.

If not, try CTRL and press f5 and on a laptop CTRL, FN and f5.

Sorry bout that, sometimes poop happens.

Lynn is right. I guarantee you some of those that throw Tim under the bus bc of Don's press release, will change their minds if the total truth comes out.

Maybe Tim and Kim were just ready to go back into retirement and the opportunity presented itself.......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back