TAFC numbers (1 Viewer)

I understand that the two most driver intensive classes in the NHRA are TAFC and pro stock ... i guess I see TAFC as more of a destination class than a stepping stone class.

If injected nitro funny car were to be introduced it would likely be the death of TAFC for the traditional car. I think its apples and oranges from a driver standpoint.

Almost anything can be a not for profit ... all it means is that there is no equity owners and that the net left over goes to charity annually (e.g. most not for profits DO NOT qualify under IRC Section 501(c)(3) although many seem to think they all do and use that 1% they understand about such as the basis for all not for profits). Some people confuse this for people needing to donate their time to work there. People also tend to think since nobody owns the equity, then they should personally have a say in how things are done. What a laugh. Just like a regular corporation the executives at the corporation are in command unless the representatives of the equity holders (e.g. the board of directors) say otherwise. Of course there is no restriction in speaking your mind without understanding the topic you have an opinion about.

Last edited:
Please share the numbers.
The head of Planned Parenthood, Cecil Richards, made $520,000 as of a couple years ago. Revenues are listed from $229M up to $1.3B if you add in the government kicks in some $500M. So, I don't know exactly WHAT their revenue is but is sure more than NHRA's revenue and her salary is much less.

The head of Planned Parenthood, Cecil Richards, made $520,000 as of a couple years ago. Revenues are listed from $229M up to $1.3B if you add in the government kicks in some $500M. So, I don't know exactly WHAT their revenue is but is sure more than NHRA's revenue and her salary is much less.

Not sure where you obtained the numbers for Cecile, but in a 2017 article, her salary was stated as being $957,952, which is consistent with mentions in other articles.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/report-planned-parenthood-hq-average-exec-salary-389-514

As for Peter Clifford, the latest salary number I could find was from the NHRA’s 2016 Form 990, which shows a salary of $868,885.

And sorry to disappoint, but focusing on revenue as the basis for how well an executive is doing his or her job is just the wrong approach.

I think injected nitro would be an excellent addition to the class. It would provide a better stepping stone to big show nitro funny car than the blown alcohol funny cars do.
Do you know witch one is more expensive to run. I would think injected I heard one time that nitro cost 100 bucks a gallon !

Pretty much everyone loves nitro including me. But I absolutely love the sound and smell of a blown alcohol funny car making a run and even more watching and listening to a good warm up in the pits. Been watching these cars for a lot of years and saw the likes of the Boston Strangler, Bell Boys, Cape Codder and Frank Manzo (when his car had Ace Manzo on the side) put on shows that I will always remember. Keep it alcohol and blowers, that's what a TA/FC is.

We have been pushed by a number of our friends to step up to TAD. If I were to do so (which I'm about 75% certain I won't ... I being the paying I, Jenifer being the driver), I am certain I would go the injected nitro route. The engines are far from on kill and the driver's job is much more straightforward...by now 99% of my wife's runs on a drag strip are in a TD on a transbrake, I just don't see her going through the whole blown alky procedure when you only get 2 qualifying passes in divisionals .... just no time to get used to the complexity of the burnout, staging, and shifting. We've been offered a chance to give it a try several times. Blown alcohol is a really cool thing, but it takes a highly skilled driver.

I assume she'll get her license, and I think there is at least a 50% odds we'll buy a ride for 8 or 10 races .... but I don't think the bug is gonna catch me enough to stick with it. Now if Jen could only be like Annie and be a TAFC bad ass .... that would be cool ... a lot like winning the lotto in a couple of hours!

We have been pushed by a number of our friends to step up to TAD. If I were to do so (which I'm about 75% certain I won't ... I being the paying I, Jenifer being the driver), I am certain I would go the injected nitro route. The engines are far from on kill and the driver's job is much more straightforward...by now 99% of my wife's runs on a drag strip are in a TD on a transbrake, I just don't see her going through the whole blown alky procedure when you only get 2 qualifying passes in divisionals .... just no time to get used to the complexity of the burnout, staging, and shifting. We've been offered a chance to give it a try several times. Blown alcohol is a really cool thing, but it takes a highly skilled driver.

I assume she'll get her license, and I think there is at least a 50% odds we'll buy a ride for 8 or 10 races .... but I don't think the bug is gonna catch me enough to stick with it. Now if Jen could only be like Annie and be a TAFC bad ass .... that would be cool ... a lot like winning the lotto in a couple of hours!
Jeff, out of curiosity, what does a rent a ride cost per race? This is something I always wanted to do.

Jeff, you know you are running quicker in T/D than back when it became a seperate class (after Pro Comp went away). Ah, the technology....

If standing close to a TAFC at full throttle on the starting line doesn't get your heart pumping, nothing will.
I realize not many people get to do that. But, if you ever get the chance, take it. You'll want more TAFCs after that.

I think Nunzio is about as close as one can accurately say. We are committed to drag racing 3 or 4 more years. When we feel like we've peaked with our ability to advance our TD program we'd like to try injected nitro TAD for a season. I think the deal is much different if you come to an established team that wants to expand this way up front with payment than if you buy a race here or there. I'd like to participate in the pits and see if this is something we'd ever want to do as a private team. Otherwise, I think we'll try to turn the drag racing addiction into the weekend rodeo circuit with my wife back barrel racing and me and my son likely team roping. Got to have a reason to wake up ever morning! Our rock crawler(s) and Lemons endurance racing will certainly be in the mix too .... can't get out of the mechanical hobbies.

I think Nunzio is about as close as one can accurately say. We are committed to drag racing 3 or 4 more years. When we feel like we've peaked with our ability to advance our TD program we'd like to try injected nitro TAD for a season. I think the deal is much different if you come to an established team that wants to expand this way up front with payment than if you buy a race here or there. I'd like to participate in the pits and see if this is something we'd ever want to do as a private team. Otherwise, I think we'll try to turn the drag racing addiction into the weekend rodeo circuit with my wife back barrel racing and me and my son likely team roping. Got to have a reason to wake up ever morning! Our rock crawler(s) and Lemons endurance racing will certainly be in the mix too .... can't get out of the mechanical hobbies.
Hey Jeff, I got caught up on a little ND reading, and wanted to say it was great to see a lot of coverage for you and Jennifer from her Mid-West Nats win. Your car is badass, I think Spitzer builds some of the best TD cars out there. I've toyed with the idea of a AA/A that could run both Comp and TD, but I'm sure as a successful TD competitor you would think an altered in TD is not the best idea, LOL.

Hey Jeff, I got caught up on a little ND reading, and wanted to say it was great to see a lot of coverage for you and Jennifer from her Mid-West Nats win. Your car is badass, I think Spitzer builds some of the best TD cars out there. I've toyed with the idea of a AA/A that could run both Comp and TD, but I'm sure as a successful TD competitor you would think an altered in TD is not the best idea, LOL.
Thanks Nunz! Unfortunately on Sunday I belatedly found out that we hurt the motor pretty bad on that .002 red E1 pass in Ennis. Had finished getting the RV and trailer ready for Vegas testing the the divisional, going through the valves and #5 had zero pushrods under the rockers. #5 exhaust pushrod broke .... not particularly unusual, but unfortunately the top half of the pushrod got up underneath the open intake rocker... the cam lobe went back down and that pushrod dropped out, then the valve springs stopped pushing the valve closed because of the log jam and the piston finished the job. Bent the billet steel rocker base but didn't hurt the head and the valve stayed in one piece .... but I'm certain its ready to break and we just decided to end the season there and have Nickens get the engine ready for next year. I will have to give Nickens appropriate credit here .... he said he would do whatever it took to get me an engine back by this Friday so we could leave on time. I just had too much going at work for the additional time investment on my side and my son's new business has some huge commitments that Jen and I can help him with. Oh well.

Comp is a dream for me. It's just at the extreme end of a skill set that I barely possess. Part of the allure of rock crawling is building cheap LS motors and getting competent at it with fairly low risk and cost. Building a comp power plant takes real skill that I don't have. I'd be fine on the chassis and crew chief side, but horsepower and switching Jen to bottom bulb racing is just too big a step for us.

I still need to dig that ND issue out of the pile at my desk. Somebody sent me a pic of it, but I haven't read it yet. We find nationals very hard to win, so it was a big deal for us to get past #1, #5, and #6 in 5 rounds of racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back