Qualifying BS and Countdown hypocrisy (1 Viewer)

the back of the tickets gives the rainout policy. I read mine before Norwalk, I don't remember the exact details but it all depended on if the pros ran and how much.

Hey P.J. Please give it a rest. I believe that we are all pretty clear on your position. The Countdown is in play, it is generating a lot of interest for the drivers in the 5-12 points positions, that they would not be getting otherwise. Why not see how it works out?

As for the Qualifying procedure, it has been in play for a number of years, and all the competitors know the rule. Just because the fans don't know the policy, doesn't make it any less of a rule.

Alan

Last edited:
The chase is working, .

How is it working? I guess technically we're not even into it yet. The only media attention it gets is from itself. Instead of wondering if Force can pull a Schumacher like comeback or being impressed at how Jeg has sawed down what was thought to be an insurmountable lead by Anderson its all just a yawner knowing that as Schumacher said yesterday, they're gonna take the points away anyways.

It was supposedly giving lower teams a chace yet by the qualifying rules this weekend they strengthened the bigger teams in the chase while hurting the guys trying to get into it.

Hey P.J. Please give it a rest. I believe that we are all pretty clear on your position. The Countdown is in play, it is genersting a lot of interest for the drivers in the 5-12 points positions, that they would not be getting otherwise. Why not see how it works out?

As for the Qualifying procedure, it has been in play for a number of years, and all the competitors know the rule. Just because the fans don't know the policy, doesn't make it any less of a rule.

Alan

I knew the rules ahead of time and didn't like it last time it was used either. Personally if they all get a shot then it should count but If the idea of the chase was supposedly to allow more teams a supposed chance at the title then the qualifying rule should have also been changed with the countdown. If not enough sessions are completed then seed 1-16 based on points as it was done this time seems conterproductive to your beloved countdown.

How is it working? I guess technically we're not even into it yet. The only media attention it gets is from itself. Instead of wondering if Force can pull a Schumacher like comeback or being impressed at how Jeg has sawed down what was thought to be an insurmountable lead by Anderson its all just a yawner knowing that as Schumacher said yesterday, they're gonna take the points away anyways.

It was supposedly giving lower teams a chace yet by the qualifying rules this weekend they strengthened the bigger teams in the chase while hurting the guys trying to get into it.

Do you ever stop? Are you watching the same show that I am? You must like hearing yourself talk because you are wasting your breath. The countdown has received so much attention ESPN added another reporter. Look at the number of different threads on here talking about it. How many times has it been discussed on the shows? When was the last time 8 cars in each category was in the hunt for the championship at Indy? You must be in the minority because of the lack of support for your petition. By the way, you need to make sure you do not piss on yourself because you are pissing into the wind on this subject.

Hey P.J. Please give it a rest. I believe that we are all pretty clear on your position. The Countdown is in play, it is genersting a lot of interest for the drivers in the 5-12 points positions, that they would not be getting otherwise. Why not see how it works out?

Alan

Is it in the rule book or the police manual that no one is allowed to see?

Do you ever stop? Are you watching the same show that I am? You must like hearing yourself talk because you are wasting your breath. The countdown has received so much attention ESPN added another reporter. Look at the number of different threads on here talking about it. How many times has it been discussed on the shows? When was the last time 8 cars in each category was in the hunt for the championship at Indy? You must be in the minority because of the lack of support for your petition. By the way, you need to make sure you do not piss on yourself because you are pissing into the wind on this subject.

Ok I'll talk slow for you since you seem to be missing some things. Just because they talk the snot of it doens't mean its getting any attention. Since the fans were never asked the best guess is to crusie the boards. There is not too much support for it.

Guess what every car is in the hunt at the Winternationals, and if they decide the reset the points before the finals then everyone would have a shot at the title again. By manufacturing a welfare system of points it doesn't make it right or exciting. It takes any meaning out of the championship, kinda like the bcs in college football.

As for the petition you're right it didn't get the numbers I had hoped but I blame myself for that. The plug it did get from places comp plus happened between Christmas and New Years when there is not a whole lot of drag racing traffic. I contacted every market nhra races in as well as national outlets. Most do not care enough to cover our sport normally so a controversial points deal didn't matter to them. Others responded admitting that the chase was a silly idea but not worth their time or it was a done deal so why bother. My hope was that someone with a bigger voice would take it and run, but despite some behind the scenes support nobody is willing/able to step up.

As for all the threads about it I believe this is the first one that I have started since April. It seems others don't like it as well and start threads about it. My aplogies for repsonding to them I'll make sure to pm you and Alan for permission as to when and which threads I am allowed to respond to.:rolleyes:

Admittedly today its been a very hot topic but prior to that out of my last 50 post only 5 have been about the countdown and 1 of those was just giving a correction on what the points will be at Indy, no slam or complaint just clearing up some factual info for someone. I actually try to not beat it to death which is why I don't start as many threads about it as I'm tempted to.

John,
It is in the policy manual. The policy manual isn't secret, it just isn't distributed like the rule book is. The policy manual is roughly the size of an L.A. Yellow Pages.

P.J.,
I'm not trying to start anything with you, I'm just suggesting that we all know your stance on the Countdown. It's not going to change, so why are you wasting all the energy on it?

I wish we would have gotten together for a beer in Norwalk.

Alan

I guess I'm still hoping for an awakening and a change for next season.

Maybe if I go to a race next season we can catch that beer and I promise that if we do that I will try really, really hard not to mention the you know what :)

At this point I recommend either Mineral Oil or a suppository.

If I could not get something like this out of my system by now it would either be that or some sort of professional help.

SHEEEEEEEESH!!!!!!!!!

Beagles whine less............

REX

I gotta admit, I'm not a fan of the chase but I'm willing to see how it plays out... like Alan said, it's here so lets see what happens. That said, I did find Tony Schumacher's quote at the top end following his win a little interesting...

Ok I'll talk slow for you since you seem to be missing some things. Just because they talk the snot of it doens't mean its getting any attention. Since the fans were never asked the best guess is to crusie the boards. There is not too much support for it.

Guess what every car is in the hunt at the Winternationals, and if they decide the reset the points before the finals then everyone would have a shot at the title again. By manufacturing a welfare system of points it doesn't make it right or exciting. It takes any meaning out of the championship, kinda like the bcs in college football.

As for the petition you're right it didn't get the numbers I had hoped but I blame myself for that. The plug it did get from places comp plus happened between Christmas and New Years when there is not a whole lot of drag racing traffic. I contacted every market nhra races in as well as national outlets. Most do not care enough to cover our sport normally so a controversial points deal didn't matter to them. Others responded admitting that the chase was a silly idea but not worth their time or it was a done deal so why bother. My hope was that someone with a bigger voice would take it and run, but despite some behind the scenes support nobody is willing/able to step up.

As for all the threads about it I believe this is the first one that I have started since April. It seems others don't like it as well and start threads about it. My aplogies for repsonding to them I'll make sure to pm you and Alan for permission as to when and which threads I am allowed to respond to.:rolleyes:

Admittedly today its been a very hot topic but prior to that out of my last 50 post only 5 have been about the countdown and 1 of those was just giving a correction on what the points will be at Indy, no slam or complaint just clearing up some factual info for someone. I actually try to not beat it to death which is why I don't start as many threads about it as I'm tempted to.

PJ, I am not missing anything so there is no need for you to talk slow. I am in a different place then you. The decision has been made to move to the new system and I am a person who will watch to see what happens before passing judgment on the new system. Now, in November I may support your view but I will have facts to explain why I think the chase is bad for the sport. You need to have the ability to think outside of the box to generate new ideas and I think the chase is NHRA's attempt to make the show more entertaining (even though this resembles the NASCAR chase). One part of my job is to come up with ideas that are outside of the box in order to generate either a cost savings or a revenue increase so I guess this is why I think the way I do. A few years ago I was behind a 30 million dollar project that completely changed how my company operated our assets on a daily basis and if I had your close minded attitude I would probably be making $70k a year being an analyst. We have beaten this dead horse enough, lets move on at least for a week.

i know it happened in pomona few yrs ago i think tony p got back in and pulde or someone got bumped out . im with alan give it a rest , i know what pj needs alan , some of that water we had in jar at bristol . will have plenty more for indy!!!!! guy kelly u coming to indy ?? to me its still drag racing and the teams are out there putting there asses/lives on the line . lets just try to appreciate what a great sport /family we have in the drag racing community.

I completely understand thinking outside the box, at work and on a board that I sit on I'm generally the guy who looks at the entire deal, plays devils advocate, gets people thinking bigger and better, sees the hidden pros and cons of something. With this I don't believe that the integrity of the championship should be jeopardized or cheapened and I have yet to see or hear a reason as why I should accept it.

Its one thing to try things new, even the overused "outside the box" or to copy what other leagues have done successfully. But to make blind changes for the sake of change is not a positive direction.

Jumping off a cliff would be exciting and surely something that I have not tried before, yet I realize that it would not be a good idea. Despite a possible short surge of excitement and adrenaline rush that I may get I don't see there being long term growth or benefits as I plummet towards earth. I don't need to see how it works out to realize the wrongness of it.

How is this points chase going to be billed as a legitimate success? If the person who had the most points for the enitre season still wins then it proves the system is not needed. At what point is it ok for someone else to win? If the person under the old system in 2nd, 3rd, 5th or 8th ends up winning when is the outrage that someone was robbed allowed to kick in? What if a person outside the 8 makes a charge and maybe they would have ended up #1 or at least made and exciting charge. Perhaps after the second cut off #5 wins the last two races and would have made a difference. Unlikely, possible but there's always a first time, such as Schumacher last year, but with this system it guantees that it can't happen again. If all that is really wanted is an exciting end to the season that why keep points at all, just crown whom ever wins the final race as the champ.

Now I had told myself that I was going to leave it alone for a few days and of course I couldn't so I'll stop for now. Myabe Ray has some sanding to do that will keep me busy.

To simplify the point of PJ's last post...

We will never have the legitimate excitement of last year's Top Fuel championship ever again as long as "The Countdown" :rolleyes: is in place!

If they are trying to generate interest by creating false drama then they have cheapened the spirit of drag racing!!

That's my opinion and nothing will ever change my mind!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back