Points system-make a stand (1 Viewer)

Sure beats saying nothing at all, Paul.

Sure, if you like hearing yourself talk. I am one of the few people who is willing to see how this chase pans out. You don't know if you will like something until you give it a chance. I find it funny how the majority is dead against this without even seeing how it pans out. I may be with the majority next year after I see the chase in action, but I will give it a chance first.

Sure, if you like hearing yourself talk. I am one of the few people who is willing to see how this chase pans out. You don't know if you will like something until you give it a chance. I find it funny how the majority is dead against this without even seeing how it pans out. I may be with the majority next year after I see the chase in action, but I will give it a chance first.

People don't like change , the current system has been around for years and its better then ever . There is a saying its Why fix what doesnt need to be fixed and why change what doesnt need to be changed.

Suit yourself. I'll tell you right now how it will pan out: when the cutdown to eight takes place, numbers 9-12 or so will be pissed that they can finish no higher, even with races still to go. And when it goes down to four, numbers 5 to roughly seven or so will be pissed that THEY can finish no higher. When it's all said and done, Compton and Co. will hold a press conference claiming how great it all was. Whether the championship is won by 5 or 500 points, it won't mean anywhere near as much as past seasons where they actually raced for it, as far as I'm concerned.

points ???

well now im #339 i dont like this idea what is glendora thinking here, what are they trying to do be a wanna be nascar??? the way they are doing the points is not going to work, you have 1 bad race and your finished!!! i dont like it!!!!!

Wont hold much water with anyone. If anything deserves to be given an all out stick your neck out kinda effort...this is the real deal.

Yeah I do wish they would have left their name, by leaving it like that I'm not sure if it is a driver trying to be anonymous or someone just messing around.
There is one pro driver and sponsor who has signed it.

I really need help reaching a wider audience.

Yeah I do wish they would have left their name, by leaving it like that I'm not sure if it is a driver trying to be anonymous or someone just messing around.
There is one pro driver and sponsor who has signed it.

I really need help reaching a wider audience.

PJ, I e-mailed Jeff Burk asking him if he'd post your link on DRO; haven't heard back yet.

I'm with Paul on this one, Pomona should be wild next year for the Finals. I think the new format will add alot of excitement, as well as controversy to the sport, but it will be exciting, and everyone will be tuned in to see it all.........:eek:

How many Football fans do we have in the house? And how do you guys feel about the way their titles are earned? Should Indy have been the champs last year, or is it okay that Pittsburg snuck in at the last minute (Leaker) then handed Indy their butts on a platter, and then went on to win it all. Indy had ONE BAD WEEKEND, then it was all over.

How about College Football, how about that Championship, that's a can of worms.

This petition is useless, if NHRA were to go on record and reverse this format back to the old, they would be the laughing stock of all Professional Sports. It is now a playoff system, like every other major sport in the world, learn to enjoy it for what it is.:cool:

Last edited:
I'm with Paul on this one, Pomona should be wild next year for the Finals. I think the new format will add alot of excitement, as well as controversy to the sport, but it will be exciting, and everyone will be tuned in to see it all.........:eek:

How many Football fans do we have in the house? And how do you guys feel about the way their titles are earned? Should Indy have been the champs last year, or is it okay that Pittsburg snuck in at the last minute (Leaker) then handed Indy their butts on a platter, and then went on to win it all. Indy had ONE BAD WEEKEND, then it was all over.

How about College Football, how about that Championship, that's a can of worms.

This petition is useless, if NHRA were to go on record and reverse this format back to the old, they would be the laughing stock of all Professional Sports. It is now a playoff system, like every other major sport in the world, learn to enjoy it for what it is.:cool:

NBA basketball just reversed a decision mid season regarding their ball and are being hailed for actually listening.

I'll try to give my brief answer

The football comparison- First when the playoffs start in a couple of weeks we will see the bears and saints play a playoff game against each other, they will not have to worry about the Packers and Lions, non playoff teams, competing on the same field at the same time. In Drag racing's version we will have playoff and non playoff teams competing. Does anyone remember the first year of nascar's chase when a non chase racer crashed and took out I believe 2 of the chase racers. Even this year, non chase racers admiteed that they did not race as hard for fear of taking someone out who is in the hunt. Is that not basically throwing a race, where's the interity in the championship then? People complain about team orders now, I can just imagine how much worse it will get under the new system. Do you take a light light against your teammate, family member or good friend?

Also when that playoff game starts the score is 0-0 rather then the 10 point incriment that we will see now.

Also in football there are 32 teams, yet teams play a 16 game schedule with 2 games against 3 teams twice. This mean in a season you only play 13 different teams. You need a playoff from their to determine who is the champ. Does the best team always win, no. We could argue that the best team doesn't win in drag racing now. Who was better this year Troxel, Shoe or Doug?? Each had great streaks with Tony running the best in the end but Doug had 2 more round wins and Capps won more races than Force .

In drag racing, the contenders are gonna run into each other eventually, ya know good old head to head combat, lets decide it on the track. Under the new system it takes away the imporance of the entire season and boils it down to a couple of races. Under this new system Herbert would have finsihed 2nd last year, all becasue of a few good races at the end. To me that is not right, the beauty and draw of drag racing, beyond the sights and sound, is that everything on the track matters. The winternationals is just as important as the Finals. In hockey you always here people say that the playoffs don't matter. That is what will happen now. Why race you butt off to get a 200 point lead when its only going to be 10 come Indy. I can see teams taking it easy, playing it safe with parts and budget just to make the great 8 then going nuts from their with their budgets.

Going in Indy this year 3 out of the 4 classes had a losing record in 8th place. Not championship caliber in my book.

TV ratings- This is a rip off of nascars failing system. In a recent poll almost 60% of nascars fans want to go back to their old system, another 20+% want changes and less than 20% want to keep it as it is. This is after 5 years. The tv ratings of nascars show this as well.
After an initial spike the first year they have declined every year since they started their chase. This year they saw double digit % loses in the chase races comapred to last year. The chase races also scored lower than their "regular season" races. We do not have the numbers nascar does, we can not afford to have such loses that this system will bring. If we do then we will no longer see nhra on tv, or at least not in the same day capacity that we do now.

Another side note to the nascar system, this years chase was so exciting :rolleyes: that all you had to do was average a 10th place finish to win the championship.

I want to know that at the end of the season the person on the stage is one who earned it and deserved it. I fear next year that this will not be the case.

Part of what made this last 2 seasons special was that they are special. We have years where Force or Anderson or whoemever just blows everyone away and thats fine, that makes me appreciate seasons like this even more. If I know only the last couple of races matter now, why bother wathcing the first 3/4 quarters of the season?

Ok I've already went longer than I meant to, I'll take a breath now :)

Part of what made this last 2 seasons special was that they are special. We have years where Force or Anderson or whoemever just blows everyone away and thats fine, that makes me appreciate seasons like this even more. If I know only the last couple of races matter now, why bother wathcing the first 3/4 quarters of the season?

Ok I've already went longer than I meant to, I'll take a breath now :)

Thats my point exactly. Yes everyone will watch the first few years to see how it turns out. But in the long run when every season it is a close battle in every professional class how is that going to benefit the sport? And what about the first time someone wins the championship when its obvious to everyone that they didnt deserve it based on their performance all year? Is that not going to turn off conventional drag racing fans? And arent those the fans that are going to keep the sport alive in the long run?

Nuff said...you are dead on with this petition PJ and dont let anyone tell you different.

It's going to take a lot more signatures to get anyone's attention. either not as many people hate the new points or not enough people have seen this petition.

Here is a list of tons of media people who may be willing to publish something about the petition. It doesn't hurt to ask.

NHRA Media

Looking forward to seeing this pan out! Maybe a surprise champ or two!

Fair enough for some of you to want to see how this pans out , but this point system is just wrong to me . How would you feel if you were in the drivers shoes and worked your butt off the whole season and tried to win as many races and get as much points as you could , then someone come along at the end and take the championship out from under you when the one with the most points should rightfully have won.

#358 Will the NHRA listen.........they will first have to pull there head out of their A$$ to hear anything. :mad:

Looking forward to seeing this pan out! Maybe a surprise champ or two!

And maybe one or two winning championships who don't deserve it in the least. Do you think some of these racers who are on record saying stuff like "it'll create drama for the fans, it'll be great, blah, blah" won't just get SMOKIN' pissed if they get dropped from the "playoffs" due to something like smoking the tires or having a throttle cable break, leaving themselves no more rounds to make it up, even if there are races still to go? You bet they will. The way I see it, you could always count on deserving champions with the way NHRA ran their show. No longer the case. The only reason Compton and Co. cooked up this screwy deal is to try and align drag racing with the other major sports as having playoffs to try and gain new fans and acceptance among more of the mainstream media. The majority of said media
(NOT all) had a hard enough time dealing with four pro champions; now they're expected to grasp multiple playoff scenarios on top of that? Good luck, NHRA. You're gonna need it.

It's going to take a lot more signatures to get anyone's attention. either not as many people hate the new points or not enough people have seen this petition.

Here is a list of tons of media people who may be willing to publish something about the petition. It doesn't hurt to ask.

NHRA Media

well thanks for the links. I just sent a letter to several on the list. Either it works or I just became a big joke.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back