Rain SUX!!! (1 Viewer)

11 o'clock on a Saturday? Maybe dragstrips shouldn't let retirement homes build near them. Anyone who lives near a racetrack and complains about the noise should be zapped by a cattle prod.

D

It is raining again because the drag racing gods are not pleased without a Fall event at Rt.66!!! The weather is beautiful here...again. (But won't be in June:rolleyes: ..)

It's scary to think what could have been this weekend in Chicago, especially considering the times they ran in the spring when the crew chiefs were still trying to get a handle on the new tires. As much as I'd like to blame this one on Glendora, I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was actually Route 66, that only wanted one race. The situation in Richmond sounds eeriely similar to what happened in Maple Grove. I wonder if tomorrow gets rained out, if they would qualify on Sunday and race on Monday, or if they would do as they did at Maple Grove and completely reschedule the event.

They could set the field based on points if tomorrow gets rained out.

S/F
D

They could set the field based on points if tomorrow gets rained out.

S/F
D

I highly doubt they would do that with two open weekends still left on the schedule before the next event in Las Vegas. I would bet they would only set the field by points at the Finals, when they are pretty much backed into a corner because of the awards ceremony.

It is raining again because the drag racing gods are not pleased without a Fall event at Rt.66!!! The weather is beautiful here...again. (But won't be in June:rolleyes: ..)
I`ve noticed alot of rain-outs since Columbus lost the nat. event. Thats what the racing gods are pissed about :cool:

Oh yeah , sunny and 70 here in Cols.

I Say It Gets Postponed Till Next Weekend,then I Hope It Rains Again And Gets Rescheduled For 20-22 Then I Can Go!!!!!!!!

11 o'clock on a Saturday? Maybe dragstrips shouldn't let retirement homes build near them. Anyone who lives near a racetrack and complains about the noise should be zapped by a cattle prod.

D

Retirement homes are probably the best things to build near dragstrips. Older people are more likely to have a hearing loss.

If a Funny Car runs and no one hears it, did it make any noise? :)

Jim

I highly doubt they would do that with two open weekends still left on the schedule before the next event in Las Vegas.

The problem they have is that next weekend is the final Division One points race of the season and a lot of racers need that one for points. They already moved it once to accomodate the Maple Grove reschedule. Not sure when they could move it to.

The weekend after that is the Dutch CLassic at Maple Grove and that's one of the biggest races in the area.

Jim

i was told from an nhra official that next weekend could be a problem because the t.v. crew has to be in charlotte n.c. to cover the nascar race. i don't think there is going to be any racing today. last night we got heavy rain and thunder storms. it is still pooring with high winds. on the news they are talking about local roads closed due to high winds. hoping to race but not seeing it any time soon.

Same schedule next weekend in Virginia, no word yet on any changes for Atco and the Dutch Classic.

Pro Mods chose not to return next weekend. This was the final race on their agreement and it looks like they may not be coming back next year, either.

The delay may allow Dave Connolly to get the bugs out of his new Cobalt - they originally planned to run it this weekend, but had a problem with a misfire in the engine, could not find it and worked until 3 a.m. Thursday getting the "old car" ready instead. However, tech closed Friday and he may not be able to switch cars.

That was the reason Erica Enders was unable to enter the rain-delayed race at Maple Grove, by the way. Tech closed on Friday of the original weekend, even though they never turned a wheel. Same thing happened here, so the fields are closed, no new entries.

Rain sux!!
:D :D

Larry,
I'm still cold and wet from two days at the track... thank heaven for the Hot Rod Cafe and their coffee.... it was hot and black.... and hot... :)

Just checked Accuweather for next weekend - I hope they are correct with a forecast of partly cloudy on Friday and sunny Saturday and Sunday, with a high in the mid-sixties all three days and no mention of the "R-word" after Thursday.

:cool: :D :p

For anyone who is interested, the Atco points race has been moved to the weekend of October 27-28-29. I have no idea what will happen if it rains that weekend.

Jim

It's scary to think what could have been this weekend in Chicago, especially considering the times they ran in the spring when the crew chiefs were still trying to get a handle on the new tires. As much as I'd like to blame this one on Glendora, I thought I remember reading somewhere that it was actually Route 66, that only wanted one race...

They kept the wrong one event.:(

I`ve noticed alot of rain-outs since Columbus lost the nat. event. Thats what the racing gods are pissed about :cool:

Oh yeah , sunny and 70 here in Cols.

A pi$$ is all it would take to cause flooding at that turd!!!
I seem to remember being ankle deep in mud more than once at Columbus. And that problem they have with water coming up from under the track is dangerous!!! :eek:

Water coming up from under the track happens at a lot of tracks - I even remember seeing that problem at Norwalk, now that I think of it. It was one of the reasons they pulled the plug this weekend at Richmond. It's called "hydrostatic pressure" and is common any time you have lots of rain in a short period of time. Water gets trapped under the pavement and builds up enough pressure to seep through cracks in the pavement. Ironically, using jet dryers to dry the track and sunshine aggravate the problem because the heat increases the pressure. If you've got an easy solution for the problem, you could make a lot of money.

It's a good thing they cancelled this weekend at Richmond - it rained and misted all night, it's foggy and misting right now (9 a.m. Sunday) and may do so most of the day today. Between Friday and Saturday, the Petersburg area got over three inched of rain and the ground is saturated, so spectator parking would have been pretty much a mud bog, even if they could get the track dry enough to race. Should be better next weekend if the current forecasts hold.

I mentioned this before, haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else - the AMS Pro Mods won't be back next weekend, but they will be in Vegas for their final race this year - and it is possible that will be their final appearance at an NHRA national event.

Last edited:
Saw that Larry, The Pro-mod meeting....

What stuck me most about VIR, is that it seems even Smaller than OCIR was... without the parking... seriously, parking on a grass covered hill side in the rain does not rate with the top ten ideas of keeping the paying custommer happy... not bad parking, but getting up that hillside was a b*t*h.... trying to keep enough headway going to keep from getting stuck, I was almost afraid I was going to take out the credentals trailer when I finally hit the solid ground and the rear stopped fishtailing... :eek:

Same schedule next weekend in Virginia, no word yet on any changes for Atco and the Dutch Classic.

Pro Mods chose not to return next weekend. This was the final race on their agreement and it looks like they may not be coming back next year, either.
:D :D

Larry, aren't the Pro Mods scheduled to race at Las Vegas?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back