Speed's Driver Of The Year Program Is A JOKE (1 Viewer)

curious....I've seen the posts that hail NASCAR drivers as some sort of pinnacle of driving ability. Stewart and Gordon aside, the rest of them routinely stand in awe of, and often get their a$$es handed to them by true drivers. I speak of Sportscar, Openwheel and Rally drivers. True drivers. Left and Right, off-camber apex followed by a decreasing radius turn going into a half mile straight. I have seen and heard the NASCAR set goober-up when faced with true driving talent. Just this past year they were finally exposed to Austrailian V-8 racing, and were aghast at their ability.

To be fair, I am sure there's more natural driving talent in the NASCAR pool, as there is fewer in the Openwheel set than my comments may suggest (especially Indycar where some drivers are good on ovals and not on the other direction)....but I am equally sure there's as many natural drivers in drag racing. A natural to me is someone that gets into a vehicle and can connect with it, and through that connection, get the utmost out of the car, no matter the venue.

I think drag racing is different, and I think we all understand that. Technical, engineering and mechanical talent plays such a large part in a performance. I think more-so because it's boiled down to such a pure mixture through it's distance and time it takes to complete a lap. There's not 200 laps to absorb subtle mistakes. It's one lap, no mistakes, or fewest mistakes win. It's a sport of perfection unlike any other. Often looked at as easy, most folks see a straight track and assume there's no driving going on, but we know there's some serious driving going on. Someone has to react to a starting system. Someone has to keep the car in the groove, someone has to counteract all the inertia. Someone has to make the straightest line out of a vehicle that wants to do anything but. Yes, there's been great cars that tracked like a slotcar, but again, that goes back to the technical excellence.

Drag racing is different, and it's hard to compare to other motorsports, and that's just the way I like it.

Last edited:
Interesting view.......I've got an idea for next year. I'll go down the road and talk to Jack about leasing one of his Fords for the Daytona 500, I'll own the entrant and you'll drive. Winning Daytona will be a piece of cake, Hendrick, Roush, Gibbs, and Childress won't know what hit them. With that accomplished I'll go a little further down the road and convince Chip Ganassi to loan me one of his Dallara Hondas for the month of May. And, if you're interested you can drive. Think about it, you'll have the rarest opportuniity ever in motorsports, a true rookie winning the Daytona 500, and the Indy 500 in the same calander year. It'll be the greatest accomplishment in auto racing history. I'm convinced you can win with ease. You can have all the fame and glory with your share of the winnings, heck you could start up your own mega team in the NHRA with all your success, and if you do it right, wouldn't even have to spend a dime of your own money. I'll just be content with the owners trophies from two of the biggest races on the motor racing calander, and of course my share of the loot. Then again, maybe I'll go Stock or Super Stock racing.

I see the kind of approach your taking here. What's so amazing about this I know what Kenseth and Dario did, I know the story. There proven drivers in their sport and they got to do what they did because of that. All they did was win their sports biggest race. Why should that be any more glorified than any driver in the NHRA winning Indy each season? Yes, they accomplished. Is it tremendous? I don't see it.

I was actually trying to have some fun and ended up being a smart ass about it. Not really my intent.

Matt Kenseth
Dario
Jimmy Johnson

I view these as simple. Jimmy Johnson winning 200 for Hendrick. Someone had to do it. If that moment's worthy of nomination I want DSR's 200 win driver to be equally nominated.

But, to be fair you did say that it was simple.

Great post Kevin

I was actually trying to have some fun and ended up being a smart ass about it. Not really my intent.

But, to be fair you did say that it was simple.

Great post Kevin

Im fine with it and yes I did say that 100%. Again, it's maybe more of a case that i'm tired of the NHRA getting no kinda notice. Yea, it's better but it's not even the beginning of getting anywhere. I guess i'm just tired of it being where any driver that wins the Daytona 500 gets an entire year of publicity when it comes to awards like this in comparison to anyone that wins Indy gets no publicity at all.

The only time NHRA drivers get nominated for anything big is when they are having a killer season and winning close to 70 rounds + when Nascar drivers can get nominated for all the awards while being somewhat average. Drag racing season should have more weight in the recognition fields, but I am sure all of that has to be about how corporate america really does not take us too seriously up against Nascar. Our attendance and TV numbers for sure dont help outside popularity of the NHRA.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back