Qualifying BS and Countdown hypocrisy (1 Viewer)

The Countdown is in play, it is generating a lot of interest for the drivers in the 5-12 points positions, that they would not be getting otherwise.

Well lets see John has been in that range for most of the season(lots of his mug on tv) go figure. Del still has only gotten limited tv time(sure his name shows up and it takes blowups to get tv time) He would have gotten that anyway.

Who is this Jeff Arend guy :rolleyes: Tim Wilkerson never heard of him (jokingly) :confused: other than knowing he got the shaft last weekend. Sponsors love seeing there driver explain why they didnt make it. :rolleyes:

Its a load of crap and if John goes on to win the championship because he squeaks in by winning another race BIGGER load of crap.

Last edited:
Is someone going to keep track of the points the old fashioned way and show us the difference in points standings between the 2 once this "C" gets started??

although i do not mind the "C", i think it is inevitable that in it's
first year, someone WILL win a championship who was never close
to the points lead; (my prediction is ron capps will win the points
outright as he's never done before, and this year of all years
john force will come out of left field and win the prize again)
Let me ask this; is a championship as important in most sports
as it was when some of us were younger?
I say no they are not, they have been cheapened by profit
and in some sports free agency. The olympics are not even what
they used to be. It seems more now about selling tickets week
after week, selling advertising, selling souveniors, selling concessions, etc.
Every big sporting event now seems to come and go; the super bowl,
the final four, the kentucky derby, the indy 500, the masters, wimbeldon,
etc. - there's so much sports entertainment competing for our dollar that
when it comes to NHRA drag racing, i care much more about a healthy
series than i do about individual class champions.
Maybe this years "C" is not perfect, maybe it is, but one thing for sure
it's something different......
success leads to stagnation.....stagnation leads to failure.
this new "C" is not for us drag racing faithful, it's for new fans
who need to be told what NHRA stands for.
hey, the MN Vikings went 15-1 a few years ago and still managed
to screw it up in the playoffs. without the playoffs, they had the best
record in the NFL that year, but they were not the champions.
(nor will they ever be - it's a MN thing:eek:)
it's all about what you're used to.

To simplify the point of PJ's last post...

We will never have the legitimate excitement of last year's Top Fuel championship ever again as long as "The Countdown" :rolleyes: is in place!

If they are trying to generate interest by creating false drama then they have cheapened the spirit of drag racing!!

That's my opinion and nothing will ever change my mind!

Great post! I agree with every word! Your Countdown comments as well, PJ.

"my prediction is ron capps will win the points
outright as he's never done before, and this year of all years
john force will come out of left field and win the prize again"

what a kick in the nuts that would be. I don't doubt Ron would cry. I would. I bet he has nightmares about it now. I hope he doesn't read this board.
just something he doesn't need to be thinking about.

nhra would love it though. espn would tell us how amazing it was.
personally I enjoy each race for what it is. I couldn't care less who wins the 'championship ' unless it happens to be the guy with the most points for the year. I ignore the clowndown. So should you all.

Hey P.J. Please give it a rest. I believe that we are all pretty clear on your position. The Countdown is in play, it is generating a lot of interest for the drivers in the 5-12 points positions, that they would not be getting otherwise. Why not see how it works out?

As for the Qualifying procedure, it has been in play for a number of years, and all the competitors know the rule. Just because the fans don't know the policy, doesn't make it any less of a rule.

Alan

THANK YOU ALAN!!! I don't know why he chooses to waste his energy. The phylosophy for the countdown is solid (every other sport has proven so), and it's working. It's all about making the 'playoffs'. It WILL work and it WON'T go away.

There are a line of people ready to shake your hand after that post...

hey, the MN Vikings went 15-1 a few years ago and still managedto screw it up in the playoffs. without the playoffs, they had the best record in the NFL that year, but they were not the champions.
(nor will they ever be - it's a MN thing:eek:) it's all about what you're used to.
A team that wasn't in the playoffs didn't have a chance to knock them out of the playoffs, and therein lies the main difference between this playoff format and that of any of the ball and stick sports. When a part-timer like Hartley could potentially eliminate one or two or three drivers from the eight to four transition, or one or two during the four to two transition in Top Fuel, it isn't a true playoff format.

When a part-timer like Hartley could potentially eliminate one or two or three drivers from the eight to four transition, or one or two during the four to two transition in Top Fuel, it isn't a true playoff format.

You forgot the possibility for a team car to lay down for the sake of the other team member thats in the chase.

Im not pointing fingers or saying names, but they can make it look like a legit try for the sake of making it too obvious. :eek:

Or how about the "Big Money" teams kicking some cash/parts for the others to lay down. :cool:

Just too many ways this "Championship" could be fixed. :D

You forgot the possibility for a team car to lay down for the sake of the other team member thats in the chase.

Im not pointing fingers or saying names, but they can make it look like a legit try for the sake of making it too obvious. :eek:

Or how about the "Big Money" teams kicking some cash/parts for the others to lay down. :cool:

Like that hasn't happened before? :rolleyes:

I have not jumped on this nearly dead horse yet but here goes.
#1 I think even the NBA uses half of all teams for playoff elegibility.
#2 IF John Force wins he WILL say he did not truly deserve it.
#3 With 8 races left all but 8 racers in each class will have a legitimate gripe about the system.
#4 They ARE shoving it down our throats
#5 Somebody that truly deserved to win a championship will not!
I must side with PJ

If you're referring to Funny Car, history has proven that the Force and Schumacher cars will compete straight-up with their team cars. I don't see anyone laying down in Pro Stock either.

These guys will 'get it on'...!

If you're referring to Funny Car, history has proven that the Force and Schumacher cars will compete straight-up with their team cars. I don't see anyone laying down in Pro Stock either.

These guys will 'get it on'...!

The famous Scelzi/Whit race during Gary's championship run

Tony Pedregons timely smoke jobs against Force, which after he left he made not so glowing remarks to during interviews

Kurt Johnson has joked about losing his job if he beat WJ during his championship contending seasons.

Good or bad, It's part of team racing. Part of the pressure that sponsors put on teams.

A team that wasn't in the playoffs didn't have a chance to knock them out of the playoffs, and therein lies the main difference between this playoff format and that of any of the ball and stick sports. When a part-timer like Hartley could potentially eliminate one or two or three drivers from the eight to four transition, or one or two during the four to two transition in Top Fuel, it isn't a true playoff format.
Bob,
you're absolutely right. i was just trying to show how comfortable the
general public is with some 'playoff' sports (example: NFL) and equally as comfortable with 'points' sports (example: NHRA).
mixing the formulas from one type to another obviously creates friction.

Hey Johnny,

How long ago did you change your name to "Johnny Cerberus". Was it a pain to change all the credit cards, checkbook, business cards, etc...........

Heeeeheheheheee!

Hey Johnny,

How long ago did you change your name to "Johnny Cerberus". Was it a pain to change all the credit cards, checkbook, business cards, etc...........

Heeeeheheheheee!

That darn fire sale by the Germans cost me quite a bit of time and money! I've ordered new t-shirts, new embroidered jackets and business cards. I called Stutgard and asked for compensation for the cost of changing my name. The brautwurst boy on the other end of the phone said...'no english, no english'.

I'm just glad the damn Russians didn't buy us...that would have REALLY been difficult! :eek:

"Johnny Cerberus"....just call my 'Johnny'...I don't know how to pronounce 'Cerberus'. I hate this corporate crap....:(

That darn fire sale by the Germans cost me quite a bit of time and money! I've ordered new t-shirts, new embroidered jackets and business cards. I called Stutgard and asked for compensation for the cost of changing my name. The brautwurst boy on the other end of the phone said...'no english, no english'.

I'm just glad the damn Russians didn't buy us...that would have REALLY been difficult! :eek:

"Johnny Cerberus"....just call my 'Johnny'...I don't know how to pronounce 'Cerberus'. I hate this corporate crap....:(

Hey Johnny! Look on the bright side. The embroidered jackets and t-shirts will look really wild with the logo depicting the 3 headed dog guarding the gates of hell! Trust me, GM has nothing anywhere near that foreboding!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back