Suggestions, contacts or ideas needed (2 Viewers)

lmhb oyf

Nitro Member
As many of you know and some don't my son was born with a form of Muscular Dystrophy.

We're both huge NHRA fans and I'm in need of some advice from the community on a project I'd like to get rolling.

We all know that the Super Bowl of the NHRA is the US Nationals and is held Labor Day weekend.

Coincidentally, so is the MDA's annual Labor Day telethon.

I'd like to somehow tie these two events together and somehow use the US Nationals as a way to help raise money for the MDA that weekend.

Keep in mind that this is not a way to raise money specifically for Kevin but for the MDA as a whole. A lot of good research is going on and as his neurologiost has told us....if the next 15 years go as well as the previous 15 years have gone, a cure is a real possibility. Obviously that can't happen without funding.

It's a perfect opportunity as all would agree and I know that in the past drivers and teams have helped this cause at various races.

Jungle Jim Lieberman was a big supporter of the MDA in his day and I know David Baca has done some wonderful things for some kids as recently as last season.

I'd like to get the NHRA behind this and have thought of a couple of ideas but have no idea how to get the ball rolling or whom to ask.

It'd be a win-win situation for the NHRA and the MDA.

Thoughts suggestions?

Mods....would you mind making this a sticky thread?

Thanks in advance folks.

Here's my idea...

The NHRA helps us wragle up some sponsors willing to donate (for sake of arguement) $5000 a peice to the MDA, and each one of those sponsors gets to brand the hood of an alcohol funny car at the U.S. Nationals. The Alky funny car field will - for the weekend - be the "MDA Shootout."

That way you don't have to upset any of the top fuel sponsors, the alky guys are glad to have th TV time and the companies that get involved get a little plug on national TV to go along with their philanthropic (i.e. tax deductible) contribution.

Thank you! I'll be waiting for my check in the mail!

John Siragusa @ the NHRA is the person you want to contact. A good guy that has always come-through for special situations for us....phone number: 626-914-4761

I might be way off base with this, but......maybe the track owner could get the local fire Dept. to do part of the boot drive at the track? It seems they do pretty well with that at every intersection. If they charge for parking, perhaps a fireman right behind the parking money dude or dudette.

Dan

Or better yet, if they charge for parking, donate it all.........................charging for parking is just greedy anyways!

I really like Jimmy Hart's idea!

Drew, I've been a volunteer with the Tulsa chapter of the MDA for 17-18 years, the patients and their families amaze me every day with their strength and courage.
I think Dan Lea has an awesome idea, and let's take the Fill-the-Boot one step further: how about Fill-the-Fire Boot. Can you image the donations that would come from J.R. Todd, Brandon Bernstein (Big time connection with A-B/Budweiser), Greg Anderson, Jay Payne, Morgan Lucas, Andrew Hinds (HD is one of the MDA's biggest supporters), Alexis DeJoria, etc circulating thru the stands and pits!

Here's an idea...a few years ago they were selling US Nats bracelets where money was donated to Katrina relief...MDA US nats bracelets sure sounds like a winner!

I might be way off base with this, but......maybe the track owner could get the local fire Dept. to do part of the boot drive at the track? It seems they do pretty well with that at every intersection. If they charge for parking, perhaps a fireman right behind the parking money dude or dudette.

Dan

Great Idea, especially since the NHRA owns the track

I like the fire boot idea... Simple and easy to pull off.

or (tougher)

make the donation on air "live" from the race.

Good PR for everyone - and most importantly for a great cause

Drew
I can't help with NHRA but if you are ever in the Chicago area stop race control at RT66 I'll stick the mic in your hand and let you plug what you are doing.

Stacy

Firefighters and the MDA have a long history, filling the boot at the U.S. Nationals would be a huge idea. I would contact the local F.D., reach out for their MDA coordinator, every department usually has one. Let the F.D. and the local MDA rep help you pitch this to the track operator and the NHRA, in this case one and the same. They could station people at the entrances to the track, the take would be huge. Maybe some banners and signage. You might even be able to find a Pro Team to carry some logos.

As a retired career Firefighter I think I can speculate that the above mentioned folks would be receptive. I know that the little department I worked for would have a massive turnout and has raised over 10k standing at intersections, imagine what they could do at the U.S. Nationals.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back