Rules, rules, and more rules... (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
I understand the 14 car pro ladders being used. I understood Terry McMillen getting a DQ for centerline infraction. I understand Greek didn't take the tree, so he's not in the field. I do not understand the Comp car of Jay Schonberger that spun over the centerline in round 1 (the only round) of Comp qualifying NOT being a DQ and coming back for round 1. I also don't understand when Reinhart said that Paul Noakes could have hit the wall on his single, and still won the round. I thought that any DQ eliminated you from competition. That's why guys do not risk it, just take the tree and push back off the line.

Did he spin due to water on the track? If so, maybe there was a protest against the starter letting cars on a wet surface and he got re-instated....just thinkin out loud....

Isn't Comp all run when there are less than X number of cars on the property? There were only 13 Comp cars today.

By the way, that was absolutely the DUMBEST wreck I have ever seen in Comp qualifying. Glad everyone was OK. ESPN3 even showed replays.

I also don't understand when Reinhart said that Paul Noakes could have hit the wall on his single, and still won the round. I thought that any DQ eliminated you from competition. That's why guys do not risk it, just take the tree and push back off the line.

It's the Ron Colson rule. If you have a competition single all you have to do is take the tree to advance. Anything after that is moot. Colson once crossed the center line on a single and was DQed and then they changed the rule, hence the name.

Ah I remember seeing something about that. Wasn't that at Indy in the late 70s early 80s?

It's the Ron Colson rule. If you have a competition single all you have to do is take the tree to advance. Anything after that is moot. Colson once crossed the center line on a single and was DQed and then they changed the rule, hence the name.
If that is true Mike, then it should be similar in qualifying where if you take a green and cross the centerline, etc. you get no time but it counts as an attempt. Should the field be short, you get inserted at the end. I still don't understand the Hale/Bojec from Joliet where Hale took out the cones in Q3 thus negating Bojec's attempt and then gets put back in because they reverted to Friday where Hale went quicker. IMHO, it should have been Hale out, Schreifer 15 and Bojec 16 (took green, rest not his fault) since Friday's runs were wiped by the 12 rule.

Not saying I agree with the rule....that's just what it is. You should know, there is plenty I don't agree with lol.

I was unaware of the "Colson" rule. That just adds to the confusion. Hopefully they will adjust the rule, even though it will be for situations that should not occur in the first place.

Here is a crappy youtube video of the Comp wreck I was talking about. BOTH drivers need a talking to and better have some explanations.

the Nhra crewmember in yellow at the center bottom of the screen looked as about as incredulous as I was watching that.......

WTF was that! :eek:
#1 how do you miss a big blue parachute from the starting line
#2 how do you drive down the track not seeing it???? and then panic like it just jumped out in front of you????????????????

Last edited:
I don't get either all he had to do was go into #1 lane and pull his chute. I hope NHRA had a talk with both of them.

Too bad we didn't see the whole pass.

Crazy. Maybe the guy in the Vette could see the chute but couldn't tell the other car had moved into his lane from over 1/4 mile away. And from the vantage point of the video, I'll bet there was more distance than it seems when the Vette driver realized his opponent was in his lane. Just guessing...

failure on the track officials....cars should not be allowed to stage when there is a car still on the racing surface.....
The track officials didn't screw up - these two cars staged as a pair. Comp qualifying, so both green lights came on at the same time. Both cars launched. Left-lane car got out of shape, crossed the centerline and put the chutes out. Right-lane car (the Corvette) stopped about 60-100 feet out. Starter walked out to the car and the car suddenly left, just as he got there. It's all in the YouTube video.

I watched the beginning of the video that's posted above 5-6 times and from here it looked like the Corvette was lined up and held for a bye.....couldn't see the 60-100 foot space from that vantage point

I watched the beginning of the video that's posted above 5-6 times and from here it looked like the Corvette was lined up and held for a bye.....couldn't see the 60-100 foot space from that vantage point
I was watching it on the 3, and both cars came up and staged together. It was one race...

Crazy. Maybe the guy in the Vette could see the chute but couldn't tell the other car had moved into his lane from over 1/4 mile away. And from the vantage point of the video, I'll bet there was more distance than it seems when the Vette driver realized his opponent was in his lane. Just guessing...
He was behind and slightly to the right of the car in front of him, it should have been completely obvious.

At 4 sec mark the Olds crosses the center line, at 7sec the Vette leaves, and at 23 sec the Vette spikes his brakes.... as we know in "drag racing time" thats a lot of time.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back