Al-Anabi out at AJR (2 Viewers)

Mike, a portion of the need for rate increases is because Edison is required to purchase all excess solar and wind power. Solar and wind power is not yet competitive with other sources of generation - it is much higher. They have to purchase it at a rate higher than they are allowed to sell it at.
Regardless, I hope your solar business continues to be successful as the utility rebates have stopped as the utilities in California have met the goals they were required to meet and no longer have to provide rebates.

Last edited:
At $50 per barrel, the oil companies are still making money, they are just not making as much money as they have grown accustomed to and it could slow sector growth short term. If they weren't making money, they would stop pumping and buy from the Saudis (last I heard, and this was a solid 5-7 years ago, that the break even point on a barrel of oil where it becomes cheaper to buy than to produce from proven wells is around $22/barrel) .

Another thing to consider, is that the prices could go right back up as quickly as they came down, it is a VERY volatile market (all we need is another fake war in the Middle East or another spill in the Gulf or a butterfly flapping it's wings in Alaska) ... If I had a few million laying around I would be buying oil futures from all of the bridge jumpers.

I think Kalid was told to stop his endless spending on anything and everything he wanted regardless whether it made money or not. I just hope that everyone who he sponsored got all the money they were owed.
As Alan Johnson said they were getting ready for testing. So obviously he had already purchased whatever he needed for at least part of 2015. Wonder how much money he has already spent that he probably will not get paid for?
Terry, Edison doesnt take into consideration all the customer who are on D-Care or empty homes when they figure their averages. If you take a average Edison customer they were paying in 2001 about .13 kwh and now that figure is close to .22kwh. That is a pretty good rate increase. By the way, I'm in the solar business so please keep those rate increases coming.:)
Thats only a .09/kwh increase over a 14 year period which is a very small increase. Anyway we need to put this to bed and get back to drag racing related things.

Though I don't think this is a direct result of it, as I agree with others in that Daddy yanked the keys of the 'vettte' from the son born with a silver spoon tired of his antics, we have to once again question the offices in Glendora.

What exactly are the suits in those offices doing to properly promote the sport so that it generates the fanfare/attention needed to land a dependable sponsor by these team owners that are constantly busting their a**es trying to land?

Unless and until Glendora changes their ways, we'll continue to see the Sheiks, Knolls, etc. of the world.... And I know those situations are different, but they are the same with regards to long term dependability.

Once again, wake up Glendora!

Just my $.02

Terry, keep in mind that edison was only giving solar customers the wholesale price the excess power and my rates are very competitive and we also dont have tiers. One rate for your power can make a huge difference to a customers bill. Rebates as I'm sure you know were only for the people that purchased a system so it really didnt hurt me.

.09 is almost double. That is pretty stout!

Last edited:
Though I don't think this is a direct result of it, as I agree with others in that Daddy yanked the keys of the 'vettte' from the son born with a silver spoon tired of his antics, we have to once again question the offices in Glendora.

What exactly are the suits in those offices doing to properly promote the sport so that it generates the fanfare/attention needed to land a dependable sponsor by these team owners that are constantly busting their a**es trying to land?

Unless and until Glendora changes their ways, we'll continue to see the Sheiks, Knolls, etc. of the world.... And I know those situations are different, but they are the same with regards to long term dependability.

Just my $.02

While I agree that NHRA management is reactive rather than proactive about some things, I don't think this one can be put on them. A very wealthy individual wants to splash some money around the Pro Pits, what do you want NHRA to do? Audit his books? Ask to see long term business plans first? Give him a lie detector test? Tell the teams not to take his money? Remember, the Sheikh had been splashing around money in the small tire and Pro Mod world for quite a while before he got involved with AJR. It's not like he was an unknown quantity that just appeared out of thin air.

Even if every Pro team had Fortune 500 sponsors it wouldn't stop them from taking more money from someone that wants to give it to them.

Just my $.02

Al Anabi pulling out is not NHRA's doing. And people who try and paint it that way aren't rational.

Neither was that crooked bastard Evan Knoll NHRA's fault. He pulled out because he was a criminal and got caught.

I was speaking on the overall health of the NHRA, which is currently poor at best, and how it relates to this situation. As I mentioned in my post, not a direct result of this situation.

Audit his books? Give him a lie detector test? Of course not. How about we start with people at Glendora that know to strategize and attract sponsorship revenue from reputable company's on US soil. Not from a source that's interest/commitment was questioned from day one.

As an owner or driver, would I accept money from a Sheik in Qatar to race? You're damn right I would.

Is this a successful NHRA business model for years of growth and viability? Clearly not.

Again, as I prefaced in my initial post, I know that this situation is not as a direct result of Glendora, but I do think there is a correlation between reputable sponsorship and what Glendora is, and is not doing, to attract it.

At the end of they day, the NHRA should be doing more to attract known, reputable, viable, American sponsors so that teams do not have to accept deals from foreign oil countries and end up with these type of situations because of it.

Last edited:
At the end of they day, the NHRA should be doing more to attract known, reputable, viable, American sponsors so that teams do not have to accept deals from foreign oil countries and end up with these type of situations because of it.

From my last post:

Even if every Pro team had Fortune 500 sponsors it wouldn't stop them from taking more money from someone that wants to give it to them.

From my last post:

Thank you for the follow-up, but I respectfully disagree in part.

Do I think some teams would accept more money while sacrificing long term security? Of course, but I'll bet most owners who have a viable racing business models would rather take the secure, reputable deal, while taking less money, than to end up like the AJ and the Al Anabi crews that are now unexpectedly searching for work right before the onset of preseason testing.

Thank you for the follow-up, but I respectfully disagree in part.

Do I think some teams would accept more money while sacrificing long term security? Of course, but I'll bet most owners who have a viable racing business models would rather take the secure, reputable deal, while taking less money, than to end up like the AJ and the Al Anabi crews that are now unexpectedly searching for work right before the onset of preseason testing.

I appreciate your civility Michael, but I will also respectfully disagree.

In my estimation, there are NO team owners that would turn down the type of money the Sheikh was offering, no matter how viable their racing operation. There is ALWAYS something to spend your money on in racing ... most teams would have added cars, crews and elaborate shops where they built bespoke/proprietary parts ...

What about Dixon and Worsham? Were they let go by Al Anabi or did they quit on their own? Never did get a clear cut answer on that.

I appreciate your civility Michael, but I will also respectfully disagree.

In my estimation, there are NO team owners that would turn down the type of money the Sheikh was offering, no matter how viable their racing operation. There is ALWAYS something to spend your money on in racing ... most teams would have added cars, crews and elaborate shops where they built bespoke/proprietary parts ...

Maybe this situation will be the example that changes that, and maybe not.

Just my $.02

Glendora isn't at fault there with Al-Anabi
I would have ridden that horse myself. A foreign oil rich kid wants to play at the NHRA playground. Are you going to tell him to get out of the sandbox?
I guarantee Alan Johnson is smart enough to know how his toast was being buttered, and prepared for this sudden departure right from day 1.

The Knoll thing was different.
Read back at the sponsored racers who knew full well that the guy was a criminal, but heaped the "get well buddy" posts up and defended him, and crucified those who called the dirt bag out when Helen Keller could see the whole picture as clear as day....

Alan Johnson will survive. He will attract a great sponsor because his character and business like approach warrants the best potential opportunity to invest in the NHRA.
It's the guys who were sponsored by Knoll, who took the dirty money and defended that guy?..
Those are the guys who you don't race anymore.
Birds of a feather..

All the talk about the "rich kid taking his football and going home" bothers me a little. Yes, for whatever reason, the Al-Anabi well has gone dry. Does that diminish the good his money did for drag racing while he was here? I kinda look at it this way....If a wealthy gentleman would come to me and say, "I will finance a pro stock ride for you completely for at least one season", as George said, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If it only lasted that one year, then at least his generosity gave me one year at the top. If it went more seasons, then I'm really lucky. When it did end, I wouldn't be saying my rich benefactor took his money and left me high and dry. I'd be saying, "well, he's gone, but at least I had a hell of a ride while he was here!"

All the talk about the "rich kid taking his football and going home" bothers me a little. Yes, for whatever reason, the Al-Anabi well has gone dry. Does that diminish the good his money did for drag racing while he was here? I kinda look at it this way....If a wealthy gentleman would come to me and say, "I will finance a pro stock ride for you completely for at least one season", as George said, I'd take it in a heartbeat. If it only lasted that one year, then at least his generosity gave me one year at the top. If it went more seasons, then I'm really lucky. When it did end, I wouldn't be saying my rich benefactor took his money and left me high and dry. I'd be saying, "well, he's gone, but at least I had a hell of a ride while he was here!"

I hear what you're saying Terry, and I agree. I think the problem most of us have is the sudden withdrawal so close to the season opener. In your example, yes it would be nice to be set up for even just one year. But, that's different because you know it'll be gone next year and can plan for it. Like most have said, this may have just been a hobby for him, but a lot of people put food on the table with his money and when it's gone so suddenly stuff can start getting serious.

I hear what you're saying Terry, and I agree. I think the problem most of us have is the sudden withdrawal so close to the season opener. In your example, yes it would be nice to be set up for even just one year. But, that's different because you know it'll be gone next year and can plan for it. Like most have said, this may have just been a hobby for him, but a lot of people put food on the table with his money and when it's gone so suddenly stuff can start getting serious.

Again, why is anyone surprised or taken aback?
Consider who the Shiekh is.. No disrespect here.
This is a middle eastern super platinum spooner family.

Has anyone ever met someone from the Shiekhs ultra rich middle eastern culture, or anyone with that amount of wealth ever worried about the little guy thinks, or who it effects?
If we were raised with such overwhelming wealth and opulence, we may not care either.

Everyone working under that scenerio should have known that the balloon could pop at the second the kid became bored with the sport, or his family wanted to leverage the kid the way they saw fit.
If the team or employees didn't consider this, shame on them.

I'm surprised everybody is focusing on the oil money...

As shown in a previous post, look at the HOLDINGS they now have due to that oil money.

Cash at hand is not an issue thanks to at least half of those investments.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back