One of The Biggest Announcements in NHRA History (1 Viewer)

Marty,

It's about new eyeballs. If you are a drag racing insider, or even a casual fan this probably won't make any difference. But if you are not, this might get your attention to at least give us a look.

You don't have to believe it, but it is fact. Taylor Swift has got a lot of new eyeballs looking at the NFL, just because she is there. Many will look and move on, but some will become fans. And new fans are a beautiful thing.

If you know anything about sales, it's a numbers game. Get 10 people in the showroom and you might make a new sale. get 1000 people in and you will make many sales. You won't make 1000 sales, but if you make 100, it's a big win.

Worldwide Technology Raceway (Madison, IL.) sent an email blast saying "Come see Tony Stewart race in Top Fuel in 2024" and saw an uptick in ticket sales. That's a fact.

Alan
Wonder how many new fans Clay Millican's youtube channel has brought in. Why aren't more drivers doing this? It's a great thing.

Worldwide Technology Raceway (Madison, IL.) sent an email blast saying "Come see Tony Stewart race in Top Fuel in 2024" and saw an uptick in ticket sales. That's a fact.

No it isn't a "fact". Coincidence yes, but fact? No. Do you have evidence showing that the increase in sales was directly correlated to this? There could be any number of factors that lead to an increase in ticket sales.

Not that NHRA ever confirms what the ticket sales and attendance is anyhow.

When you send an email blast you have an idea what the percentage of the response will be. I don't have the exact numbers, but if you usually get 2%, then you offer a discount ticket and get 5% you can be pretty confident that the discount was what led to the bump. When your blast touts the fact that Tony will be racing in TF, when he didn't race the Nationals at your track last year at all (no TAD at that event) you can deduce that the reason for the uptick was the related to the announcement.

As for the ARMY, what Nate Said was true. Thousands of young people each year came through the NHRA YES program, and those contacts led to new recruits. The ARMY wasn't there because they loved racing, they were there to recruit.

Alan

Would the email contact itself be what prompted the increase, regardless of the content? Who knows. That discount likely meant more to people than some NASCAR has-been. People vote with the wallet.

You can deduce anything you want but if the premise itself is faulty any deduction is faulty too. No empirical evidence whatsoever of this cause-effect in this case. Coincidence only.

And again, with NHRA never releasing information about the number of tickets sold nor attendance figures, it makes above claim all the more spurious. Bottom line is this "big" announcement was little more than business as usual, yet another sad oversell by NHRA.

You said it. Some of those new eyeballs we might not want. Just listen to some of the music that idiot plays during breaks. Why not have a roving camera in the pits showing what is going on, for sure show sportsman action.

no kidding. that one carnival barker, forget his name, used to be pretty bad.

I've said it before on other posts - going after that lowest common denominator will reduce quality.

Wonder how many new fans Clay Millican's youtube channel has brought in. Why aren't more drivers doing this? It's a great thing.

Because the time and effort to do it is tremendous. Just look at how many start a YouTube channel or a podcast and quit in a couple of months. I applaud Clay for doing it and sticking with it. As well as his team for playing along. Now many Crew Chiefs would do what Jim-O does for the podcast?

It sounds like a fun deal, and you think you will sell a million bucks in shirts and hats every month, then it turns out you have another job, that doesn't pay anything and you quit.

Alan

Last edited:
Would the email contact itself be what prompted the increase, regardless of the content? Who knows. That discount likely meant more to people than some NASCAR has-been. People vote with the wallet.

You can deduce anything you want but if the premise itself is faulty any deduction is faulty too. No empirical evidence whatsoever of this cause-effect in this case. Coincidence only.

And again, with NHRA never releasing information about the number of tickets sold nor attendance figures, it makes above claim all the more spurious. Bottom line is this "big" announcement was little more than business as usual, yet another sad oversell by NHRA.

You are right, I don't know what I was thinking. An email sent out that said "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" resulted in people clicking a link to buy tickets. But it was probably a coincidence.

Genuinely curious, what business are you in? Do you do any online
marketing?

When you are selling something on the internet, you can put it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, banner adds, email and any number of things. And you can track every click that puts in an order.

Alan

EDIT: If you ran a racetrack would you be telling the fans that Tony Stewart would be racing in Top Fuel at your event?

Last edited:
I'm certainly biased and already a fan, but I can't imagine anyone experiencing fuel racing and not being hooked.
hope you're right. the amenties have me concerned at some tracks, clean restrooms, easy parking, reasonable food and beer price can go a long way. The big money is in viewership anyway. Full stands help the track, more viewers help NHRA. Limited downtime and good weather helps all.

If a 340 is run at Bradenton, will that be bigger news? Or will it be April 9 1988 all over again?

Do you have any value to add? You clearly just like to argue and spew BS.

Marty,

It's about new eyeballs. If you are a drag racing insider, or even a casual fan this probably won't make any difference. But if you are not, this might get your attention to at least give us a look.

You don't have to believe it, but it is fact. Taylor Swift has got a lot of new eyeballs looking at the NFL, just because she is there. Many will look and move on, but some will become fans. And new fans are a beautiful thing.

If you know anything about sales, it's a numbers game. Get 10 people in the showroom and you might make a new sale. get 1000 people in and you will make many sales. You won't make 1000 sales, but if you make 100, it's a big win.

Alan

Alan,
Here‘s why we don’t see this as a big announcement.
l appreciate your contribution to this forum, as your eyeballs are more focused on this sport than most of us. 👍
Marty ✌️
63E425CE-8EC6-4686-AB51-0C2241C76AE4.jpeg

Last edited:
You are right, I don't know what I was thinking. An email sent out that said "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" resulted in people clicking a link to buy tickets. But it was probably a coincidence.

marketing?

When you are selling something on the internet, you can put it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, banner adds, email and any number of things. And you can track every click that puts in an order.

Alan

EDIT: If you ran a racetrack would you be telling the fans that Tony Stewart would be racing in Top Fuel at your event?
Here is another angle I just thought of. How many Tony Stewart fans out there have been following him for years and years maybe even way back into his USAC or Indy Car days and have never gotten the chance to meet Tony face to face? These folks may be casual fans of motorsports but rooted for Tony because they are from Indiana or worked/shopped at Home Depot or used Old Spice and for whatever reason Tony was their guy. With Tony coming on board I would not only include in the email "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" but at would also mention, "Come meet Tony Stewart because every ticket is a pit pass!"

I was one that kind of scoffed when this announcement came down because like many on here when I heard, "biggest news in NHRA history" I felt it was a little anti-climatic but the more and more it has passed the more I realized it may not be too far off. I think in some ways I was splitting hairs because had it just been "big announcement" none of the backlash we have seen over social media would have happened. Anyway, we are talking about arguably one of the top five biggest names in American motorsports racing full-time in our sport. Listening to NASCAR's XM channel while at work in the days following the announcement it was dominated by the talk of Tony Stewart going Top Fuel racing. Even over on the NASCAR subreddit (over 1 million followers btw) I have seen more people interested in attending an NHRA race than ever before. I started off as a NASCAR fan when I was a little kid but in the last 15-20 years I am a bigger NHRA fan than anything and as an NHRA fan, I welcome any fan with open arms.

I will go out on a limb and say when you walk the pits in 2024, who will have the most fans at the ropes on Saturday & Sunday morning and other than MAYBE John Force it will without a doubt be Tony Stewart.

marketing?

Alan

"If I owned a track" isn't the point. Please stop distracting and deflecting from the original, 2 main points being made on the board.

Point 1 - Your statement:

And I maintain this is not a "fact", a coincidence. There is no evidence of cause/effect that because stating Tony Stewart will race in Top Fuel is the result of the "uptick" in ticket sales. Especially when a financial incentive was ALSO offered in that email about ticket renewals, and could just as well resulted in the "uptick". Secondly, as well documented and repeatedly said before, ticket sales and attendance figures are never released or corroborated, so is the uptick due to lower attendance last year, or an "uptick" on historical sales/attendance? What is the quantitative definition of "uptick"? 10 more tickets? 100? 1000?

And the second point is what the overwhelming sentiment among board members here is this was hardly some earthshaking, historic announcement, but yet again another overblown and overplayed hand by NHRA, to little surprise of most of us.

Here is another angle I just thought of. How many Tony Stewart fans out there have been following him for years and years maybe even way back into his USAC or Indy Car days and have never gotten the chance to meet Tony face to face? These folks may be casual fans of motorsports but rooted for Tony because they are from Indiana or worked/shopped at Home Depot or used Old Spice and for whatever reason Tony was their guy. With Tony coming on board I would not only include in the email "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" but at would also mention, "Come meet Tony Stewart because every ticket is a pit pass!"

I was one that kind of scoffed when this announcement came down because like many on here when I heard, "biggest news in NHRA history" I felt it was a little anti-climatic but the more and more it has passed the more I realized it may not be too far off. I think in some ways I was splitting hairs because had it just been "big announcement" none of the backlash we have seen over social media would have happened. Anyway, we are talking about arguably one of the top five biggest names in American motorsports racing full-time in our sport. Listening to NASCAR's XM channel while at work in the days following the announcement it was dominated by the talk of Tony Stewart going Top Fuel racing. Even over on the NASCAR subreddit (over 1 million followers btw) I have seen more people interested in attending an NHRA race than ever before. I started off as a NASCAR fan when I was a little kid but in the last 15-20 years I am a bigger NHRA fan than anything and as an NHRA fan, I welcome any fan with open arms.

I will go out on a limb and say when you walk the pits in 2024, who will have the most fans at the ropes on Saturday & Sunday morning and other than MAYBE John Force it will without a doubt be Tony Stewart.
I think your angle is well put and well taken.

Do you have any value to add? You clearly just like to argue and spew BS.
No more so nor less so than you sir. Feel free to ingore me if don't like or disagree with what I type, rather than attack me. Or kick me off here since you're a staff member. Doesn't matter to me.

Not everyone thinks just like me, or you. What you call arguing I would say is merely discussion.

"If I owned a track" isn't the point. Please stop distracting and deflecting from the original, 2 main points being made on the board.

Point 1 - Your statement:

And I maintain this is not a "fact", a coincidence. There is no evidence of cause/effect that because stating Tony Stewart will race in Top Fuel is the result of the "uptick" in ticket sales. Especially when a financial incentive was ALSO offered in that email about ticket renewals, and could just as well resulted in the "uptick". Secondly, as well documented and repeatedly said before, ticket sales and attendance figures are never released or corroborated, so is the uptick due to lower attendance last year, or an "uptick" on historical sales/attendance? What is the quantitative definition of "uptick"? 10 more tickets? 100? 1000?

And the second point is what the overwhelming sentiment among board members here is this was hardly some earthshaking, historic announcement, but yet again another overblown and overplayed hand by NHRA, to little surprise of most of us.

I enjoy a good discussion/debate. And I stand by what I said. WWT sends out email blasts during the year promoting upcoming events and they track what gets the better response. They can track if I clicked the one that offered "Free Parking", the one the offered a "Discount Plan", or the one that said "Come See Tony Stewart Race Top Fuel". The Tony Stewart one got more response in terms of clicks on the link and ticket sales. I don't see how you can think that's coincidence.

You made the statement: People vote with the wallet. That's what happened here, they were told of an opportunity and they bought tickets. Doesn't that validate exactly what you said?

As for the announcement, it's not about impressing those inside the bubble, (where I live and I'm thinking you do as well) I was already going to the races. It's about getting the TS fan from NASCAR, Sprint Car, Indy car or even the Chili Bowl to come see him race something else. Whether you personally like him or not is irrelevant, he has many fans, and we want them to come to the Drag Races. The best way to get to them, is to get the word out where they will see it. So you have to get coverage outside of the bubble. It's about generating buzz from places that don't normally give any attention to Drag Racing.

Can you tell me when is the last time NHRA garnered this much attention from the "Main Stream" media outlets that wasn't caused by an on track catastrophe?

Alan

Indy car did the 2-seater car deal at Indy with Mario Andretti driving it and if I'm not mistaken, I think it went away already.
Nope Still Their
1702859341257.png

Honda left and put out this weird press release that made it sound like the whole program was shutting down.

Picture taken at WWTR last year

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back