Al-Anabi out at AJR (1 Viewer)

I likened this whole deal to selling your soul to the devil. Lots of shoddy deals made while having people by the balls. Anyone that had dealings with the Sheikh I'd say is just lucky to be back on US soil.
"Shoddy deals" I agree with, however, I didn't see much of anything in there that indicated anybody's lives were threatened. It wasn't selling your soul to the devil, it was just more a deal of playing with house money. I think Terry summed it up perfectly...

All the talk about the "rich kid taking his football and going home" bothers me a little. Yes, for whatever reason, the Al-Anabi well has gone dry. Does that diminish the good his money did for drag racing while he was here? I kinda look at it this way....If a wealthy gentleman would come to me and say, "I will finance a pro stock ride for you completely for at least one season", as George said, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If it only lasted that one year, then at least his generosity gave me one year at the top. If it went more seasons, then I'm really lucky. When it did end, I wouldn't be saying my rich benefactor took his money and left me high and dry. I'd be saying, "well, he's gone, but at least I had a hell of a ride while he was here!"

A championship Top Fuel team available for signage. Alan Johnson overseeing. A championship run in the making for 2015 for whatever company would choose to sponsor. And the price tag isn't the steepest in motorsports. This vacancy and the time it takes to fill may give us a subtle hint about the state of the NHRA as an advertising business model. Or maybe we've seen this play out? Maybe we already know? A vacancy of this magnitude and quality of equipment and personnel would have been a corporate advertising dream in 1999. Wishing all parties involved the best of luck. Owner. Driver. Crew.

Andy; In my opinion, any time you step foot on sand. Your life is in danger.

You really think AJ, Dixon, Brandon Bernstien, Shawn Langdon, and a host of others were in danger? Really?

I am just sitting back and waiting for everyone to convict AJ of being a terrorist for his association of the Sheik. I know it's coming. It's the mater.

But by god, Evan Knoll, good ol' American born Evan Knoll, he was a good guy.

Greg; Yes I do. Any time an American is in the Middle East the danger potential increases.

So, do you think AJ and the rest of those guys were employed under the threat of death? Or is AJ a terrorist because he was hangin out with terrorists?

AJ should be banned from the NHRA, right?

I have never read so much idiocy.

The nazis were Germans but not all Germans were nazis. It's just unfornate that the majority get a rap rap because of the actions of a minority.

Well, it appears that some want a pure, lilly white drag racing community, so they might be welcomed with open arms.

no news out of santa maria.i believe ajr will be just fine.hell,balooshi has the money to fund the teams for the next few years.havent heard of anybody gettin they're walking papers.would kinda like to know what happened with del and dixon.we may never find out.del's a friend of mine and its closed mouth all the way

Alright guys, lets get his back on track. Lets not jump to wild conspiracies. AJ is a sharp guy and knows what he is doing.

Alright guys, lets get his back on track. Lets not jump to wild conspiracies. AJ is a sharp guy and knows what he is doing.

No, he is in danger. I read it here.

Why should we forget what people are saying in this thread? Because it is uncomfortable? It has been sprinkled amongst the thread, so lets discuss it.

Well Im betting that AJ will run maybe 2-3 races without sponsors just to court possible sponsors, remember half of the teams out there run his Heads!

Someone please fill me in on the timeline here. Alan was available and had nothing but his brains.The shiek had money. They bought all the equipment + crew need to run. The sheik quits-Alan still has the cars-haulers tools etc.
Am I getting this right? Because boy-that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Just to be clear here, and to get the foot off of the "rhetoric throttle", my response to Harry was specific to the DRO article and the stories presented by Kenny Nowling. And because this is a drag racing website, and a drag racing topic, I was only referring to that. I certainly sit far away from the line of stereotyping every person from that region of the globe, but I don't think stuffing words into other people's mouths is productive to the topic at hand. I'm glad Nitromater has a Politics forum, and you'll notice that I'm not even a part of it...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back