Schumacher wins 3rd quarter driver of the year, but..... (1 Viewer)

NHRAMike

Nitro Member
It just amazes me how Sarge wins 6 races in a row in dominating fashion, yet when the ballots were cast for the 3rd quarter DOTY, he can only muster 10 out of the 17 first place votes. In the voting, Schumacher took 10first-place ballots and received votes from the entire panel. With 111 points, he beat Jimmie Johnson who received two first-place votes and only totaled 74 points. Scott Dixon received one first-place vote and totaled 67 points. Carl Edwards was fourth in the voting with one first-place vote. Other drivers who received first-place votes included Kyle Busch and Helio Castroneves. I don't really follow the other two series closely, but I do keep aware of what is going on. Over in the Sprint and Nationwide Series, Busch and Johnson each won 33% of the races during the quarter, and Edwards won another 22%, and in the IRL, Dixon won 43%, and Castroneves won 29%of their individual races, but this really pales in comparison to someone winning 24 consecutive rounds of racing. I guess it really shows how the motorsports media views us compared to the other guys.

Maybe it's because in Drag Racing, the driver isn't as much of a factor in the success of the car than they are in just about every other form of motorsport?

Not raggin' on the Drag Racers either, it's just the facts.

The Sarge is no John Force, which is the problem. He does not relate well with the major fan base. He usually gives the same interview over and over again with minor changes.

I'm sure if just about any other NHRA top fuel driver was driving the Army car under AJ they would have won 24 in a row as well. AJ is the true reason for the success, not Tony.

The Sarge is no John Force, which is the problem. He does not relate well with the major fan base. He usually gives the same interview over and over again with minor changes.

That brings up a good point. This is not to rag on any one driver because the majority of them do it. The top end interviewer should ask the drivers if they have anything USEFUL to say or if they are just going to list their sponsors again. If it's a sponsor run down again, then the interviewer should pass on talking with the driver. I know it's petty, but it gets old after a while.

Wait a minute....I can't totally relate to RC, but that doesn't stop me from being a fan of his. It's not always about total relation to the personality. It's about understanding who they are and what they are trying to accomplish.

I'm not looking to be a fan and appreciate the drive and ambition of someone like ME! I appreciate what my faves bring to the table. Maybe it's living vicariously?

I'm sure if just about any other NHRA top fuel driver was driving the Army car under AJ they would have won 24 in a row as well. AJ is the true reason for the success, not Tony.

BS!!!!! The collective team won, there were plenty of times where Tony won on hole shots or pedaling to keep their streak alive. For example, in Tony's win at E-Town he pedaled the car to a victory in round 1 and in the semi and final rounds he won on hole shots. Another example, Tony won on a hole shot in Somona over Steve Torrence. Get my point!!:mad: Get over yourself and give the entire team credit including Tony!

bs!!!!! The collective team won, there were plenty of times where tony won on hole shots or pedaling to keep their streak alive. For example, in tony's win at e-town he pedaled the car to a victory in round 1 and in the semi and final rounds he won on hole shots. Another example, tony won on a hole shot in somona over steve torrence. Get my point!!:mad: Get over yourself and give the entire team credit including tony!

thank you!!!

I agree with your first sentence 100%.

Regarding the second, i do feel that Tony did play a part, as the whole team did. But you are right in saying that AJ is the main reason for the success of that car.

Why are you guys getting sidetracked beating each other up? TShoe did something phenmonenal and the voters acknowledged it.

Let's enjoy it.

You should factor in how many races Tony would have won if he did not have lane choice. Most of the time lane choice came via Alan.

Oh geeez. C'mon folks, give the guy his due. That whole team is on fire, and he's the one strapped to that missle, so let him enjoy the honor. I'm sure the team shares in his honor with pride.

I don't think anyone is saying that Tony is not one of the better drivers on the circuit, I think that many are simply stating that AJ was the key factor.

I don't think anyone is saying that Tony is not one of the better drivers on the circuit, I think that many are simply stating that AJ was the key factor.

This is a Driver of the Year award and many of you are taking that away from Tony by stating AJ is the main reason. The last time I checked it was Tony in the seat and not AJ. Did Austin Coil get the DOY award and when John won it? Didn't think so, give Tony the credit he deserves. If there was a Crew Chief of the Year award, then AJ would deserve that.

Congratulations to Tony Schumacher the 3rd Quarter DOY.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back