Speed's Driver Of The Year Program Is A JOKE (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
Robert Hight Wins 4 In A Row. No First Quarter Win.
Ron Capps Goes To 5 Finals In A Row. Spencer Massey Has 4 Wins and 27 Round Wins. No Second Quarter Win.

I can't even think of 3 other big highlights for what should of been winners in any other racing this year. Where is the NHRA love? Spencer Massey should be a serious contender for driver of the year, they are on pace to have a high 50 low 60 round win season.

This just might be why NASCAR is what it is and their drivers where they are:

More Fortune 500 companies are involved in NASCAR than in 2008, according to a recent review of brands currently using the sport to drive business. The analysis looked at companies that either sponsor NASCAR teams, tracks, the sanctioning body, or are media partners. The number of current Fortune 500 companies invested in NASCAR (114) remains higher than any other sport. In 2012 alone, more than 24 brands entered the sport, including a handful of Fortune 500 companies. Although being a Fortune 500 company is the gold standard of success for publicly-traded companies in the United States, there are several global corporations currently involved in NASCAR that were not included in the review because they do not meet Fortune's domestic criteria. To be eligible for the Fortune 500, a company must be based in the U.S. and be publicly traded. The companies in consideration actively utilize NASCAR as marketing vehicle through a team, track or NASCAR official sponsorship, licensing agreement and/or a media partnership.

Ever watch the ESPY's?

Not once. I already know for years any drag racer nominated is an automatic loss. I was happy for Del the day he got nominated and I knew not one chance in hell was he gonna win.

This just might be why NASCAR is what it is and their drivers where they are:

More Fortune 500 companies are involved in NASCAR than in 2008, according to a recent review of brands currently using the sport to drive business. The analysis looked at companies that either sponsor NASCAR teams, tracks, the sanctioning body, or are media partners. The number of current Fortune 500 companies invested in NASCAR (114) remains higher than any other sport. In 2012 alone, more than 24 brands entered the sport, including a handful of Fortune 500 companies. Although being a Fortune 500 company is the gold standard of success for publicly-traded companies in the United States, there are several global corporations currently involved in NASCAR that were not included in the review because they do not meet Fortune's domestic criteria. To be eligible for the Fortune 500, a company must be based in the U.S. and be publicly traded. The companies in consideration actively utilize NASCAR as marketing vehicle through a team, track or NASCAR official sponsorship, licensing agreement and/or a media partnership.

Much agreed.

Robert Hight Wins 4 In A Row. No First Quarter Win.
Ron Capps Goes To 5 Finals In A Row. Spencer Massey Has 4 Wins and 27 Round Wins. No Second Quarter Win.

I can't even think of 3 other big highlights for what should of been winners in any other racing this year. Where is the NHRA love? Spencer Massey should be a serious contender for driver of the year, they are on pace to have a high 50 low 60 round win season.

Beauty Pageants and Drifting are tough to handicap, too.

Not once. I already know for years any drag racer nominated is an automatic loss. I was happy for Del the day he got nominated and I knew not one chance in hell was he gonna win.

Much agreed.

Patrick, You actually think Del is even in the same league as Tony Stewart? You must not have watched Stewart almost single handedly win the championship. Sorry but the best driver won.:eek:

Patrick, You actually think Del is even in the same league as Tony Stewart? You must not have watched Stewart almost single handedly win the championship. Sorry but the best driver won.:eek:

I have to agree with you on this one. What Stewart did last year was once in a lifetime.

Just about any NASCAR driver could get in a TF or FC and be competitive in a short period with a good team/crew chief.

Not many TF or FC drivers could get in a good NASCAR and be competitive in short time.

That's just the way it is.

Agreed that Tony Stewart deserved driver of the year for his performance last year but I dont get this one:

Jimmie Johnson was named the Second Quarter Driver of the Year 2012 by the vote of an elite panel of 21 broadcasters and journalists. The five-time Sprint Cup Champion had two NASCAR points wins (Darlington and Dover) coupled with a non-points win in the All-Star race at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the period running from April 22nd to July 1st. In the voting Johnson, who drives the Lowe's #48 Chevyt for Hendrick Motorsports, had six first-place ballots and totaled 81 points according to the Driver of the Year points system. Ryan Hunter-Reay, who had two victories in the period (Milwaukee and Iowa) driving No. 28 Team DHL/Sun Drop Citrus Soda Chevrolet Dallara DW-12, earned two first-place votes and tallied 71 points. Joey Logano, who raced in both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series, had a Sprint Cup victory in Pocono and three Nationwide wins finishing third with one first -place vote and 51 points. Ron Capps, of the NHRA, and the World of Outlaws, Sammy Swindell, each had two first-place votes. A total of 20 drivers scored points in the second quarter voting.

I agree with you and I thought he did a tremendous job as a businessman, team owner, and driver. What he did last year driving wise is not more impressive than what Del did. I'm not taking anything away from Smoke, but his driving was not anymore impressive then what Del did coming back to a class 16 years later and driving it like he didn't miss a day, going on to win 8 races and the championship; he only had 9 starts in TF prior to 2011. As a driver Del should of won, but outside of driving Tony won it hands down. It is the NASCAR machine and it will not be stopped as it will forever be outvoted.

Last edited:
Whenever they talk to nascar drivers at the drag strip most want no part of a nitro car.

Capps, Scelzi, Cruz and many others have done some turn left races and held their own pretty well. Doug K I believe was a midget champ

Why do people get so bent out of shape over a popularity contest? which is what the ESPY's are, since they are voted on by fans. You can't honestly think more people have even heard of Del Worsham than Tony Stewart. I respect the hell out of Del and his driving, but there are few racers in this world that can match or exceed Tony's accomplishments in all forms of motorsport.

Registered member said:
I can't even think of 3 other big highlights for what should of been winners in any other racing this year.
Matt Kenseth winning the Daytona 500
Will Power winning 3 IndyCar races in a row out of the first 4
Dario Franchitti winning the Indy 500
Jimmie Johnson winning Hendrick Motorsports 200th Cup race
Mark Webber winning the Monaco GP
Ryan Hunter-Reay winning 3 IndyCar races in a row
Sammy Swindell winning the King's Royal for the 3rd time

NHRA drivers John Force, Greg Anderson, and Tony Schumacher have been awarded as Driver of the Year, so how is the program a joke? The Driver of the Year award is voted on privately by a panel of automotive and racing journalists. BTW, Speed Channel has no affiliation with the DOTY award, maybe you're thinking of the Speed Performer of the Year in which the winner gets the Mario Andretti Trophy.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over a popularity contest? which is what the ESPY's are, since they are voted on by fans. You can't honestly think more people have even heard of Del Worsham than Tony Stewart. I respect the hell out of Del and his driving, but there are few racers in this world that can match or exceed Tony's accomplishments in all forms of motorsport.

Matt Kenseth winning the Daytona 500
Will Power winning 3 IndyCar races in a row out of the first 4
Dario Franchitti winning the Indy 500
Jimmie Johnson winning Hendrick Motorsports 200th Cup race
Mark Webber winning the Monaco GP
Ryan Hunter-Reay winning 3 IndyCar races in a row
Sammy Swindell winning the King's Royal for the 3rd time

NHRA drivers John Force, Greg Anderson, and Tony Schumacher have been awarded as Driver of the Year, so how is the program a joke? The Driver of the Year award is voted on privately by a panel of automotive and racing journalists. BTW, Speed Channel has no affiliation with the DOTY award, maybe you're thinking of the Speed Performer of the Year in which the winner gets the Mario Andretti Trophy.

I don't consider all the things on your list worthy of a highligh but you made a good point and it's interesting because I think Speed is misleading people on thinking that they are affilated with the driver of the year. Who is responsible for driver of the year?

As far as the award goes for the quarters, yes, drag racing is often overshadowed, but as far as overall DOTY award they do a good job with drag racing. 1996, 2004, 2008 was right for drag racing to win as the performances those seasons are very seldom seen. Alot of drag racing seasons are not worthy of DOTY nominations in my opinion. I do feel the Bernstein should of been nominated in 2001 tho.

I don't consider all the things on your list worthy of a highligh but you made a good point and it's interesting because I think Speed is misleading people on thinking that they are affilated with the driver of the year. Who is responsible for driver of the year?

As far as the award goes for the quarters, yes, drag racing is often overshadowed, but as far as overall DOTY award they do a good job with drag racing. 1996, 2004, 2008 was right for drag racing to win as the performances those seasons are very seldom seen. Alot of drag racing seasons are not worthy of DOTY nominations in my opinion. I do feel the Bernstein should of been nominated in 2001 tho.

Here's an interesting read from 2003 about the history of the DOTY award

Driver Of The Year History

Here's the link to the DOTY hompage, and it appears that I am wrong about fans not getting a vote.

Racin’ Today DOTY

You'll get no argument from me that NHRA racers have gotten the short end of the stick for many many years. I can think of multiple years where NHRA champions should've won, or at least been a major consideration, Don Garlits 1971, Don Prudhomme 1976, Bob Glidden 1978, Shirley Muldowney 1980, Kenny Bernstein 1987, Bob Glidden 1989, ect. It's important to remember that the voting panel didn't always have much if any experience with drag racing or its history, especially in the years leading up to Force's 1996 award. Which in the big picture might be the greatest victory by any drag racer in history.

Just curious, which of the 6 moments I listed do you not agree with?

Here's an interesting read from 2003 about the history of the DOTY award

Driver Of The Year History

Here's the link to the DOTY hompage, and it appears that I am wrong about fans not getting a vote.

Racin’ Today DOTY

You'll get no argument from me that NHRA racers have gotten the short end of the stick for many many years. I can think of multiple years where NHRA champions should've won, or at least been a major consideration, Don Garlits 1971, Don Prudhomme 1976, Bob Glidden 1978, Shirley Muldowney 1980, Kenny Bernstein 1987, Bob Glidden 1989, ect. It's important to remember that the voting panel didn't always have much if any experience with drag racing or its history, especially in the years leading up to Force's 1996 award. Which in the big picture might be the greatest victory by any drag racer in history.

Just curious, which of the 6 moments I listed do you not agree with?

Matt Kenseth
Dario
Jimmy Johnson

I view these as simple. Jimmy Johnson winning 200 for Hendrick. Someone had to do it. If that moment's worthy of nomination I want DSR's 200 win driver to be equally nominated.

Interesting view.......I've got an idea for next year. I'll go down the road and talk to Jack about leasing one of his Fords for the Daytona 500, I'll own the entrant and you'll drive. Winning Daytona will be a piece of cake, Hendrick, Roush, Gibbs, and Childress won't know what hit them. With that accomplished I'll go a little further down the road and convince Chip Ganassi to loan me one of his Dallara Hondas for the month of May. And, if you're interested you can drive. Think about it, you'll have the rarest opportuniity ever in motorsports, a true rookie winning the Daytona 500, and the Indy 500 in the same calander year. It'll be the greatest accomplishment in auto racing history. I'm convinced you can win with ease. You can have all the fame and glory with your share of the winnings, heck you could start up your own mega team in the NHRA with all your success, and if you do it right, wouldn't even have to spend a dime of your own money. I'll just be content with the owners trophies from two of the biggest races on the motor racing calander, and of course my share of the loot. Then again, maybe I'll go Stock or Super Stock racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back