Shoe/AB Final Denver (1 Viewer)

The saddest part of it all, is that people think that way these days. It goes well past simple drag racing results, it's in the media, govt, religion, etc.. Conspiracy theory everywhere and it's only getting worse. More doubt than belief. I understand that once something happens it's hard to think it won't again. The DSR lane choice fiasco from Seattle, Force driving out of the groove at Indy, etc.

I'm just as guilty. My first thoughts were, how did the Elite Mopars go from mid pack at best to 1 and 4 in qualifying Friday night? How did Alex Laughlin get to be the top Gray Motorsports powered car? Setups couldn't make THAT much of a difference could they? Of course by the end of Saturday it was closer to the norm, but still 2 Gray cars and an Elite car ahead of the 3 KB cars. I also thought it was very convenient to have AJ continue his streak as king of the mountain, and the winningest drivers in PSM, FC, and TF to score big wins on the national network debut.

Then you just gotta look at the facts. Their teams hit the setups and the drove the best races when they needed it most.

If Allen Johnson was .030 or worse in round 2, he loses to Erica. If he was .062 or worse in the semis, he loses to Greg. If he was .063 or worse in the finals, Vincent steals one on a holeshot. He cut the lights he needed to cut, when he needed to cut them, and earned that win. Plus you have luck on your side. The best cars in the field weren't around for the finals. Shane Gray loses on a holeshot in round one, and Jason Line and Alex Laughlin red light their chances away. Sometimes it's just a perfect storm.

I'm one of those people that always think Force never races against his family heads up, but I was wrong. John almost matched his semi final reaction time and the race was on! Just think, if he was .054 or worse on the tree, the Traxxas Camaro wins. Can you accurately within hundreths of a second dictate a race? Not possible! It was just a great old drag race, and arguably the best Funny Car driver in history added to his impressive win total.

Was the Top Fuel final a dive? I agree with the above postings, no. Just a little aggressive on the Matco Team. The lanes were pretty even all day long and the Funny Car final proved it. Who knows if they saw how that final went and tweaked it a little further while waiting to run. The reaction times were almost identical and i'm sure the finish line would have been just the same if not the smoke. Does Tony want to win his way into the Shootout? Sure he does! I would almost bet he would be a fan vote lock if he didn't win though. No need for it to be orchestrated.

It was just a great event, on a great day, in front of a live national television audience. I think all the storylines were legit. I'm sure the guys want to win every race, but there was a little extra incentive to win the first live NHRA national broadcast.

I've spent quite a bit of time around these people over the last 20+ years. I suppose it is easy to speculate what is going on when most, or all impressions, you might form are based solely on sound bites that you might see on TV or read in opinion pieces published online. I find it a little troubling that some folks are so willing to jump to conclusions about the character of current and former champions in this sport without actually knowing who they really are.

Post race yesterday, Tony said that fans had told him they would vote him into the shootout if he didn't make it in with a win. He said he told those fans to NOT vote him in. If he didn't earn a spot, he didn't feel he deserved a spot. That is true character.

Post race yesterday, John admitted that he had to put it out of his mind that he was racing his daughter to win against her. If he didn't, it would subconsciously affect his performance. That can't be an easy thing to do. That is true character. Courtney made a great pass in the final round against her father. Both were in it to win it.

Oh yeah, all a set up. Not for DSR, but for the HUGE FOX Sports broadcast. It HAD to work out this way for the sake of TV. Not only did the Matco T/F team sacrifice, but most of the F/C class did too..... and also team KB in P/S......ya know, so Force & AJ could share in the fairy tale ending as well. Yep, seems legit :rolleyes:

I waiting for Wikileaks to come out that they hacked into the computers of JFR, DSR, the Kalitta team, the Torrence operation and all the Pro Stock teams. But the big prize will be when information contained in the NHRA hard drives is released. Then we will see how big this cheating is in the NHRA pro ranks. I'm sure this will be right up there with the well known corruption of the democrat party, the doping practices of the Olympic athletes, the failure of the Dept. of Justice to bring charges against Hillary, the Tour De France races and the Snowden issues.

Come on people, you're treading on thin ice (especially in July) unless you have hard evidence of teams taking dives.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back