Qualifying BS and Countdown hypocrisy (1 Viewer)

PJ

Staff Member
Staff member
Administrator
Nitro Member
Ok lets see here, first we get this countdown crammed down our throat. I thought the idea of it was to make things more exciting (ie fake) and to also allow more people a chance at the championship later in the season. Everybody got 1 shot at the track before the rain ruined the rest of qualifying. So instead of maintaining this new everybody's a winner campaign they knock out 3 guys trying to bust their butts to make the chase which further helps the 3 guys who were hanging on tho their spots widen the gap.

I think they should try to either mandate 2 qualfying sessions, even if that means 1 sunday am on a rainy race weekend, or if only 1 session is done then seed the top 16 via points or if everybody gets 1 shot then that sets the field.

This weekend they just went against their entire countdown mantra by cutting off people.

Do you ever stop crying? This rule has been in place for years now and is nothing new. The weather in Seattle put the NHRA in a tough position to get the show in and not have the teams on the road for 7 weeks straight (in the case of a rain-out). This does suck for Wilk, Densham, Toliver, and Lucas but rules are rules and the precedent has been set in the past. The chase is working, there is a tremendous amount of focus on the teams fighting for 8th place and this is exposure these teams would not have seen in the past. Your bitching is not going to change anything, the chase will move forward with or without you.

With all this talk about the NHRA being painted into a corner regarding the potential rescheduling of this event, let's not forget they made their own bed on this one, if it hadn't been for the NASCAR points system they would have put Bristol in the fall either before or after Richmond and we wouldn't have 6 races in 6 weeks. The fans in the stands don't care about scheduling conflicts, they want to see a show, and I know if I went to Seattle and only got one qualifying session in I'd feel like I got ripped off. If they only get one qualifying session in on Friday and Saturday then they should have one early Sunday morning and start eliminations late, like they did in Memphis of 1999.

I bet they didn't offer any refunds for the washed out day either. The event was completed, so I doubt they would offer refunds.

Anybody know if they get a refund for Friday?

Do you ever stop crying? This rule has been in place for years now and is nothing new. The weather in Seattle put the NHRA in a tough position to get the show in and not have the teams on the road for 7 weeks straight (in the case of a rain-out). This does suck for Wilk, Densham, Toliver, and Lucas but rules are rules and the precedent has been set in the past. The chase is working, there is a tremendous amount of focus on the teams fighting for 8th place and this is exposure these teams would not have seen in the past. Your bitching is not going to change anything, the chase will move forward with or without you.

I had never heard of the Top 10 rule till this weekend! If it only applys to one qualifying session so be it. But that's the first time I've ever seen of faster cars getting knocked out!:confused:

actually I have always been against the provisional qualfying deal. Its just not often used. Now witht the countdown the qualifying looks even worse and they are now working against their own countdown

I had never heard of the Top 10 rule till this weekend! If it only applys to one qualifying session so be it. But that's the first time I've ever seen of faster cars getting knocked out!:confused:

If I remember right I think it happened at Bristol a year or 2 ago

I think Paul knows so much about rain-out rules because he's been going to Maple Grove for years. :eek::D

oh and I would say its more bitching then crying:p

I'm not sure when the rule was put in effect, but it has been used in the past(Bristol '05, Pomona '02) and Dallas '00, no qualifying took place after a two week postponement. They qualified them based on the points standings.

... This rule has been in place for years now and is nothing new. ...
Just because it's a rule doesn't make it right!

All competitors had an equal shot in that one qualifying session. The provosional qualifying B.S. is just that... B.S.! Goes against everything about the spirit of drag racing!

All competitors had an equal shot in that one qualifying session. The provosional qualifying B.S. is just that... B.S.! Goes against everything about the spirit of drag racing!

I agree. Reminds me of the overusage of provisional starts in NASCAR. Qualifying should be equal for all teams. If you can't get your sh!t together on the one pass the weather allowed this weekend, then better luck next week. Life isn't fair.

I bet they didn't offer any refunds for the washed out day either. The event was completed, so I doubt they would offer refunds.

Vaughn,

I talked to somebody on Sunday that was let in with a Friday ticket, also I believe that if you showed up Saturday with a Friday ticket they let you in.

Dan

...............The chase is working, there is a tremendous amount of focus on the teams fighting for 8th place and this is exposure these teams would not have seen in the past. Your bitching is not going to change anything, the chase will move forward with or without you.
Excellent post Paul.

I've had rainout tickets in the past, just mailed them into NHRA and got credit vouchers to use at another event.

The rain out policy is somthing to this effect. For sportsman time trials there is no refund, basically Thur. if the race is a 4 day race. On Pro qualifying days if they get one sesion in there is no refund. For final elims if one round is run no refund. Refund is not really the correct word either. You get a raincheck for the following years event. That is from memory and could have changed.

I think Paul knows so much about rain-out rules because he's been going to Maple Grove for years. :eek::D

You had to remind me! I think every race weekend with the exception of 2 or 3 it rained at some point during the weekend. I do not think I will make the trip to sweat my ass off in August.

I agree. Reminds me of the overusage of provisional starts in NASCAR. Qualifying should be equal for all teams. If you can't get your sh!t together on the one pass the weather allowed this weekend, then better luck next week. Life isn't fair.

If you can't get your sh!t together on the one pass the weather allowed this weekend, then better luck next week.

Something like Friday night qualifing, it's a one shot deal the other three don't help much.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back