Where are all the cars? (1 Viewer)

Clark W.

Nitro Member
Car counts at Pomona are eerily low. 20 Top Fuel, 19 Funny Car, 18 Pro Stock, 15 TAD, 14, TAFC, 28 Comp and mid 60's in SS and Stock. Seems to me that at the first race of the year, with all the hype and anticipation, the car count should be stronger. Hope this not a sign of what is in store for the season........

Car counts at Pomona are eerily low. 20 Top Fuel, 19 Funny Car, 18 Pro Stock, 15 TAD, 14, TAFC, 28 Comp and mid 60's in SS and Stock. Seems to me that at the first race of the year, with all the hype and anticipation, the car count should be stronger. Hope this not a sign of what is in store for the season........

I'm sure the economy might have something to do with it! Not to mention Gas prices!:rolleyes:

comparing it to the entry list

EL ATT Change
TF 20 20 none
FC 21 19 -2
PS 19 18 -1
TAD 15 15 none
TAFC 15 14 -1
Comp 28 28 none

so you have 3 categories that didn't really change and the other 3 had gone down at most 2 cars, It was a lackluster car count anyways so it's no surprise to me. When we go to Gainesville I'm Certain the Car Count will be better.

When I was walking to the front gate yesterday, the one thing I noticed was that the end rows of the pits were empty. Probably 4 rows that are normally filled, were non-existent.

The fact that there are more than 16 cars in each pro category is really surprising, given how bad things are, and how hard it is to get any corporate dollars. As far as the sportsman cars, well, we all know those are VERY expensive cars to run. Many are self-employed people. Unemployment is horribly high, as are gas prices. Not exactly a perfect storm for record numbers of entries anywhere!

There are 21 Funny Cars. Diehl and Day didn't run Thursday.

The weather. Many racers probably figured Fri-Sat would be lost to rain, and they may be right. If I were a little-guy sportsman racer, I'd stay home before I'd chance having to sit around for two days in 45-degree rain, after towing 2000 miles - wouldn't you?

I'm sure many folks aren't real happy about the first 4 races.

Pomona, then 3000 miles to Gainesville, then 3000 miles to Vegas, then 3000 miles to Charlotte.

That's a LOT of $$$...no matter who you are.

Last edited:
Seems to me Pomona 1 is usually lightly attended compared to Pomona 2. The way it was explained to me is that it is still winter time for most of the country, and the sportsman guys like to have a national event or 2 at the end of the year to claim points at if they have a good Summer ...

Pomona, then 3000 miles to Gainesville, then 3000 miles to Vegas, then 3000 miles to Charlotte.

Thanks a LOT of $$$...no matter who you are.

Don't forget the 1500/2000 miles to get to Pomona in the first place...

d'kid

Thanks a LOT of $$$...no matter who you are.

did Dotes racing show up??? There press release said they were doing 12 events minimum,with the first being Pomona

I'm sure the economy might have something to do with it! Not to mention Gas prices!:rolleyes:
Yup and as long as "Expert Analysts" keep over hyping the mid-east situations and thier potential effects on oil, we are the victims. Gas here in CT jumped $0.15 last night at almost every station I normally drive by ... $3.50 and climbing. I am sure there are many states much higher than that.

Yup and as long as "Expert Analysts" keep over hyping the mid-east situations and thier potential effects on oil, we are the victims. Gas here in CT jumped $0.15 last night at almost every station I normally drive by ... $3.50 and climbing. I am sure there are many states much higher than that.

Right Jim! Funny how they always raise the $$$ at the hint of problems, but never give it back to us.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back