The next domino to fall..... (1 Viewer)

A lot of people here don't remember Shoe's multi car teams go back to the early 70's the He, Ray Beadle and I think RonOldonald drove his 3 Stardust cars. Phil Trover you may have hit the nail on it's head!

How long do you think Connie Kalitta will stay in racing? Maybe Doug will take over.
Id say doug is prob gonna drive another year or 2 and take over operations. Connie has a nice trailer with an elevator at the races! Im sure its got everything he needs

A lot of people here don't remember Shoe's multi car teams go back to the early 70's the He, Ray Beadle and I think RonOldonald drove his 3 Stardust cars. Phil Trover you may have hit the nail on it's head!
Maybe you don't remember. If I remember ( that is a big if ). Ron O'Donnell ( you didn't even come close spelling his name right )
drove for Don in 1969. In the early 70s Don, Beadle, Kelly Brown and Bobby Rowe drove and maybe a couple of others when needed
to fill in. Don left the sport in 1974 after that years U.S. Nationals.
ron-odonnell-at-the-1969-ahra-grand-nationals_8952000040_o-1.jpg

AA/FC 1969 Ron O'Donnell in the seat. State of the art ramp truck back then.
BOBBY-ROWE-DON-SCHMACHER%27s-.jpg

AA/FC 1972 Bobby Rowe in the seat
c6216a20ee13baa87480b50d75f8e68d.jpg

AA/FC Raymond Beadle in the seat. After this deal he would go on to partner with Harry Schmidt and the rest
is drag racing history.
WonderWagon.jpg

AA/FC Kelly Brown in the seat of the ill handling at best, Vega body flopper.
USN-pits-1974-(6).jpg

AA/FC 1974 I believe this was Don's last flopper he drove. before calling it a day.
Well for the next 23 years and after that we know what happen.
I know posting about "About the good old days" and they were! On this thread
will piss people off, but just maybe you will learn something. Bin going since 1968.
Anytime Cliff, Mark and other old farts ( Sorry LOL ) post about the old days I learn
something new. It might come in handy for you younger fans when you are sitting
next to that old fart in the grandstands.

Last edited:
thought this mite be the perfect place to think back to all the comments made here on the mater over the years about how catastrophic it would be if one or more the the
'big' teams went away.......well, we're seeing it rite now, and everything is in great shape.

I think it’s as simple as the business model is changing. If someone like Don has a facility able to basically build and maintain cars he can offer that to many independent teams at once. Not many single teams could afford all that equipment and expertise.

It’s obvious that it has become too difficult to maintain sponsorship for so many cars at once. This isn’t some last resort decisions. People like Don are too smart to not see the direction you need to go well down the road.

thought this mite be the perfect place to think back to all the comments made here on the mater over the years about how catastrophic it would be if one or more the the
'big' teams went away.......well, we're seeing it rite now, and everything is in great shape.
The problem with eliminating the large teams is that good drivers that so many of us love seeing in a race car is sitting on the sideline... TJ, Jack, Austin. I would love to see Jeff Arend in a competitive car running a full schedule.

The problem with eliminating the large teams is that good drivers that so many of us love seeing in a race car is sitting on the sideline... TJ, Jack, Austin. I would love to see Jeff Arend in a competitive car running a full schedule.
Corporations that market on the top classes of drag racing have seen their ROI reduce over the years too. When Bud, Miller Beer, Pennzoil, Castrol, English Leather and even the NY Yankees sponsored drag cars, each ad was "seen" by a much larger percentage of the population than on a T/F or F/C now. Marketing executives count the unique "views" when calculating the value or ROI of sponsorship. It's why a sign on John Force's car is worth more than a sign on Big Jim Dunn's car.

That's where multicar teams offer more to their sponsors than single car teams can. Robert Hight's primary sponsor AAA, is also on every one of the Force team's race cars, uniforms, haulers, hospitality tent and hero cards. That adds significant value and makes it easier for a sponsor to justify signing that big high dollar contract.

Multicar teams offer more ROI than single car teams can. If the sponsorship dollars are dwindling due to less ROI in drag racing in general, teams will have to do whatever it takes to stay out there. Tony Steward has a two car team. Antron Brown is starting up with a two car team. There's speculation that Wilkerson will be a two car team. ??
The games still the same, the players are changing.

the game is still the same, the players are changing.......could not be more true. we all miss jack beckman. what if jack beckman was headed towards ownership next year?
would we all say, 'oh man, i sure miss ron capps, i wish the 'big team' was still here to support him'? i miss all the good drivers on the sidelines too, but i'm
just as appreciative of the new talent such cameron ferr, tripp schumake, bobe bode, chad green, trip tatum, josh hart, etc.

If I was a big money sponsor it wouldn’t sell me to be offered a small decal on several other team cars if I’m the primary on one.

Seems to me a lot of the big established sponsors today are more interested in track hospitality for employees, business partners and off track appearances. I do see sponsors from a lot of lesser known up and coming companies. I assume to get their name out there. What does a Budweiser have to gain? There are so many cheaper ways to promote your business in today’s world.

If I was a big money sponsor it wouldn’t sell me to be offered a small decal on several other team cars if I’m the primary on one.

Seems to me a lot of the big established sponsors today are more interested in track hospitality for employees, business partners and off track appearances. I do see sponsors from a lot of lesser known up and coming companies. I assume to get their name out there. What does a Budweiser have to gain? There are so many cheaper ways to promote your business in today’s world.

You tweaked my interest and I'm a bored retiree with time to kill. (Not a China19 related comment.) I did a quick Google search for "American beer company market share from year to year." and came up with this:
Brewer/Importer2010 Share2020 Share
Anheuser-Busch InBev47.9%38.7%

Budweiser brands have lost almost 10% of the market in the last ten years without drag racing marketing.
Maybe they ought to lure Kenny and Brandon out of retirement! Lets go Brandon!!

the game is still the same, the players are changing.......could not be more true. we all miss jack beckman. what if jack beckman was headed towards ownership next year?
would we all say, 'oh man, i sure miss ron capps, i wish the 'big team' was still here to support him'? i miss all the good drivers on the sidelines too, but i'm
just as appreciative of the new talent such cameron ferr, tripp schumake, bobe bode, chad green, trip tatum, josh hart, etc.
I appreciate the part time racers like Bobby Bode as much as you do. Actually I root for them more then the full time drivers and have spent more time around them on a daily basis. But, I don't think a lot of fans realize just how much these big teams help the smaller teams survive. When the big teams are gone then the smaller teams are not going to be able to buy good used parts for a fraction of what new parts will cost them. I know of one full time team that usually has at least 1 to 3 bodies off of a large teams cars delivered to their trailer after those cars are eliminated at the world finals just about every year. I don't know how many times I have been to Kalitta's and DSR to pick up used funny car bodies. I doubt if Alex Miladinovich would have been able to step up from the nostalgia ranks if not for the used parts he was able to purchase off of larger teams. I know I made a deal for him at the team I was on and delivered a crankshaft to him so he could go to the Las Vegas race a few years ago, and he has purchased many more parts since then. Just about all of the lower budget teams depend on the larger teams parts to survive and I don't know what will happen if that used parts supply dries up. I wish all of the fuel teams could afford to run an unlimited schedule with new parts, but I don't see that happening anytime soon...and without those used parts I could see some of them running even less then they do now.

Last edited:
You tweaked my interest and I'm a bored retiree with time to kill. (Not a China19 related comment.) I did a quick Google search for "American beer company market share from year to year." and came up with this:

Budweiser brands have lost almost 10% of the market in the last ten years without drag racing marketing.
That’s interesting. As much as the alcohol business has changed in the last decade, could anything have been done to maintain share? Maybe they have done well only losing that much. I have relatives who always drank Bud Light and now drink that girlie White Claw stuff , lol. It does seem to me Budweiser markets the brand much less since INBEV bought them. Maybe they moved it to avenues that don’t reach me. I don’t know.

@Chad Worton re post #30.
Do you have some insight regarding the attachment? Or is it all just coincidences?
its a pretty cool looking car and someone remembered RP gave Capps his first TF ride...other than that I dont think theres anything to it other than coincidence...I have no insights or outsights...last time I went tp the eye dr he said Im farsighted with an astigmatism (sp?)...so dont read anything into my posts 😀

its a pretty cool looking car and someone remembered RP gave Capps his first TF ride...other than that I dont think theres anything to it other than coincidence...I have no insights or outsights...last time I went tp the eye dr he said Im farsighted with an astigmatism (sp?)...so dont read anything into my posts 😀
Well I'm always amazed at how many race related people/personnel are from my area.

Maybe you don't remember. If I remember ( that is a big if ). Ron O'Donnell ( you didn't even come close spelling his name right )
drove for Don in 1969. In the early 70s Don, Beadle, Kelly Brown and Bobby Rowe drove and maybe a couple of others when needed
to fill in. Don left the sport in 1974 after that years U.S. Nationals.
ron-odonnell-at-the-1969-ahra-grand-nationals_8952000040_o-1.jpg

AA/FC 1969 Ron O'Donnell in the seat. State of the art ramp truck back then.
BOBBY-ROWE-DON-SCHMACHER%27s-.jpg

AA/FC 1972 Bobby Rowe in the seat
c6216a20ee13baa87480b50d75f8e68d.jpg

AA/FC Raymond Beadle in the seat. After this deal he would go on to partner with Harry Schmidt and the rest
is drag racing history.
WonderWagon.jpg

AA/FC Kelly Brown in the seat of the ill handling at best, Vega body flopper.
USN-pits-1974-(6).jpg

AA/FC 1974 I believe this was Don's last flopper he drove. before calling it a day.
Well for the next 23 years and after that we know what happen.
I know posting about "About the good old days" and they were! On this thread
will piss people off, but just maybe you will learn something. Bin going since 1968
anytime Cliff, Mark and other old farts ( Sorry LOL ) post about the old days I learn
something new. It might come in handy for you younger fans when you are sitting
next to that old fart in the grandstands.
Been going since about the same time - 1969! Fat thumbs and over eager index fingers sometimes don't agree with the brain when typing Lol! Your right on the O'Donnell spelling and I did forget about Bobby Rowe! The Kelly Brown deal with Wonder Bread/ Don Schumacher/ et all - is a long discussion that was talked about here a while back. Keep up the good work!

Lol - maybe also because Miller tastes better......

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back