The AJ Effect (1 Viewer)

Buns

Nitro Member
It's amazing that the top fuel cars that ranked from #1 through #5 in the points, and the only cars that we're real competitive, have been touched by Alan Johnson in one way or another. Obviously his tune up drives the Al-Anabi cars. I wouldn't be surprised if the DSR cars still operate off of an AJ baseline, as well.

I was talking to my Dad and said that Austin Coil and Alan Johnson are the two best tuners in the sport of drag racing. There have been a lot of other really good tuners and some that are coming up but as it sits now, Austin and Alan are the best.

I was just thinking pretty much the same thing. If you wanted proof of the value of the crew chief, I'm not sure you could do anything more clearer of an experiment than:

- Start with a team that won so many top fuel titles, and several consecutively, that it was considered a dynasty. People talked about the crew chief as a genius, and the driver as so consistent as to be a machine. Pure dominance.

- Take that crew chief and put him in charge of a separate team and give him a new driver who had experience but not in this class of car.

- Give the "driver's" team an experienced crew chief who had worked under the dominant one, but never run his own team.

- Both teams had essentially unlimited funds, access to the same technology, use the same rules, had other teammates to serve as test beds and blockers, and in most other ways were comparable.

- The team with the crew chief goes on to win the championship, and the one with the driver doesn't even win a race.

I think that's about as controlled an experiment as you can get. What it tells me is that if I'm looking to win in pro drag racing, I spend my money on the crew chief.

I was just thinking pretty much the same thing. If you wanted proof of the value of the crew chief, I'm not sure you could do anything more clearer of an experiment than:

- Start with a team that won so many top fuel titles, and several consecutively, that it was considered a dynasty. People talked about the crew chief as a genius, and the driver as so consistent as to be a machine. Pure dominance.

- Take that crew chief and put him in charge of a separate team and give him a new driver who had experience but not in this class of car.

- Give the "driver's" team an experienced crew chief who had worked under the dominant one, but never run his own team.

- Both teams had essentially unlimited funds, access to the same technology, use the same rules, had other teammates to serve as test beds and blockers, and in most other ways were comparable.

- The team with the crew chief goes on to win the championship, and the one with the driver doesn't even win a race.

I think that's about as controlled an experiment as you can get. What it tells me is that if I'm looking to win in pro drag racing, I spend my money on the crew chief.

Great stuff.

It just shows how incredibly talented Alan is. He was born to make these cars go really, really fast.

don't forget mike green's accomplishments managing this baseline and
tuning tony to a championship the first year after AJ left DSR.
that was very impressive.....tuner & driver.

What will be really interesting, if the rumors are true and the new Lucas team will be Larry and Morgan driving and Alan managing for owner Forrest, is that we will see if Morgan can drive a great car or if he will end up firing Alan.

What will be really interesting, if the rumors are true and the new Lucas team will be Larry and Morgan driving and Alan managing for owner Forrest, is that we will see if Morgan can drive a great car or if he will end up firing Alan.

now that is sum funny chit rite der' :D

That would be the worst decision imaginable. But stranger things...

Not hating but.... if that were to be the case he might as well just quit driving.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back