Dear NHRA Facebook Fans.... (1 Viewer)

rollemup

Nitro Member
......Dear NHRA Facebook Fans:

We wanted to address the concerns you have expressed here regarding NHRA’s television programming. Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts have negatively affected our programming this fall and we want you to know that we are just as concerned, if not more so, than all of you are. Television is a hugely important part of our sport; it’s important to our teams, sponsors and fans. In many ways, it’s the glue that holds everything together. We’re working diligently with ESPN to figure out a solution for 2014. We will keep you posted.

--Thank you for your continued support of the NHRA.

....this was on my facebook status this afternoon

Interesting....

No jump to another network, but since there ARE other networks now, it gives NHRA a bit more leverage. And for the $16+MIL that they are paying for the privilege would make a pretty good coup for one of the new start-ups

On a similar note, was watching Pomona2 1992 on VHS today- on NBC Sports- it wasn't live, but back then, I think TNN was the only live show, and that didn't even come into play until the '93 season.

Interesting....

No jump to another network, but since there ARE other networks now, it gives NHRA a bit more leverage. And for the $16+MIL that they are paying for the privilege would make a pretty good coup for one of the new start-ups

On a similar note, was watching Pomona2 1992 on VHS today- on NBC Sports- it wasn't live, but back then, I think TNN was the only live show, and that didn't even come into play until the '93 season.

NHRA would be CRAZY to pay any other network that kind of money. In fact, if they did move networks they really shouldn't pay anything to be way down the dial, do it as an ad revenue share or something similar.

Fire ESPN and move on to another network,ESPN will always suck,we all know its not going to change next year.

NHRA would be CRAZY to pay any other network that kind of money. In fact, if they did move networks they really shouldn't pay anything to be way down the dial, do it as an ad revenue share or something similar.

If their numbers weren't so absolutely horrendous, it would make sense that they could walk in anywhere and demand a slot, but-

-150-200 active members here as representation of true NHRA fan base
-declining physical attendance at the events, and no marked increase in viewership on the live/ tape delayed broadcasts, based on Nielsen numbers
-street racing reality shows and YellowBullet continuously having stronger numbers than "legitimate" NHRA connections to the general public

And the killer- ESPN has better connection with the broadcasting world than MAV, FS1 or any of the other new stars on the horizon. Sports are still associated with ESPN- NHRA needs them way more than they need NHRA.

Interesting....

it was actually Phoenix 92, seriously

I'd like to see NHRA go to CBS Sports especially with Dave Rieff going there to do World of Outlaws shows.

Part of the problem the last 2 months is that NHRA (and everything else) is competing with college football. Football 1, NHRA, 0. That's not gonna change.

Carl, there has always been College Football -- what's different now ?

I am thinking that if NHRA goes to another network the quality of the coverage will suffer--

ESPN covers , produces, and plays the shows for that 16 Million number -- they have a lot of costs in there ----I am thinking that includes the Sportsman shows too ----

So there's about 32 plus shows they produce ? the 16 million looks smaller per race the more ya look at it --

I am thinking that if NHRA goes to another network the quality of the coverage will suffer--

ESPN covers , produces, and plays the shows for that 16 Million number -- they have a lot of costs in there ----I am thinking that includes the Sportsman shows too ----

So there's about 32 plus shows they produce ? the 16 million looks smaller per race the more ya look at it --

What's different now is that there is a network or 10 for college football on Saturday... Can't beat that.

And there is a network or 10 for NFL Football on Sunday. Can't beat that.

I have a hard time believing that each show costs $500K to produce, AND- who takes the advertising dollars for each 30 second spot?

I already quit caring. Just now, watching the Pomona race, Gary Densham beats Ron Capps, and I get to see it in a smaller screen as they crank up Morgan Lucas' farewell speech (but then, it's really not farewell, because he will be back next year)....good grief they sure do get off on their interviews.

Hint: Race people tune in to see a race, not some slobbery drama filled stuff. Show me the race, but then, since you haven't figured that out yet, I would say your only course of action is to get rid of any and all "reality TV" types, and backfill with "racing" types. Good luck.

And the killer- ESPN has better connection with the broadcasting world than MAV, FS1 or any of the other new stars on the horizon. Sports are still associated with ESPN- NHRA needs them way more than they need NHRA.

Actually, espn is hardly a "racers" channel. NBC took over the top tier of that label with ease after they took on F1, ALMS, Indy Car etc. They even do the kindness of not being a NASCAR shill. What a breath of fresh air.

I already quit caring. Just now, watching the Pomona race, Gary Densham beats Ron Capps, and I get to see it in a smaller screen as they crank up Morgan Lucas' farewell speech (but then, it's really not farewell, because he will be back next year)....good grief they sure do get off on their interviews.

Hint: Race people tune in to see a race, not some slobbery drama filled stuff. Show me the race, but then, since you haven't figured that out yet, I would say your only course of action is to get rid of any and all "reality TV" types, and backfill with "racing" types. Good luck.

ESPN3. All racing, almost all the time..
And the FF feature if you start late makes it that much more fun!

ESPN3. All racing, almost all the time..
And the FF feature if you start late makes it that much more fun!

I like the coverage on espn3, in fact, I have sung it's praises because it more raw, less princess for a day stuff and more racing and track action, but it is still the internet. No matter how good my broadband is, the quality of the picture is always better on cable TV, so I usually watch the elims on TV.

Nothing. From mid-September on, football forces the qualifying coverage to move to 2am in the morning. You can record it, of course, but by the time you get around to watching it the Sunday finals are already on.

I agree, espn 3 is the only thing I watch...I just wish they would put the track announcers feed on during the sportsman stuff...the Friday night show is still my favorite...I like the layed back feel from the announcers.

I agree, espn 3 is the only thing I watch...I just wish they would put the track announcers feed on during the sportsman stuff...the Friday night show is still my favorite...I like the layed back feel from the announcers.

And for us- great.

For the "target audience" (whatever that may be), some more may be the reason they tune in to the televised show. The small track visits, the sounds of the strip, the behind the rope pit stuff- it's good for those that aren't just there for two goin down...

Why leave ESPN? Granted the scheduling sucks during college football season, but NHRA would be crazy to shop TV rights at this point in time. As is, NHRA has to pay ESPN to broadcast the races. With ABC/ESPN dropping NASCAR, this could be a positive step forward. Everyone needs to face reality, no major TV/Cable network is going to prioritize NHRA over NFL, NCAA, NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NHL, or UFC. MAVTV isn't a viable option due to the number of households it's not available in, the current deal is better from that standpoint. ESPN3 is a great outlet, but it's very limited. The Friday night Qualifying shows are quite simply the best drag racing shows around. However, going to ESPN3 for everything would almost be like having no TV deal at all.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back