Points system-make a stand (1 Viewer)

PJ, I don't know if you already know this or not, but I got Jeff Burk to post your link in DRO's We've Got Mail section. As others have said, probably a lost cause, but at the very least, we showed NHRA how we felt. Good work getting the ball rolling.

Wow PJ, Archambeault spun your petition as a positive for the NHRA because it got mentioned on ESPN.com in January! He must really believe any pub is good pub. 1,200 of our core customers are pissed off enough to sign a petition, but that's good because it's January and someone is talking about it on ESPN.com!
How do you figure this is bad? If 100% of the people who have signed (highly unlikely) are NHRA members, then roughly 2% of members are against the new system. Hardly an overwhelming number. NHRA is getting press in January, and the writer is firmly in support of the new system. The writer even goes as far as to argue the petition point by point with some pretty good rebuttals. Seems like a win for NHRA to be getting in the middle of the off season.

Like I said in the beginning of this thread, give it a chance. For those who signed the petition, there's nothing like pissing into the wind; your opinions mean nothing to the people in charge. Regardless, the chase will go on this year, with or without the doubters. Cheers to a safe 2007!

I wish I had the chance to argue the rebutals in the article.

I am disappointed in the teams and drivers that behind the scenes don't like the system but clam up when it's time to stand up. Apparently too many of them are afraid of real comptition and want the new welfare, whoever gets lucky system that nhra is instituting. We should just draw names at Pomona now to see who's the champ, it'll be just as accurate and fake and what we are going to have from now on.

I am glad that it did get on ESPN but I have to wonder how many people a) look at espn for drag racing coverage and b) look there in the off season. I was hoping it would hit the main page under the scroll or the headlines that way it could be seen by a wider audience. 1400+ is a nice number but nowhere near what is needed to make an impact. Based on the numerous polls from racing news site to here to sponsor sites people were at least 75% against the system, obviously I have failed in getting the word out to enough people.

Looks like I'm going to IHRA

i dont like the part where Blount says that the non-playoff racers having a shot at the playoff racers doesnt matter.....cuz basically the non playoff teams are gonna just taking shots in the dark at the playoff racers in hopes of knocking them off.....and if you take enough shots in the dark, eventually you are gonna hit something!!!

the last cutoff down to two is really what blows....robert hight prolly had the best car at the end of last year and something as stupid as a blower pulley seizing up screwed him.....if that happens this year under this system....heads will roll!

I just saw a news headline come over my ticker, stating that NASCAR is revamping their Chase to give more points to those who win during the season, thereby increasing the odds that racers who win during the season will make the Chase.

Just thought I'd update those who are interested.

Earlier this week I sent packets to Compton, the board and 2 people involved with espn2 production. We still don't have enough names yet and I'm looking for a way to hit a wider audience.

Also if anyone has contact info as to who on the powerade side deals with nhra that would be helpful.

NHRA points System Petition

I wish I had the chance to argue the rebutals in the article.

I'll do a few!

"(1) Every [NHRA] National event is a playoff by design. It is a true win or go home scenario."

Good point, but if someone has a 300-point lead with two races to go, the championship is over."

It still gets me that the emphasis is more on what's supposedly better for the viewers and not on what's fair for the teams. If someone had a 300 point lead, I thought it meant they earned and deserved it?

(2) In a true playoff, non-playoff teams do not compete at the same time and against playoff teams."

Why does that matter?"

See above. Because they didn't "earn" it? Why would that NOT matter to someone?

"(6) Currently, the entire season means something, every race, every round, every qualifying position. Under the new system, with losing records being able to get in, only the last six races mean anything now."

Not true. The regular season has more meaning because you have to push hard to stay in the top eight."

I wouldn't say the regular season now has "more meaning." I would say the regular season had more meaning under the old system if you were behind and wanted to have a chance at the championship. What does the regular season mean if you're behind now? Instead of fighting for number one, it'll be "We'd better get ourselves into at least number eight."

for those interested here is the letter I sent to NHRA

To NHRA:

As you may know a petition was started with the hopes of stopping the countdown points system from going into effect this season. While we appreciate the effort to bring our sport to more fans we feel that a move such as this will actually harm the sport.

Currently every race, every round, every qualifying position matters. Winning the Winternationals is just as important as winning the Finals. Under the new system this will not be the case. Yes the points per round will be the same, but winning the first two races of the season means nothing compared to winning the last two races. One of the great things about Drag Racing is that it is competition at its purest. There are no refs to make bad call, no home field advantage, no timeouts; it is one machine, driver and crew versus another. Success is based and earned over a season of hard work and not just on who hits a lucky streak at the right time.

There is also a fear that the new system will hamper performance on two fronts. First in the early part of the season, a team would be foolish to try to set a record. Why should they make the record harder themselves to reach later in the season when the points are at more of a premium. I fear this means 1000ft shut off runs on what used to be exciting night qualifying sessions. Also there have been many complaints and accusations of team diving over the past few seasons. One can only imagine the ramifications the new system will have as it is going to encourage such actions. Whether real or perceived the integrity of any sports competition is paramount. How will it encourage new fans to come and old fans to stay if there is any question as to the effort racers are giving while on the track? In years past alternates were allowed to enter the field on race day if a qualified entrant could not compete in the first round. After accusations of championship contenders buying their way back into the races surfaced the alternate rule was changed. It would be naïve to think this could not occur again under the new system.

I was dismayed while reading the fan guide this year as examples were given as to how past seasons would have played out under the new system. The examples given are precisely what is wrong with the countdown. Fans will talk for years to come about Tony Shumachers amazing finish last year, just as they do about the Funny car chases 1992 and 2005. Fans also still talk about the dominant seasons that greats such as Glidden, Force and Prudhomme have enjoyed. Under the new system we will no longer celebrate greatness as mediocrity will now be forced upon us. NHRA PowerAde Drag Racing championships have always been earned through a season’s worth of excellence, now it will be a matter of dumb luck and whoever happens to be on a lucky streak at the right time. The championship means nothing more now then if a name was just selected out of a hat.

Drag racing is not like stick and ball sports, nor is it like NASCAR and that is just one of the many draws to our sport. NASCAR tried making this same move a few years ago and has seen less then stellar results. In fact due to their system not working they are instituting changes this year. After three years of the chase, recent polls have shown over 75% of NASCAR fans still do not like it. The TV ratings show this to be true. Consider the following numbers NASCAR has seen. The final race of the season, which under a playoff should be the most anticipated and therefore most watched race, has seen its numbers decline. This past season saw a 10% drop from 2005 and a 24% drop from 2004. In fact, the market share of the last 10 races of the chase this year is lower then they were the year prior to going to the chase. Also the regular season numbers have dropped as well. This is not progress, this is not growing a sport. NHRA PowerAde Drag Racing can not afford to see these types of losses, which is why creating a similar system to theirs makes no sense. One major point to consider is that NASCAR fans do not have another choice yet the numbers there are still declining. Drag racing fans do have a choice; there are other sanctioning bodies out there that offer the same sport we love.

I have heard one argument repeatedly used by people against this petition and the efforts behind it and that is that we fear change. I find that argument to show a complete lack of knowledge and respect for drag racing and its fans. We are the sport of evolution, of innovation and yes, of change. We not only accept and encourage change but we expect it. What other sport has gone through the drastic changes over its history that we have? What started out as racing your dad’s car evolved into specially built racing machines. Front engine dragsters became rear engine. Who would have thought moving an axel would evolve into the modern day funny car? Performance changes and innovations continue to grow the sport today. Now while we do appreciate change we are also steeped in tradition. One of the most important is the integrity of our races and our championships. This new countdown system will tarnish the championships rendering them meaningless.

In closing I would like to point out the wisdom on the National Basketball Association’s (NBA) commissioner, David Stern. At the start of the current season the NBA switched to a new ball. Players had issues with the ball complaining about the grip and that the micro fibers would actually cut their fingers. Fans also did not like it as turnovers had increased with the new ball, which lead to sloppier games. In the middle of the season, Mr. Stern had the wisdom and foresight to overturn his decision and return to the old ball. This decision has been praised as Mr. Stern put his sport before any ego. I pray that our sport is led by such wisdom.

I invite you to look at the petition as it will stay active for as long as the countdown remains in place. We are not only fans but customers as well and we will continue to spread the word. NHRA points System Petition
Thank you for your time

PJ Sapienza

Personally, I still think someone's earning of a point lead is what should still matter more.

Like I told someone in a conversation last night about it. I could play lawer and argue either side of this one. I'm sure their old deal is what more of us diehards would be in favor of, and that the new deal might create more interest for someone who isn't already a big fan. We're going to care about things they wouldn't, and I guess they'll care about things that we wouldn't. The person I was talking to is definitely diehard and he says he loses interest when someone locks it up early.

Here's a thought: Force's (either one) first round loss is the amount of points needed to make the cut, leaving the team that NHRA will be focusing their media attention at on the sideline for the big finale...:rolleyes:

Seems like someone is taking aim at their own foot....

thanks I sent it to
Compton
Dallas Gardner (pres of the nhra board)
espn2 drag racing show producer
and I took a shot in the dark and tried Mike Dunn too

I now have some powerade names and I will try them as well.

Here's a thought: Force's (either one) first round loss is the amount of points needed to make the cut, leaving the team that NHRA will be focusing their media attention at on the sideline for the big finale...:rolleyes:

Seems like someone is taking aim at their own foot....

I would love for this to just explode on them

It would be great to have a big money team win 10 of those first 17 races, then fall flat for the middle 4 races, that way they'd miss the cut to 4. Then of course win the last two races. You'd end up with someone who won over half the races yet only finishes 5th.

I do feel bad for whomever wins the championships this year, unless they would have won it under the right system then they will not be viewed as a true champ.

I'm thinking about getting shirts made so poeple can wear them at the track touting how bad the clowndown sucks. Its a whole lot more in your face and could help the petition grow

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back