So I met this guy named "Shoe" in Atlanta... (1 Viewer)

DLB

Nitro Member
shoe.jpg

Don came riding through the vendor area on his scooter and stopped right where I was chowing on my smoked turkey leg (mmmm) and when he came back I stopped him for a hat signature and told him how I appreciated him keeping the guys out there running and taking the time to stop for a fan...I knew he was busy. The guy was super nice.

I had never talked to Don one on one, just on here, so it was nice to chat with him briefly in person.

I know some of you don't care for him, but I think he's a stand up guy, and without the likes of him and the other multi car teams, a lot of guys just might be sitting on the sidelines watching.

Thanks Don for all you do for the NHRA and drag racing - and thanks for taking time for the fans.

(Not a butt kissing post really, just saying that I think some people get a bad reputation before you ever even speak to them).

DLB

well spoken(written). Most of the car owners are nice guys and almost every driver at any event would stop down and talk your ear off if given the time. but most are way busier than we will ever know.

It is a butt kissing post :D but it's a damn good one!
Seriosly, it's a great story and I enjoyed reading it.
Gonna root for Tony next week because of it.

Who the BEEP!! doesn't like Mr. Shumacher??
This man has so much passion and love for this sport...
He very easily could have gone NASCAR or bubble fart racing...
I for one am very happy he has stayed involved in NHRA...
Those who may not like him, are only upset because he knows how to give the sponsors what they want... And bottom line, get the job done... Nobody likes a dominator... TUFF!! Whether Don posts on here or not, I have emince respect for him... Anyone who says otherwise is just shooting a wad off... No one wears more hats/shirts than Don, and he is always there for a racer in need...

Class act, as we all should be...
If you think I'm kissin... Buzz Off...

Thanks for everything you do Mr. Shumacher...
We could use more individuals like you in this sport...

Thanks for sharing your experience Dalton...
In this day of plastic bags and people... Don is as real and natural as they come...

Last edited:
No one wears more hats/shirts than Don
:D

That's got more meanings than one. :D

Glad I could share it with you guys.

I didn't elaborate in the original post really, but when I told Don thanks for taking the time to stop for a fan he just grinned and said "glad to do it!" It truly was nice to see a man so busy not mind taking time and honestly just being so kind and down to earth.

DLB

Last edited:
I have been fortunate enough to spend a couple of weekends in Don's hospitality tents, and I can tell you I have never seen anyone move around so much and shake so many hands. Obviously, Don really loves the sport. He could very easily hang out in his trailer, but instead chooses to mingle with his sponsor's friends and supporters and tries his best to make it a great experience for everyone involved. When someone is a the top, there is a natural inclination to root against them sometimes, I always rooted against Force, Glidden, the Yankees, etc., but drag racing is very lucky to have owners like Don involved. If he didn't truely love the sport, I imagine his time and money could be easily be spent elsewhere, and probably with greater returns.

I have been fortunate enough to spend a couple of weekends in Don's hospitality tents, and I can tell you I have never seen anyone move around so much and shake so many hands. Obviously, Don really loves the sport. He could very easily hang out in his trailer, but instead chooses to mingle with his sponsor's friends and supporters and tries his best to make it a great experience for everyone involved. When someone is a the top, there is a natural inclination to root against them sometimes, I always rooted against Force, Glidden, the Yankees, etc., but drag racing is very lucky to have owners like Don involved. If he didn't truely love the sport, I imagine his time and money could be easily be spent elsewhere, and probably with greater returns.

I have been trying to get in that hospitality for a few years now.
It's not too easy nowadays it doesn't seem...:eek:

Shoe's a pleasure to chat with. I don't know how he keeps up with all his teams during the race weekend! Or at all, for that matter!

Don is a good guy. I am running his "Stardust" Cuda AA/FC, and he is a CLASS ACT. He is very busy, but always takes the time to talk.

THANKS DON!

Justin Grant

SDORP.JPG

Don is a good guy. I am running his "Stardust" Cuda AA/FC, and he is a CLASS ACT. He is very busy, but always takes the time to talk.

THANKS DON!

Justin Grant

SDORP.JPG

The first time I met Don was at New York national in 1974 at the PRO race. The two things I remember from that meeting was he had the loudest funnycar in the pits and he was very easy to talk with. Don if you read this post Im sure you will have several memories of this race, Horror show? LOL!! Oh well, Great times back when you were running the Cuda!!:eek:

Paul-

In Honor of Don's loud Stardust, my Stardust Headers are only 18" long, and you can ask anyone who has been near this car, it is louder than any Nostalgia FC around. This is all due to Smiley Headers in CA. That man ROCKS!

From my experience the NHRA owners and drivers are head and shoulders above the nascar boys in terms of being fan friendly. But then they probably get their attitude from nascar itself. Don't unload your car till we chasten you for saying someting bad about us even if everyone knows it's true. Mr Helton and Mr France have both applied for the position of God. With the exception of two prostock owner/drivers everyone involved in NHRA I have had the honor to talk to have been extremely nice. If I had bucks and was looking for a team to sponsor nascar would not even be an option. And I have NEVER seen an NHRA fan throw away good beer trying to hit someone on the track. Thanks to all the owners and drivers in NHRA. My hat's off to you.

And I have NEVER seen an NHRA fan throw away good beer trying to hit someone on the track.

Welllll, I wouldn't go that far. Latest example I saw was IHRA, at Rockingham, and may have involved an empty bottle, but I've seen stuff come over the fence a few times under both sanctioning bodies, usually after several oildowns have given some fans a chance to get oiled up.

The biggest difference is, there are usually a few helpful NHRA/IHRA fans ready to point out the offenders when security arrives at the scene. I'm not sure the average Talladega fan is so willing to help since they appear to be badly outnumbered - this is the second time Gordon's car has been pelted for a yellow-flag victory at Talladega and he didn't even cause the yellow flag this time (don't remember the details of the prior incident, he may have made contact with another car that time, but that's no excuse given the nature of restrictor plate racing).

(don't remember the details of the prior incident, he may have made contact with another car that time, but that's no excuse given the nature of restrictor plate racing).

He was not involved in either of the last two yellow flags incidents from what I remember.

I do remember in the mid-eighties at the North Star Nats in Brainerd someone heaving a bottle of beer (This was back when you could bring your cooler into the stands. We actually reserved one seat for the cooler for our group.) out past the fence and just about made it to the track. Security showed up, and he was pointed out in short order. We never saw him again.

Dalton,
you're a butt kisser................:D

awe, come on, you set yourself up for it!!

thanks for the good story.

THe first Time I had ever spoken with Don was at Dallas in '96 Tony's first year in TF. He spent a good 5 minutes chatting with me at the rope, you never forget that stuff...

Dalton,
you're a butt kisser................:D

awe, come on, you set yourself up for it!!

thanks for the good story.

Heck, I don't really care...I know it was in jest, and you can tell by the other stories on here, most people feel the same way.

I guess it is really a thing you have to experience. Those who have know. As soon as he left us the guy that was with us said "Jack Roush" wouldn't have done that. I have his autograph, after I paid $5 for the picture that he signed it on that I waited in line for an hour in." You know, that's just the thing. Someone as "big" as Don is to the sport of NHRA to be so gracious is just unheard of in other ranks.

He sure has my support.

DLB

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back